Swimming - Itching

gollum

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:37 pm
Several weeks ago, I started swimming in a health club pool. Begining shortly after, I started experiencing somewhat frequent itching in various parts of my body.

Could it be caused by the swimming pool? Is there any remedy/cure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,707 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:44 pm
@gollum,
Do you know what chemicals they're using to treat the water? In a lot of cases, it's simply dry skin - you need to rinse rinse rinse rinse when you get out of the pool - sans suit - moisturize moisturize moisturize. Then shower again when you get home.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:13 pm
@gollum,
Ehbeth has good advice. Check on the chemicals. High chlorine levels do a real number on some folks' skin. Also, as Beth mentioned, shower at the pool. If you go home in a damp bathing suit laced with chemicals that's another way to encourage contact dermatitis and pruritis. The itch can get bad! I was a life guard four summers, and some of us really suffered. Shower, shower, get really dry, and then maybe some shea butter lotion to remoisturize your skin. Good luck!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:21 pm
@Miklos7,
It's always been a mystery to me why some people don't understand that they have to take their swimsuit off when they're rinsing/showering. You've got to get those chemicals off.

Also, don't forget to wash the swimsuit well after each swim.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
Public pools scare the bee-jesus out of me.

We as a society have become so paranoid of any little cold, infection, or disease that there is a chemical to prevent all of them some where.
And the pool is full of them.

Im more afraid of what those chemicals will do to my body then I am of people and their sicknesses.

You cant wash well enough after a trip to the pool.
If it is in small patches, this itching? , try putting a dab of olive oil on the spot. If it is super dry skin, that should help get rid of it right away.
hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
@gollum,
i find that itching after swimming is more of a problem in the winter than in the summer .
reason seems to be : dry air - dry skin !
so i usually put a bit of "white" vaseline (not petroleum jelly) on my skin after the pre-swim shower and repeat the procedure after showering - it does help somewhat .
some pools now have non-chlorine filtration (oxygen purification) that reduce itching .
hbg
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 04:51 am
Swimming is a big way of imflaming eczma: older people can get eczma in the inner ear. Water in this space can be very troublesome: wearing earplugs must help.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:04 am
@shewolfnm,
Good morning, shewolfnm
I agree with you completely about unnecessary chemicals; however, in even a private pool, you need a bit of something akin to chlorine. When I was a sophomore in college, the gym had the largest above-ground pool in the world--and a swim team with a 40-year winning streak. Because of the heavy use for swim practices, the chemical levels in that water were tested several times a day. We are talking major swim-freaks! Despite these precautions, I caught an infection in that pool that made me deaf in one ear for an entire month. Ever since, even though I was a life guard, I have been wary of pool water. It's not just little kids peeing in the pool; actually, that's fairly clean liquid. Kids take an undeserved rap! It's the germs other folks bring in by not being required to shower thoroughly before entering the pool.
Your suggestion of olive oil is good. You might find that sesame oil goes into the skin more easily--and is a bit less expensive. I promise that it won't smell at all five minutes after application. This tip was passed to me by a really good licensed masseuse, who keeps both my wife and me as active as we can stand. Winter really dries one's skin out.
0 Replies