SHECKY BIDEN- we have comedy in the administration

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
I searched Agnew quotes just now, and found one that surprised me.

"The American people should be made aware of the trend toward monopolization of the great public information vehicles and the concentration of more and more power over public opinion in fewer and fewer hands."
Spiro T. Agnew

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:08 am
@edgarblythe,
I always thought that Spiro's speech writers all had to be closet Democrats having fun with their boss by putting outrageous nonsense into his pronouncements. He didn't sound that ridiculously pompous when speaking off the cuff.
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:12 am
@Merry Andrew,
I believe that William Safire and Pat Buchanan were Agnew's speech writers--at least some of the time. Safire was responsible for "nattering nabobs of negativity."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:14 am
@DrewDad,
It didn't help that Ford also hit a guy in the head with a golf ball while out on the links.
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:17 am
Here we go, it was a woman whom he hit with a drive . . . according to this source:

Quote:
While Ford was President, though still athletic and in good health, he had the unfortunate luck of slipping and falling several times, and it always made the news. Once, while playing golf, his drive accidentally drifted into a crowd of spectators and struck a lady on the head. The clip was repeatedly aired on television, and Ford's seeming clumsiness was parodied ruthlessly by Chevy Chase on Saturday Night Live.

As i recall, Ford had an unfortunate capacity for reinforcing what was probably an unjustified stereotyping of the man.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:28 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It didn't help that Ford also hit a guy in the head with a golf ball while out on the links.

Well, at least he didn't shoot anyone in the face.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:50 am
let's not underestimate the " great stone face*", richard nixon

his ability to deliver comic lines with a straight face was astounding, who can ever forget, "i am not a crook", classic

*apologies to buster keaton
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, Joe has the annoying habit of taking his speeches and "Adding" a bit of ad libbing here and there. This is what drives his guys nutz. Im certain he will provide us with many smiles and chuckles.
I can always hope.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 12:18 pm
One of our past chancellors in Germany, Heinrich Luebke, was the ultimate
comedian. We've had enough material to outlast him.

While on an official visit to Africa, he held a speech and started like this:

"Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, dear N***er! Everyone just gasped.
0 Replies