Democrats Seek Delay in TV Shift: Bush adm. screwed up again

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:16 am
January 9, 2009
Democrats Seek Delay in TV Shift
By BRIAN STELTER
New York Times

The nation’s broadcasters may not complete their long-awaited switch to all-digital TV next month, after all.

On Thursday President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team urged Congress to extend the Feb. 17 cutoff date for analog broadcasting, injecting new uncertainty into a switch that has confused customers and cost the government more than $1.3 billion in subsidies.

Several television networks and high-ranking Democrats supported Mr. Obama’s proposal, although it remains unclear whether a change will be made.

Ending analog signals will affect millions of television viewers who own old televisions. Those sets will not be able to receive over-the-air television signals once the mandated upgrade to digital transmission takes place, unless their owners buy converter boxes, which the government is subsidizing.

In the most significant sign to date of concern about the impending transition, John D. Podesta, the chairman of the Obama transition team, said the Congressional financing to support the change was “woefully inadequate.”

Echoing concerns from consumers groups, Mr. Podesta said in a letter to Congressional leaders that the Obama staff had found major difficulties in the transition, which was authorized by Congress in 2005.

He said a federal coupon program for discounts on the cost of converter boxes has, at least temporarily, run out of funds, forcing more than one million coupon requests to be put on a waiting list. To date, 18.8 million coupons have been redeemed; some have expired without being used, and as more expire, new ones will be made available.

Mr. Podesta said that the number of requests " possibly hundreds of thousands each day " could overwhelm the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, which is running the program. The coupons are worth $40, and the most basic converters cost about $50.

Mr. Podesta also described as insufficient the government’s plans to handle the expected rush of inquiries as Feb. 17 draws near and indicated that Mr. Obama’s proposed stimulus package would include funds to address the problems.

Several high-ranking Congressional members said the recommendation should be considered swiftly. Senator John D. Rockefeller IV, Democrat of West Virginia and chairman of the committee on commerce, science and transportation, said he would support delaying the analog cutoff “until we can do it right.”

But some prominent Republicans rejected the recommendation. In a statement, Representative Joe L. Barton of Texas said that “ditching the deadline” would amount to panic. “We don’t need to bail out the DTV transition program because it isn’t failing, and reintroducing uncertainty to the switch will make things worse instead of better," Mr. Barton, a ranking member of the House committee on energy and commerce, said.

Neither Mr. Podesta nor any of the lawmakers indicated the length of a potential delay.

The end of analog broadcasting will free up spectrum for use by wireless companies and public safety agencies. A big advertising campaign by the government and the broadcasting industry, complete with messages on the side of a Nascar race car, has asked consumers, “Are you ready?”

Still, Nielsen Media Research estimates that 7.8 million households, representing 6.8 percent of homes with television, were not ready as of December because they had not upgraded any of their television sets. Unless members of those households purchase new TV’s or converter boxes, they will lose service when the analog signals are shut off. Homes with cable or satellite service will not be affected, only those with old antennas.

The owners of major networks, including NBC Universal and the News Corporation, have indicated that they support a delay. After all, they could see a drop in audience if many TV sets suddenly go dark.

Local television stations in many markets have held digital TV tests, temporarily turning off their analog signal and informing viewers of the impending change. During one recent test in Knoxville, Tenn., Debra Krause Dandaneau, found that the television and antenna she had purchased did not work without a converter box. She requested a coupon for a converter box in October, but it had expired by the time it arrived in the mail.

She has waited four weeks for a new one.

“Now, I wonder ‘Will that coupon be delivered?’ ” she said, adding that she has a Ph.D. in physics and that “this has been difficult and frustrating.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 10
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:21 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Ending analog signals will affect millions of television viewers who own old televisions. Those sets will not be able to receive over-the-air television signals once the mandated upgrade to digital transmission takes place, unless their owners buy converter boxes, which the government is subsidizing.

Maybe they should eliminate the subsidies and let this stimulate consumer spending (buying new TV's and associated equipment, while saving power due to the removal of old TV equipment).

