Obama's Oratory style and the Presidency

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
An interesting article on oratory and the presidency of the US: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/acef9222-e35a-11dd-a5cf-0000779fd2ac.html

I thought this part of the article was great:
Quote:
“Ethos” was the name Aristotle gave to that part of rhetoric that establishes the speaker’s bona fides. “Logos” " or the actual argument " was only one among three of the persuasive appeals; “pathos” " manipulating the audience’s emotions " was just as important. Think of it this way. Ethos: “Buy my old car because I’m Jeremy Clarkson.” Logos: “Buy my old car because yours is broken and mine is the only one on sale.” Pathos: “Buy my old car or I’ll twist the head off this kitten.”

The formal terms used to describe rhetorical figures haven’t changed because the figures haven’t changed. They still work the same way on the human ear and the human heart as they did in Aristotle’s day.

Over the next few years I will be very interested to see how Obama uses his oratory skills in his presidency. I expect that it'll be a stark contrast from what we've seen from Bush.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,031 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 02:30 pm
@rosborne979,
"Oratory skills."

"Bush."

It doesn't compute!
0 Replies