Do-Not-Call Listing Remains Up in air

PDiddie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:49 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Why isn't anyone as concerned about the millions of tobacco growers being put out of work by society's changing attitudes toward the annoyances produced by that occupation?

Because they have profited from generous government subsidies for decades...?

(Are there actually millions of tobacco growers? And they wouldn't be able to grow anything else? Or is that just hyperbole?)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:15 am
PDiddie
Those generous government subsidies you speak of did not go to the people who work and are supported by that industry. Those who are soon to be or already have been throw out of work and will be joining the growing ranks of the unemployed
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:03 am
Quote:
Americans resent telemarketers' commandeering phones and phone lines that they do not pay for, to spread messages that are not wanted. And they are enraged by the latest technology, predictive dialers, which allows telemarketers to call several homes at once and connect to the first that answers, hanging up on everyone else.
Excerpt from the NY times article confirming what I had previously stated. How many times have you rushed to answer the phone and been greeted by silence?
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/27/opinion/27SAT1.html?th
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:32 am
I think the most amusing thing about this entire episode--funny ha ha and funny stupid--is the vitriol spewed by John and Jane Lunchbucket.

"Intrusion", "despise", "leeches", "scumbags" are all descriptions I have read (not here, mostly). In your citation above: "resent", "commandeering".

Excuse me; did pirates board your vessel? :wink:

I never heard words like that uttered about Saddam Hussein, for Christ's sake.

au, it's been years--and maybe decades--since I've 'rushed' to the phone.

Caller ID and Callnotes screen my calls.

"The poor and elderly cannot afford..." Rolling Eyes

A cell phone could actually be less expensive and would be more mobile (no getting up and rushing) than a land line for the poorer elderly. Every service offers Caller ID and voicemail now, too. Since there's no directory for cellular numbers, they receive fewer 'cold' calls.

That said, the legislation will ultimately carry the day after numerous court challenges and some revisions so that it passes Constitutional muster. (BTW, D-N-C in its present form addresses predictive dialing. Read it.)

And in the meantime, telemarketers are going to respect the registry.

So....congratulations.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
Pdiddle
Bully for you I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have answered the phone and gotten silence. That in the middle of dinner and at times in the shower.
0 Replies