Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:24 pm
Im trying a different combination of stuff for soup.

Beets + butternut squash.

For some reason, Im thinking something sweet will make this soup good.
Honey perhaps? Maybe thick creme and for-go the honey?

Maybe garlic? forget sweet completely..

I have only had a few beets lately and I frankly enjoy them.. and i love butternut squash.

They are steaming now to help make them mushy before going into the pot of water...

suggestions?

You think this is even going to work?
I very well may be making the most disgusting thing on the planet Laughing
But im ok with that..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,069 • Replies: 16
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:25 pm
Ginger.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:26 pm
@FreeDuck,
fresh??

I have dried powder stuff... no idea how good it is though.

Funny.. I looked at ginger earlier thinking it might work
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:28 pm
@shewolfnm,
I would go with fresh if you can find it. And garlic isn't a bad idea either -- I wouldn't mind using both.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:35 pm
@shewolfnm,
First, throw out the beets. I hate beets.

My favorite butternut squash soup is a curry cocoanut. Bake the squash until soft. Chop some onions and sauté in butter and olive oil. Add curry type spice plus nutmeg, cumin, salt, cinnamon, allspice - you get the idea- spices make this soup- so go heavy. Toss in the cleaned up baked squash (I assume you know what I mean by cleaned up). Add one can real cocoanut milk (none of that low fat crap) and puree with a soup blender (or whatever you puree with). Add water to make it more like soup. Top with yogurt and chopped cilantro.

If you insist on eating the beets, I would roast them with the squash and serve them on the side with a yogurt sauce.

mac11

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:38 pm
How about roasted garlic? It makes it kind of sweet.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:42 pm
@shewolfnm,
I have another reason why you should not put the beets in with your squash - they are going to make the soup look like a bowl of bloody diarrhea. You always have to take into acount what beets do in terms of color to food.

The ginger (fresh or dried) would work.
Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:11 pm
@Green Witch,
Yea....what GW said/wrote....
Color would be off -- w-a-y off and taste wouldn't balance out, either. Beets are like adding dye to something. Make a beet soup..or make squash soup but not combine the two. Butternut squash soup could have spices like garlic, ginger...and/or saffron, etc. I tried adding toasted sesame oil to it but it was too strong or somehow wrong.

Beet soup (could be a Borscht which there are several varieties) often has sour cream or yoghurt added..or maybe even dill as suggestions. Beets benefit from onion or leek or potato slices. Some add hard-boiled egg slices.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:02 pm
Butternut squash and apricot jam go well, and it's sweet.
Red beet soup in itself is very good - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:47 pm
If you use sweet, you need sour also, (Rice vinegar). Then, to bring it all together get you some hamhocks and chunks of Virginia Ham. Let this simmer and overnight development. Tomorrow you will have a nice variety of Borscht.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
sweet with butternut: sauteed onions and/or apples. I'd keep the beets, esp if you add the apples. But, I like beets and weird looking food doesn't throw me.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 06:30 am
Oooo.. yall.. ? That soup?
was awesome.

Yeah. It was red like a crayola factory. And beets smell odd when steamed.
But I am loving them lately.

I kept the beets + squash.
I added a pear, ran ( literally) to the store and got a tiny piece of fresh ginger + garlic. Grated them and put them into the soup.
Added .. dont cringe... added about 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt , and then some honey.

It was the oddest combination I have ever had on my tongue.. but .. it was REALLY good.
Jillian and I gorged ourselves on blood red soup.
I love it and I will do it again.

It was.. unique.. the way I like food. I like it when you have to pause and pay attention to what is in it because your pallet just bounces around to everything. Just.. WOW.

though.. texture? ugh. Blahh.. that was not what I was expecting. This is the first time I have had pureed steamed beets and they turn into a dry applesauce consistency.. not nice.. But with the squash it smoothed out .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 06:31 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

First, throw out the beets. I hate beets.

My favorite butternut squash soup is a curry cocoanut. Bake the squash until soft. Chop some onions and sauté in butter and olive oil. Add curry type spice plus nutmeg, cumin, salt, cinnamon, allspice - you get the idea- spices make this soup- so go heavy. Toss in the cleaned up baked squash (I assume you know what I mean by cleaned up). Add one can real cocoanut milk (none of that low fat crap) and puree with a soup blender (or whatever you puree with). Add water to make it more like soup. Top with yogurt and chopped cilantro.

If you insist on eating the beets, I would roast them with the squash and serve them on the side with a yogurt sauce.

Oh man.
That sounds wonderful. I will follow it right up to the coconut part.
Im allergic. Terribly.

Substitutes? For sweet I use heavy cream with a little rice syrup .. would that work?
Green Witch

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:34 am
@shewolfnm,
I'm really surprised you're allergic to cocoanut - what a shame - it's sooo good.

I would say turn it into a traditional bisque using organic heavy cream or half & half. You probably don't need the rice syrup.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:38 am
@Green Witch,
It is an odd allergy.
One doctors when I was young doubted.
But when i eat the meat, I get blister like things on my skin . Not quite a hive because they are.. well.. I will save the details. Its pretty bad.
I have a few scars on my body from a break out when I was about 19. Thats when I learned to read labels.

Isnt coconut milk sweet though?
Or am I remembering wrong..
Green Witch

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:50 am
@shewolfnm,
Coconut milk comes two ways - with sweetner and plain. The sweet one if for those cocktail drinks you have on beach and for rich desserts. For regular cooking you want the straight coconut milk. Thai Kitchen has a good one, but not the low fat version. It just doesn't work for cooking or anything else. Stick to the one in the can with the red label ( I think it's red).

You might want to experiment and just eat a teaspoon of the milk and see what happens. You might have been allergic to the sulfates they put on the meat to keep it white. People often find what they can't tolerate at one age is fine a few years later. I have never heard of a coconut allergy, but everyone is different.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 01:02 pm
@Green Witch,
Hah, I'm not a beet person (maybe one of these days) and I recently made a butternut squash potato soup - with a chopped onion long sauteed/low flame in olive oil with a few minced garlic cloves tossed in at the end of that, boiled then mashed red potatoes, roasted butternut squash/squished, madras curry powder, some sweet red pepper salsa available here in Abq, a bunch of fresh basil leaves torn up, lots of black pepper.

This wasn't a sweet soup though.. I'm not very attracted to sweet soups. Carrot soup once in a while, but even that I savory-up.
0 Replies