If Mammouth DNA is cloned, and a mammoth walks again

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:25 pm
Then the person or persons who do this, have created a new life, from lifelessness.

They are now the living image of God.

Prove this wrong.

How about we name the Mammoth Lazarus...

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 12:52 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Derek.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 12:59 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Derek.

eh, i say Melvin. Melvin the mammoth -- the alliteration seems more sonorous. "Derek" isn't bad, though.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 01:04 am
@Razzleg,
Derek was in honour of my Dodo who passed away last year.

If we're going the alliterative route, then may I suggest Marmaduke?
Razzleg

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 01:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
i proffer my apologies, to both you and Derek the [deceased] Dodo.

However, i find "Marmaduke" unacceptable -- it's reeks too much of "largeness", of too much regard for "redness". A worthy mammoth should not be reduced to these superficial descriptors.

How about Marmalade? i'm sure that he will be a very sweet mammoth. Marmalade, a so so sugary, sweet mouthful of a mammoth!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:12 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
You have a tendency to oversimplify things to the point of meaninglessness.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:21 am
@rosborne979,
And that is not an argument, as to why if a mammoth is cloned, which in this case means brought to life, from death, are the people involved, not the living image of God, as they have just created life, from lifelessness?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:40 am
Seems to me that if a mammoth is cloned...it would not, strictly speaking, be "brought from lifelessness."

Apparently DNA lives on after the death of the critter for whom it was the DNA.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:46 am
Quote:
I’m a paleobiologist at the Natural History Museum in London, and I live, sleep and dream mammoths. I doubt that there are many people in the world who would like to see a real-life woolly mammoth as much as I do. And yet I think cloning one would be ethically flawed.

Any attempt to clone a mammoth would probably require a living elephant – likely to be Asian – to act as a surrogate. To go through 22 months of pregnancy, carrying an animal of a completely different species as part of the experiment. An intelligent, social animal, at the brink of extinction, and one we know doesn’t do all that well in captivity.

And not just one elephant. In reality, many surrogates would be needed before a successful baby mammoth was born.

There are very good reasons for using animals in scientific research, but there are also strict ethical codes of practice that demand that the potential benefits of the research outweigh the suffering to the animals involved.

Does the potential benefit to humanity of cloning a mammoth outweigh the suffering an Asian elephant surrogate mother might experience? I’ve yet to hear a convincing argument that it does.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/18/mammoth-cloning-wrong-save-endangered-elephants
farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
and it will probably involve two generations of host elephant.

I suggest Charles, after Mr Darwin.

Charles B. D. Mammut

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:50 am
@izzythepush,
Cloning a mammoth, would not be ethically flawed, as it would prove both that God is real, and that humanity is the image of God. Thus the atheist, now say do not clone the mammoth. Should rhinos not be cloned, if and when they become extinct?

Sheesh.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:52 am
@farmerman,
Izzy, quoting Herfidge, made a great point.

If the cloner would carry the fetus...maybe it would be easier to sign on to the idea.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:53 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

Cloning a mammoth, would not be ethically flawed, as it would prove both that God is real, and that humanity is the image of God. Thus the atheist, now say do not clone the mammoth. Should rhinos not be cloned, if and when they become extinct?

Sheesh.

Cloning a mammoth would NOT in any way prove that GOD IS REAL...or that humanity is the image of GOD.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yes it would, as God created life from lifelessness. Bye the way, since that comes from the bible, thus mammoth cloning also validates key bible text.

However you can yell no all that you want, as this is illogical, since it has not even happened yet.

Why not comment on cloning the rhino, if they are hunted to extinction?

What would God do?

Would God preserve and create, the abundance of life.

Sheesh
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Seems to me that if a mammoth is cloned...it would not, strictly speaking, be "brought from lifelessness."

So you are claiming that a 40,000 year old mammoth, that was partly eaten by predators, before being frozen, is not dead.

Whoosh, ok.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:33 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
The reasons why it would be ethically flawed are listed, just because it doesn't fit in with your twisted morality doesn't mean it's not ethically flawed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:34 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

Quote:

So you are claiming that a 40,000 year old mammoth, that was partly eaten by predators, before being frozen, is not dead.

Whoosh, ok.

Obviously you need reading lessons, Thumbs. I mentioned that apparently DNA lives on after the death of the critter for whom it was the DNA. Look up there...you will see it. Really.

So no, I was not claiming that a partly eaten 40,000 year old mammoth is not dead.

Jeez! Ya gotta 'splain everything to some people.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Later on in the article she does make the point that cloning passenger pigeons might work, because you're just mucking about with an egg.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:35 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

Yes it would...

No...it would not.

Quote:
Sheesh

Sheesh indeed!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:45 am
we already have a mammouth clown in canada, he's a big blustering dope by the name of John Baird, he's our minister of foreign affairs

http://www.thatsswell.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/0806-baird.jpg