What is the movie this came from?

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:19 pm
From a fairly recent film (last 10 years or so). The main character, a man in his 20s or 30s, lives in an apartment building. One of his downstairs neighbors is a male psychiatrist. The young man is plagued by indecision about some important choice he has to make (over a woman?). Anyway, one early morning or very late night, he visits the psychiatrist neighbor to ask his advice. The psychiatrist is sitting opposite him. The man asks him something like "What do you tell your patients to do?" The psychiatrist replies with something like this: "Most people already know what to do. They just can't accept what they know is the right decision. I help them realize that they already know."

What was the film? What is the exact quote? Trying to remember this more precisely is driving me crazy! Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,378 • Replies: 6
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:35 pm
@foxfoxfox,
I can only think of billy wilder's "the apartment" with jack lemmon and shirely mclaine. maclaine attempts suicide in lemmon'a apartment and the doctor (Jack Kruschen as Dr. Dreyfuss) saves her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apartment

Dr. Dreyfuss's admonition and plea to Lemmon's character "be a mensch!" is most memorable
foxfoxfox

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:54 pm
@kuvasz,
I know that film (The Apartment). It's definitely not that film. The one I'm trying to remember better is much more recent.

Thanks anyway! I hope someone else here knows....
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
@foxfoxfox,
See if any of the films in this list might be it:

http://uk.imdb.de/keyword/apartment-building/neighbor/?sort=release_date
foxfoxfox

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:43 am
@Butrflynet,
What a cool database! However, this movie is not listed for those keywords. I'm hoping someone on this forum has a memory of this part of the film. Since it was not the climax of the film or a very important part of the film, it might not be listed in a database. Thanks anyway!
rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:59 pm
@foxfoxfox,
Are you thinking of _Good Will Hunting_? I can't remember the actual conversations that occurred in that film but it seems like something that might have been said. Did Robin Williams play the psychiatrist in the film you are trying to remember?

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:41 am
@foxfoxfox,
You could try giving us a more complete description of the actual movie plot. That would help track it down for you via a database search.
0 Replies