Warning Dangerous Spyware Message

Kepar

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:15 pm
My computer seems to have picked up a virus. PC is running Windows XP. When desktop opens, big message "Warning Dangerous Spyware" etc. shows up. If I try to click anywhere, a popup saying something to the effect invalid floating command shows up. Any ideas what I got hit with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,960 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:29 pm
@Kepar,
do not click on that pop-up! Open your anti-spyware from its source and run it immediately.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:36 pm
@Kepar,
Also - if you did get the virus, go to a reputable website and to a forum in it that can address computer viruses.

I had good luck at pcpitstop.
Kepar

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:18 pm
@littlek,
What is the virus name? I'm going to have to try to find a cure because it's not allowing me web acccess.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:39 pm
@Kepar,
There are a lot of different bits of malware that can do what you describe and no matter what you'll need to perform a scan.

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware software? If so, try to run a scan of your entire computer. If not get one. This one's free:

http://free.avg.com/

You can also download free anti-adware software like adaware and run a scan.

Please try both, and remove any threats they report and let us know how it goes.

Edit: you say you don't have internet access, but you are on the internet now. If you don't have AV and anti-malware software you will need to download it on another computer and get it onto your infected machine.
Kepar

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The computer that got hit isn't being allowed internet access. Also, it didn't have any AV software running on it. I'll download some and get it on that machine. I won't be able to tackle that till the weekend as work must take precedence. Thank you all for the advice.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:23 pm
@Kepar,
Ok, if you need any help just ask. These things can be stubborn and require multiple tools/attempts.

It's also worth considering if it's worth cleaning vs. a backup of data and a fresh install in any such case. Sometimes, if there's not a lot on the computer that needs to be saved it takes less effort to start from scratch.

Of course, there are a lot of reasons that's not viable and if you can't do that I can try helping you with manual removal in the event that the automated scans don't do it.
0 Replies