C Barry

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:28 pm
What species did beetles and ladybugs evolve from?
What are ladybugs' spots made of and what is their purpose?
Is it true that ladybugs are good luck?
Do ladybugs, beetles, and other insects have a positive or negative effect on the environment?
How often do ladybugs grow spots, and do all species grow spots?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,090 • Replies: 4
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:42 pm
@C Barry,

I'm not an expert (at anything really) so this is the only part of your question I can answer:
Quote:
Is it true that ladybugs are good luck?

yes, definitely. So if you find one in your house, you should never kill it. Take it outside and say, 'Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home....' and you will have really good luck (at least for the rest of that day- my grandmother taught me that).
patiodog

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:44 pm
@aidan,
However, if you live in southern Wisconsin and you have swarms of those ladybug imposter Japanese beetles who breed in the soybeans and appear in huge numbers after every harvest, kill the **** out of 'em. They're hell on the trees.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:49 pm
true ladybugs are very beneficial to gardens, they feed on aphids
0 Replies

mab3803

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:08 pm
@C Barry,
The number and distribution of spots helps to identify the species of ladybug. These are in a large family of beetles called coccinellids (Coccinellidae), and there are MANY coccinellid species in North America. Many species are marked with spots or bands. With few exceptions, both larvae and adults are beneficial as predators on aphids and other pests, often resulting in effective control of these plant pests. A few species are phytophagous and are crop pests.
I can't speak to how lucky they are, but the deliberate introduction of a non-native Asian ladybug has driven at least a couple of our native Ladybug (e.g., two-spotted ladybug) numbers down dramatically. Nobody has really noticed, because we just think of a ladybug as a ladybug.
0 Replies