I believe that terminating the analog support systems will also save billions of dollars (one of the main reasons for shutting it down in the first place).

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:28 am
@rosborne979,
I'm pissed with all the people who waited until the deadline was near to apply for the coupons when they've been informed for 1-1/2 years. Now they're complaining they are running out of time. They remind me of Christmas Eve gift shoppers, always putting it off until the last moment.

bbb
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
The information has been coming out of my ears forever, it seems. I believe if they are bound to do it, get on with it. I got the converter boxes a while back and immediately began to get better reception and more channels. It helped to replace the antennas also, which cost about $14 per indoor antenna at Walmart.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:55 am
buying new TV's or getting converter boxes "for free" , surely should help the ailing chinese electronic industries - and they need all the help they can get .
hbg
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:58 am
@hamburger,
Good point!

BBB
hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:10 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
remember that the U.S. will probably need to borrow more money from china .

let me see :
U.S. buys TV's from china
U.S. issues more treaury bills to pay for TV's
china lends more money to U.S.

?X%&% ???

never mind - it's 20 C BELOW zero right now - my brain is slightly frozen <GRIN>
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
If nobody had bought into the globalization bullshit, we might be making more than just Big Macs in America these days.
hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:01 am
@edgarblythe,
isn't the real consumer problem more the walmarts than bigmc ?
i remember when we used to go to myrtle beach in the 90's - canada didn't have a single walmart at that time - ; almost every aisle in the walmart store hade an american flag and a sign proclaiming : "we sell american made merchandise ! " .
haven't seen any chinese flags yet ... ...

i doubt that those manufacturing jobs can (or should ) be brought back .
american (and canadian ) businesses - in co-operation with labour and government - will have to figure out where they can be competitive in the world market and put all their strength into that .
i think that north-america has the resources - manpower and mineral resources - to play a role in the world economy .
however , i do think a MAJOR mindshift will have to take place at all levels -
from labour to businesses to governments .
i do think it can be done if there is the will .

(both germany and japan where piles of rubble after WW II yet they were able to recover within less than 10 years . neither the U.S. nor canada are piles of rubble but have great inherent strenght and wealth - it'll be a matter of harnessing it)
hbg
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:05 am
@hamburger,
If everybody could be a manager or a farmer, we might be okay.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:34 am
It's not just the funding of it that has been bungled. The implementation and technology isn't on par with what we rabbit ears users had with analog TV.

I posted this elsewhere, and will repost it here. Even with the converters, we're going to have some serious problems in the area of public service and the emergency broadcast system.

I sent this to each of the local TV stations here in the Sacramento area a few weeks ago. Haven't heard any responses.

Quote:
I have two questions that I have not seen addressed anywhere:

First one: KCRA is the strongest signal I get using rabbit ears and a converter box. Most of the other local stations are marginally watchable with intermittent blue screens. With analog TV I have access to 17 stations, all fully watchable.

When the switch to DTV is in full effect and stations don't need to broadcast both digital and analog signals, will they be boosting the strength of their digital signals or is this the best that it gets?

Second question: Even with the stronger reception for KCRA, when there are high winds or bad weather, the signal degrades horribly and results in all TV stations being unwatchable. (I am currently able to remove the converter box for viewing during storms but that won't fix it after the conversion.) This concerns me in emergency situations such as earthquakes, flooding and other storm dangers where TV stations have been our source for the Emergency Broadcast System notifications.

What are the broadcasters and emergency preparedness planners in the area doing to ensure public access to the Emergency Broadcast System notifications for those of us unable to afford cable and satellite TV subscriptions and live in apartments where aerial antennas are not allowed?

As it is now, when this new DTV goes into effect, I will no longer have access to a news source for local news. Local radio stations abandoned us years ago and only pretend to offer local news. With analog TV broadcasts, in bad weather at least I am still able to hear the audio even if the video was snowy.

Thanks for addressing these.
0 Replies