Are The Bahamas Under Attack???

fishin

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:34 am
Quote:

Bahamas asks U.S. for military outpost
Thursday, September 25, 2003 Posted: 4:31 AM EDT (0831 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The Bahamas asked U.S. President Bush Wednesday to establish a military outpost on the chain of islands to give it greater protection, Bahamian Prime Minister Perry Christie said.

"We requested it to enhance and ensure the safety of America's closest neighbor," Christie told Reuters, citing terrorism as a major threat to the country.

The prime minister expressed his concerns while having breakfast with the U.S. president in New York.

Christie said the request was for a base in Great Inagua, the southern tip of the archipelago of islands southeast of Florida. The Bahamas is a former British colony with a population of about 300,000.

"When a plane takes off from Miami, it is over the Bahamian territory within 10 minutes," he said. The country also needs a military base to prevent the influx of Haitian immigrants and illegal drug-trafficking, he said.

There was no immediate comment from the White House.

The Bahamas relies heavily on the United States for tourism, which brings in 70 percent of the nation's gross domestic product. Eight-five percent of foreign visitors to the islands are from the United States.

?????? A US military outpost in the Bahamas??? Aren't immigration and drug trafficking issues for their own police to handle?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 700 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:05 pm
Seems like our forces are stretched a bit thin right now, so maybe not a good time for this request. Then again, if I was in the army and had a choice between the Bahamas or Iraq, I know what I'd choose!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:09 pm
Gotta protect the frozen magaritas.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:18 pm
I believe the answer lies in this:

"The country also needs a military base to prevent the influx of Haitian immigrants and illegal drug-trafficking, he said."

Wonder why they'd ask us? We don't have the human resources to control these in our own country.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:32 pm
The Bahamas are a former British colony so I think the Brit's should handle this one.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:13 pm
70% of the tourists are american.
Bali's tourists were mainly from OZ.
They were targeted, better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:20 pm
Maybe they can get a handout or we'll help rebuild their Country Isle
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:58 pm
I dunno. The whole thing just seems weird. I could see them asking for help in training their police or something like that but a complete military installation? When was the last time some country asked the US to do that?

It just doesn't sound like a military need to me.
0 Replies