Oceanic Sailing - Take a Cruise on the Taonui

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 03:25 pm
I've received an email about this website, and thought it was interesting enough to post. It is the journal and ship's log of the Taonui which left Victoria, B.C. in September for a round-the-world cruise.

Maybe some sailors and sailor-wanna-be's would be interested. I'll be following it, at least for a while. Smile

www.taonui.com

edited for a poorly spelled word... i before e, except after c.... geez.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 6
No top replies

stanlen

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 03:41 pm
Thank you for this web site. The story is fascinating and as a recreational ocean sailor I will follow this with great interest.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 03:47 pm
Really? Cool! I actually got this from a birding group. Apparently the man is a friend of somebody's and a reasonably good birder. We're all excited for that.

The one time I was in fairly deep water, English Channel, not the ocean, I saw a wandering albatross... at least some kind of albatross. Those critters don't show up just anywhere!

What kind of boat do you go in? We were in a wish-boomed yawl, steel hull, double keel.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 08:17 pm
Interesting site, Piffka

I'm seasick already!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:58 pm
Do you sail much Margo? We're putt-putt sailors now. I don't want to go too fast and I don't want to feel like the boat is going to tip.

That time going across the channel I mentioned... I have never, ever been so sick in my life and may never be able to eat another Digestive biscuit either! At one point all five of the crew members were hanging their heads over the side. It was awful! Luckily the captain was immune.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:11 am
Piffka

I don't sail at all now - don't know any boat owners.

I get horrifically seasick offshore, but I'm fine in sheltered waters, like Sydney Harbour. I reckon I've thrown up in all the oceans in the world. Confused That's not exactly true - I've never been on the Atlantic!
But I've added colour and substance to and number of other oceans and seas!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:35 am
Laughing

I'm glad you are so well-traveled and so willing to share of yourself. I was surprised at myself when I.... had my little problem. Having lived near the water all my life, it truly did not occur to me that I might be (the shame of it all) seasick.

That's why I blame the Digestives, though I should also mention I was laughing at my friends, who were already green, and was blatantly eating them just to tease. Well, they got the last laugh as I had been the last to eat!
0 Replies