Book or Movie, Does reading the book first spoil the movie?

renew

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 09:23 am
I'm usually disappointed in a movie if I've read the book first. Can you think of any movies where the movie was actually better than the book?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 09:40 am
Rosemary's Baby
0 Replies

Boat Anchor

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 09:46 am
I have to agree with you..

I think Firm and that other Grisham book.. where thast little dude saw the suicide.. There's Tommy Lee Jones in the movie acting the agent.. Anyway, I think they were good even though I've read the books first!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:55 am
My favorite example of a Book-Movie pair is The Tin Drum.

The movie was extremely faithful to the book up to a point. And at that point the movie ended and the book went on. Had the movie continued, choices would have been made to keep the length of the movie under four hours that would have ruined the integrity of it all...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:42 am
I thought A Clockwork Orange the movie was as a very good adaptation of a novel. Frankly, no movie can ever reproduce a novel, but can only interpret it.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 11:23 am
Swimpy they left out the final chapter.....thats not good IMO lol, I don't think reading the book before hand spoils the movie it just shows you what they are trying to work with. It also shows you that an original vision is best and in most cases trying to change that vision will only make things worse.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:04 pm
Silence of the Lambs
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
Blade Runner.
Better, more focused and contrived than "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

Now, the typical case of dissapointment is "The Name of the Rose". The movie by itself is not bad, but is sooo much below the book.

Got to agree with Seal Poet on "The Tin Drum" (they would also have to "grow" Oskar). Though I would have enjoyed the other hour and a half
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 12:38 pm
safecracker, I don't have a problem with what a movie leaves out as long as the movie can stand on its own.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 12:57 pm
I just felt that without the last chapter it wasn't "complete"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 03:06 pm
Cutter's Way (aka Cutter and Bone), a movie I rarely hear of with John Heard and Jeff Bridges and Lisa Eichorn, was to me more memorable than the book. In this case I read the book after the movie; for all I know it was written after the movie, but probably wasn't. I liked both, but the movie writing and direction, the visuals (such as the horse ride, which I guess can be listed under direction), the movie score, and some of the acting make this one movie I prefer to the book.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:31 am
Reading the book always wrecks the movie. Because the movie just can't dissect the characters the way a book can.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:34 am
I'd rather read the book first, as the film spoils the book. Am I the only one here who thinks this way?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:03 am
I usually see the film first. If I really like it, I will go out and get the book. In most cases, the book is superior to the film, because when you read a book, you add your own interpretation to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
I read a huge number of books and see few movies recently, though I have probably seen a thousand in my moviegoing past. I appreciate both for different reasons but the ratio of movies I have loved to movies seen vs books loved to books read is much lower. It hasn't happened all that often that I have both read the book and seen the movie, but when it has I have usually enjoyed the book much more - except for my Cutter's Way example.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:39 am
Another film dissapointment was "Lo straniero" (The Stranger), directed by Visconti and based on the book by Albert Camus.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:44 am
I read "2001" before I saw the movie, and it was very helpful to me. The movie expects the reader to connect a lot of dots, whereas the book explains everything very clearly. I do agree that in general a book is better than a movie made from it. An exception, though, would be "The Bourne Identity." The recent second film version was much better than the novel.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 10:23 am
I have seen many films (I can't think of any off hand) where I probably would have understood and enjoyed the film more had I known of inter-relationships earlier as would have been the case if I had read the book.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 12:51 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I'd rather read the book first, as the film spoils the book. Am I the only one here who thinks this way?

No. . . actually I see more people not liking movies that liked the books. . .there are a lot of books out there that are great, but when made into movie form just get the life sucked out of them. Clear and Present Danger comes to mind. . . Loved the book. . . hated the movie. I will never see another Tom Clancy adaptation because of the way they thrashed that book.

flyboy804 wrote:
I have seen many films (I can't think of any off hand) where I probably would have understood and enjoyed the film more had I known of inter-relationships earlier as would have been the case if I had read the book.

Weirdly enough, for me a novelization actually helped me understand the movie better. . . Maybe I should have been paying more attention to the movie, rather than the girl two seats over. . .

I love books. . . . I love movies. . . the two shouldn't go together, yet someone I can't seperate them. A book I loved made into a movie almost guarantees I see the movie. . . .
0 Replies