The Philadelphia Project

skeptic

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 10:53 pm
The Philadelphia Experiment: The story goes like this: In the fall of 1943, the U.S. Navy, based on a thoery that all objects emitted electricity and if this electric current could be somehow precisely reversed it would cause the object to DISAPPEAR, actually hooked up a ship known as the USS Eldridge to a bunch of electric generators and made the ship disappear off the coast of Pennsylvania!!!
Wait, it gets better......the ship reappeared off the coast of Virginia!! Then disappeared again and reappeared back near Philadelphia. But when it reappeared most of the crew never were seen again and some of the rest of the crew were found EMBEDDED IN THE WALLS of the ship!!

I bring this up for as a mental exercise. There is no proof that this event occured. And also no proof that it did not. Only circumstantial evidence on both sides.

I claim that it is NOT illogical to come to the conclusion that this event never happened!!
In the same way that it is not illogical to have opinions about the existence of God.

Any thoughts?

Greg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,127 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:32 am
Hey, skeptic and welcome to A2K. Interesting about that. Smacks of The Bermuda Triangle. I saw that movie, and it was fascinating. Here's some additional info on your subject:

http://www.angelfire.com/id/PR/phillysteak.html

I was surprised to find out about the actual experiment that was done in 1939. No different, I suppose, than Goddard's rocket.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
I remember seeing a show on the history channel I think it was? Well it was about the Bermuda triangle. It "showed" the Blinking in and out of existence, it was pretty.

Have your views on God, everyone does.
0 Replies

Djghost01

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:29 pm
I think this is a old topic, buts its been bugging me since I've learned about it. When I researched it, I got information that the men aboard the Eldridge. It was transported over radio waves, and when it reappered, the crew was melded with the ship, (being apart of the mechanics, frame, weapons, etc. ) The problem was that there wasn't, ( and isn't) a system to produce enough amps to allow safe passage...its crazy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:52 pm
truth
Ddjghost, sounds like Startrek's sci.fi. notion of the beaming device where people and things can be disassembled and projected elsewhere where they are reassembled. But they must be careful to aim the atoms of the person or thing carefully lest he or it be embedded in something, like a wall or rock.
You say there is no evidence either way (for this urban myth), but that some of the ship members were found embedded in the body of the ship. Arn't their bodies evidence?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:55 am
This actually sounds like that one episode of the X-Files where they got sent back in time to this ship that got lost in the Bermuda triangle during WWII, or it got sent forward, or something. Damn good episode.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:55 am
rufio, I've watched some re-runs of the X-files lately, and I saw one about "Three Wishes". I loved it, because Mulder took great care in composing his last wish. As kids, we used to play that game, and it occurred to me that I would be just as dumb today with my last wish as we all were as children.

Anyone here ever read the short story, "The Monkey's Paw"? Wow...
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:07 pm
Yeah, that was a good one too. Smile Semantics is such a tricky beast. The one with the ship is called Queen Anne, I think, BTW. Or something like that. I really like the one with Morris Fletcher too, but I can't remember the name (might have actually been, "Morris Fletcher"). It had one of the gay guys from Best in Show in it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:32 pm
I'm gonna ask it anyway, rufio. Where are you from? I ask because cockney is a fascinating street language, somewhat like "jazz speak". I didn't see that episode of the XFiles I don't think, but I recall one where everyone was becoming older rapidly.

I would like to add this to the discussion. I realize that every language has idioms, so that won't be included here. It's the homonyms, heteronyms, etc. that give those trying to learn English, a very difficult task.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:12 pm
I'm from Arizona - don't know any cockney, lol.

The one where everyone grows old - that's the one where they get stuck on the ship with the salt water, right?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
skeptic

Logic is to Opinions as Acoustics is to Music.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:19 pm
I think, rufio, but I'm not certain. I do believe it was something in the water...lol. Cockney is probably more of a dialect, anyway.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:52 pm
Great analogy, Fresco. Gotta think about that. Hmmmm."logic is to opinions as acoustics is to music..."

Hey, buddy. I get great acoustics in my living room. No reverb; no feed back on the amps...hee hee. Probably because I do the acoustic bit. Sound logical? Razz
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
Re: The Philadelphia Project
skeptic wrote:

I claim that it is NOT illogical to come to the conclusion that this event never happened!!
In the same way that it is not illogical to have opinions about the existence of God.

Any thoughts?

Greg

I do not understand your thesis or your reasoning.

If you flesh this out a bit...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:23 pm
The most illogical conclusion is that this event would occur in a large urban center, knowledge of it would remain in the public domain for over 60 years and yet it would be absolutely unnoticed and uncommented on. UFO's have received more notice than this and this should be much easier to prove, if it had occurred.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 02:19 am
But ultimately, it's a SEP. Somebody Else's Problem. So it's entirely logical. :-D
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:27 am
skeptic wrote:
I bring this up for as a mental exercise. There is no proof that this event occured. And also no proof that it did not. Only circumstantial evidence on both sides.

In common with Frank, I too am mystified by this statement. Moreover, I am puzzled that someone who chooses the screen name "Skeptic" would take such a thoroughly credulous position.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:47 am
skeptic wrote:

Heh. But it is illogical to have opinions about God, in the sense that you are using it.
0 Replies