"T.V. learner" = note to teacher or not?

chai2

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:18 pm
@Linkat,
I was thinking along similar lines.

but more about the name....being able to say "yeah, I didn't like the name I had, so I changed it" could be a cause for jealously.

wow, he changed his name because he could.

hey boomer, I was wondering....you mentioned before mo wanted to have his name legally changed.

would you do that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
@boomerang,
Glad you've had some communication with the teacher!

boomerang wrote:
She was already aware of it and had told the kid who started it to stop. That was probably when it escalated -- the kids knew they were onto something.

Can you find this out for sure? I worry a bit about basing a plan of action on it if you're not certain. In my experience, at this age there is a pretty constant stream of direction coming at kids from authority figures and it doesn't really mean that much (in terms of "onto something") if they're reprimanded. They may well respond (as in, stop doing it because the teacher tells them to stop -- second-graders seem to still respond pretty well to this stuff) but I think that an escalation was probably more likely to be based on Mo's reaction, not the teacher's.

As in:

If it was the teacher's reaction that escalated things, then the thing to do would be to get her out of it while you coach Mo on how to handle it himself.

If it was Mo's reaction that escalated things, then getting the teacher out of the picture and putting Mo (and his reactions) at the center of handling things may just make it worse.
dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:05 pm
@sozobe,
I find that sometimes role-playing ignoring nasty comments with the kid can be helpful.

You know....you pretend to be the kids saying the stuff......Mo acts how he would do it.

Deconstructing the TV learner thing to help him de-sensitize might be helpful, too.

I often find that kids have some awful idea about what some meaningless piece of crap actually means...I'd be trying to understand why it gets to him so much...I know he doesn't know what it means, but what does he FEAR it might mean.

Sometimes stuff like an imaginary force shield or some such (you know...one that lets normal stuff in, but can deflect nasty comments, or somesuch) can help kids ignore stuff.

0 Replies