Haute couture houses profit from an influx of new money

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:25 am
After the loss of almost 80,000 jobs (worldwide) yesterday - and an Icelandic prime minister - to the credit crunch, it is perhaps heartening to note there is one industry doing well: la haute couture:

"We may be in recession but the top end of the rag trade certainly hasn't noticed," the Times remarks in its piece on the spring/summer launch of the Dior collection yesterday.

Dior has apparently shown a sales increase of 35% on 2007. Chanel, it is reported, also has sales figures up 20%.
The Dior president, Sidney Toledano, gave a neat summary of the anomaly. "The demand for very high-end products continues to be very strong. Very rich people are not suffering from the crisis and workshops have been very busy."

Quote:
We may be in recession but the top end of the rag trade certainly hasn’t noticed. Haute couture, the premier league of fashion, where a single dress can cost more than £200,000, is in rude health. Dior, which presented its new spring/summer collection in Paris yesterday, in a show that cost about £2 million to stage, has shown a sales increase of 35 per cent on 2007.

John Galliano, its creative director, was bullish, displaying a flamboyant selection of gowns owing more to Marie Antoinette than Make Do and Mend.

Chanel, which presents its collection this morning, is also on the up, boasting 20 per cent sales increases on last year. Sidney Toledano, Dior president, said that these sales figures were not a blip in a dwindling market. “The demand for very high-end products continues to be very strong. Very rich people are not suffering from the crisis and workshops have been very busy,” he said. Industry sources believed that the double-digit increases will continue.

For a house to attain haute couture status " translated literally as “high sewing” " it must adhere to several important requirements. La Chambre Syndicale, couture’s governing body, insists that they must design made-to-order clothes for private clients, present at least 35 looks at the shows twice a year and own a workshop in Paris that employs at least 15 craftsmen or women. It is no wonder that there are only 20 or so designers left.

The handmade traditions and rigorous selection process have remained the same for more than a hundred years. The industry notoriously guards its customers’ identities. Until recently 60 per cent of the 1,500 or so women who perch on gilt chairs in Parisian marquees twice a year to watch the world’s most expensive clothes float past have been American.

But the client base is shifting. The Park Avenue princesses such as Betsey Bloomingdale are a dying breed. Deprived of funds in recent seasons, their seats have been commandeered by women from emerging markets. While couture houses keep quiet about their clients, Russian, Chinese and Middle Eastern women, whose ostentatious dress sense suits the couture aesthetic, now make up the majority.
Source: Times
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,847 • Replies: 8
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
The rich get richer...
hamburger

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
i read in the canadian business news that canada's furriers would be out of business if it weren't for sales to rusia , china and the middle-east .
the article also stated that "mini-furs" have become popular with some rap stars .
while a few years ago , women wearing a fur coat might have their coats spray-painted , the rap stars apparently have made the wearing of furs acceptable
(not many protesters would want to spray BIG BAD DADDY's furcoat Shocked )
hbg

want to buy some furs ?.see here :

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CA-suppliers/Fur_Coats.html

50 CENTS properly outfitted :

http://www.50centrapstar.com/files/images/50%20Cent%20Fur%20Coat%20%20Picture.preview.jpg

trappers and furriers have also climbed aboard the GREEN bandwagon - furs are a NATURAL product !!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 04:19 pm
That's a gorgeous wrap ol Fiddy is wearing. Say what you will but a gorgeous fur is a sight to behold and absolutely nothing is warmer when it's 20 below 0 and you're out in it waiting for a bus or a train.
hamburger

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 04:27 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote :

Quote:
Say what you will but a gorgeous fur is a sight to behold and absolutely nothing is warmer when it's 20 below 0 and you're out in it waiting for a bus or a train.

i bet fiddy doesn't have to stand in the snow waiting for a bus or train to carry him around . Wink

a more appropriate means of transportation for anyone with a furcoat :

http://www.westcoastlimo.com.au/IMG_0875.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:21 pm
@eoe,
That was my immediate thought too...

Or maybe show gets extra important as even the rich stare at lowering numbers.

I somewhat follow fashion, because I like design, but sometimes I just don't get it. The whole purse thing... not that I don't like good looking purses, but the money for some of them amazes me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:25 pm
Nah. Being chauffered around town is hardly on the same level. I had a fur while living in Chicago. Many women and men do. It's almost a necessity when the temp drops and the wind comes off that lake like a knife and you're still expected to come in to work every morning. I've waited on buses with a fur coat and without one and I prefer the fur, thank you very much. Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:32 pm
@eoe,
I understand the anti fur thing, but I was bug eyed in Venice, Italy, back in the late eighties in early March. Such incredibly gorgeous fur coats on many women.. I started taking photos, have to scan them some day. I remember one well-coated woman walking a toddler in a stroller, and another sitting waiting for someone on the pedestal of a beautiful sculpture..
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Which reminds me, Walter, your trip is coming up! You know we expect photos..
0 Replies