Slumdog Millionaire

Shapeless

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:02 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Not one person finds this movie's subject matter of non interest?

My reaction, at any rate, was that the actual plot of the movie is laughable and absurd--the tritest fairy-tale fantasy--and yet at the end of the movie I am not in the least bit tempted to laugh because I'm too busy thinking about how horrifying the stuff outside the fairy tale was. That's an impossibly tricky line to toe, and in my opinion an admirable feat, and that's why I praise the movie.
fgkee

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:27 pm
it's really great...can't miss it
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:55 pm
@Shapeless,
The 'City Of Joy' with Patrick Swayze was also about the slums not of Mumbai (Bombay) but of Kolkata (Calcutta). It has a Charles Dickens quality to it as well. It is near the Howrah Bridge which is shown in the flick. There is a market there that sell all kinds of things eg. puppies, homing pigeons, etc. Calcutta was where the British Raj ruled. The movie never showed the marble Victoria Memorial or the Maidan.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
mainstream america is blessed by the internet, truth is hard to miss when it is smacking you in the face.

in a few decades ignorance will most likely be eliminated.

I hope deceit and censorship doesn't rise accordingly.
0 Replies