Same nightmare for wife's comp: Restarting Internet Explorer

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:08 pm
My wife's computer could not connect to the internet the other day. After much work I got it back on line, but, it stayed on the server's (ev1.net) pages exclusively. I tried the simpler things, such as make sure phone line and connection good; got an online technician to put me through various excercises, such as switch tcp/ip to dns preferred, etc. He said to try restarting Internet Explorer. He would send me an ev1 disk the next morning. I still don't have the disk, but, I question the need for that disk to do the restart, Can somebody tell me how it's done?
Thanks - eb
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 12
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:31 pm
Odd one, edgar. I dunno if this is quite what he has in mind, but you can go to MS's Internet Explorer website and download the sucker, installing it over your current version ... big download, though (prolly somewjhere between 10 and 15MB, or more) ... not too nice if you're on dialup. If you have an actual Windows Disc for your OS, an appropriate, if perhaps dated, version of IE should be there, too. If you do have an original Windows disc, go ahead and delete IE via "Add-Remove Programs", then reinstall from the disc.

Depending on your OS and IE Explorer version, you could check to see if there is a "Repair" option for IE in "Add and Remove Programs".

Curious ... you say it "Hangs" on the provider's page? Can you navigate from there to another website by typing a URL into the address bar?

Dunno how much more help I can be ... Today, all day, my own phone service and internet connection have been suffering from wonkiness that the Support recording assures me is "Regional", and being worked on "With every available resource" :mad:

Man, if you think dialup is bad, you oughtta try doing it via cellphone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:23 pm
The only thing my wife got outside of ev1.net pages, she could go on yahoo messenger
thanks timberlandko - I will investigate these things
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 05:12 am
Maybe it's a modem problem?
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 06:34 am
doens't sound like a hardware problem. see if you can access ftp sites (ie. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com). if so it's a server problem with not allowing you to access external port 80's.
also try using an ip address instead of the domain name (ie. http://64.236.24.28). if you can access that then it's a dns problem either in your configuration or the dns server itself.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:37 am
I'm casting my vote for demonic possession. Many "technical" problems are actually the result of the work of Evil. I wouldn't be surprised if next it started spewing soup and saying nasty things about your mother.
To properly exorcise your PC, you'll need some holy water, a Java programming book and a picture of Bill Gates. Your hardware will resist, but be firm. Remember who is in control. Sprinkle a small amount of the holy water on the affected hardware while chanting "The power of Billy compels you" 77 times.
The demon should then flee into another, lesser piece of equipment, such as a Furby (having one on hand might be a good idea) and then fling itself out the window.

...Just bein' weird--ye110man's advice for diagnosing the problem is good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:30 pm
We resolved the problem by running the server's installation disk. Simple as that, but we had to wait days for the disk to come in the mail. Thanks those of you who offered advice.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:56 pm
Figured it was software. I suspect your ISP uses a proprietary version of IE ... just for grins, could you select "Help" on your browser toolbar, then "About Internet Explorer", and copy-and-paste the info to here?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:22 am
good to hear, eb
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:35 am
I haven't cut and pasted since I was a child in grade school. Somehow that skill does not translate here. But, here is the essential info:
Version: 6.0.2600.0000 xplnt_qfe.021108-2107
Cipher strengthe: 128-bit
Product ID;55277-OEM-00103
Update Q810847, Q328676, Q818527, Q330994
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
Yeah, that's a "Customized" IE. No biggie, really. You might wanna go to Windows Update and catch it up on patches and service packs though; you're missing a few.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:28 pm
I advised her to keep up with those when we bought the computer. Guess I will need to give her a little help from now on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 06:29 am
It happened last night. I deleted ev1 and ran the installation disk and I've reinstalled the modum to see if it can reset itself. So far it will not connect to the net at all. I am of a mind to contact the maufacturer for warranty discussions.
Anyone else have an Emachine?
0 Replies