Making tables in Word

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:52 am
I'm experimenting with this, and would like to know how to make the grid lines in a table disappear so that the text shows up merely as columns. My extremely comprehensive Word manual - otherwise quite good - doesn't seem to discuss this.

Or maybe it can't be done?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,158 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:00 am
Two solutions:

1. You can use the 'Format' options to change the 'line' to 'No colour'
2. Use the 'Table to text' option to convert the table into tabulated entries (it works the other way too!)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 12:05 pm
@Tomkitten,
You don't say which version of Word you are using and because the 2007 version has such drastic changes in the menu system (now called the Ribbon) I'll assume you are using that. This tells you how to accomplish the task in Word 2007:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-remove-lines-from-a-word-2007-table.html
Mame

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 01:06 pm
You can also format your page into columns and not have a table at all.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Stupid me - I should have said I'm using Word 2002, not 2007, so the ribbon thing isn't there to harrass me. However, I'm going to check out that link; the info might still apply. Thanks!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 03:13 pm
@Tomkitten,
I have version 2003 (hate 2007), so this may work for you:

Select the table (or the portions -- or cells -- of the table you want to affect). Click on the "Format" drop down menu at the top of the screen, and select "Borders and Shading." (Make sure the "Borders" tab is selected.)

There, you can adjust the width of any cell border lines (just the border lines, the cells remain), or eliminate them entirely. Experiment by clicking on the "Preview" portion of that tab, over on the right side.

(If you have the entire table selected, and want to eliminate all border lines in your table, just select "None" under Settings on the Borders tab.)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:53 am
@Tomkitten,
Just one more thing - Gridlines that show on your screen won't print. Under the Table drop-down menu, you can Hide or Show gridlines. This might be useful for your own reference while you're building the table; you can be sure you won't have lines in your final printout but you'll still be able to see how your data is fitting in the table cells.
Tomkitten

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:13 am
@Wy,
For whatever reason, the grid lines in the tables sent to me DID print. I think we've gotten over that difficulty. The contributor who sends me that information is enthusiastic, but not all that knowledgeable, and I have my own competence gaps, but things do seem to be coming together; she was using Tables, and I think Tabs would be better, since the stuff is such a mixture of names, figures, and text. However, I'm the Editor, and in the long run it's me that makes the decisions, so Tabs it is.
0 Replies