What do I need for The First Skiing Trip?

DrMom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:11 pm
We are taking week long trip to Colorado for skiing. Our First. What clothing items should I purchase before going there and what would be available for rental ? I do not want to spend a fortune since we do not know if we will continue with this sport. I would appreciate all input. Family consists of 9Yo boy, 5yo girl me and hubby.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 9,172 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:20 pm
@DrMom,
For a first timer, you should get by with jeans, layer a couple of sweaters under a warm winter jacket with a well fitting hood or with a hat you can pull down over your ears, well fitting warm but flexible gloves--you have to be able to close your hands around your ski poles--and heavy warm socks inside the ski boots. Skiing is actually pretty good exercise and you usually don't get terribly cold on the slopes. (If you're going someplace fancy like Aspen, you might feel a tad underdressed in makeshift ski clothes, but who the heck cares?) There might be some places who rent 'offiical' ski clothes but I'm not sure about that.

For ski equipment, check with the local shop re rentals before you invest in your own stuff. They'll show you what you need, what is available, and what is best for a beginner. You can almost always rent the skis, poles, and boots which pretty much is it.

Otherwise make sure your medical insurance is up to date and have a blast. Smile
DrMom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
Thanks soo much, you saved me a lot of trouble, we are going to Colorado Springs.
Are you saying I do not need thermal underwear?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:34 pm
@DrMom,
I really don't think so though you would need less outer warm stuff with thermal underwear. My kids got by just fine with jeans--I think they were stretch jeans but don't know that's necessary. You don't want to be so bulky that you can't move or so that you're too warm. Unless it is unusually windy, you really don't get all that cold as long as your feet, hands, and head are warm.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:34 pm
I would get thermal underwear! I also would get some water resistant outfit for the kids, otherwise the jeans would be soaking wet in no time, especially since you haven't skied before. Mittens, hat and ski glasses are needed too. Ski equipment you can rent there, that's not a problem, but warm clothing is a must.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:36 pm
Well Colorado snow is usually dry powder and we didn't get wet playing in it, but that couldn't hurt for sure.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 11:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre, I believe Dr. Mom and family live in Florida - Colorado will be very, very cold for them. Very Happy
rg123

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:09 pm
@DrMom,
I also think a waterproof outer layer is important.

Your clothes don't have to be expensive brand names. For a trip to Colorado last year, I used a relatively cheap parka I got from Walmart and an old ski bib I bought used from a rental shop years ago as my outer layer (ski bibs are basically insulated, waterproof overalls). Make sure your gloves are warm and waterproof as well - with no fabric to soak up water around the wrists. A balaclava is very nice to have, too, especially if it gets windy, particularly up on the ski lift - and a balaclava doesn't have to be overly expensive either. Under the outer layer, I tend to just wear sweatpants, a knit shirt, and a fleece jacket or sweatshirt or two - the trick is to have layers you can add or remove as necessary. I'm not crazy about long johns, and haven't had a problem wearing cheap, plain old (even cotton) stuff instead of the high tech wicking stuff many people recommend. (If you were going backpacking or mountain climbing in cold weather, you'd probably want the high tech stuff, but you're not going to be that far away from the warmth of the ski lodge, especially if this is your first trip and you have young kids. You will need goggles, too (don't need to buy expensive ones in my experience), and don't forget to use sunscreen and Chapstik.

The resorts out there should rent or sell everything you need, but might be higher priced than you could find elsewhere. Maybe look for sales at Dick's Sporting Goods for balaclavas and gloves and goggles - though I have used cheap Walmart gloves too. You might find a Walmart out there to see what they have - Walmarts near the ski places in Colorado will tend to have ski stuff that Walmarts elsewhere won't carry - but you don't want to waste any more time out there shopping than you have to.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:14 pm
@DrMom,
If it's possible, try and borrow some ski pants etc... they can be really expensive - if you know of anyone who's been skiing, see if you could borrow the main ski clothing.

Really important - GOOD shatterproof sunglasses. A MUST! Thermal gloves for under proper ski gloves, kids fingers (and adults) get real cold if it's wet and slushy and they fall down without waterproof (breathable) gloves.

Have a blast - skiing is such a fab sport - but can be tres expensive. Kids will LOVE it, I'm sure.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:23 pm
@Izzie,
i second the waterproof or at least the wind-breaker material outer layer. i've skied all my life and jeans i find uncomfortable. depends on how cold it is - but you will sweat quite a bit while skiing and get either cold or wet or both - especially after few trips in and out of a food stand/coffeeshop.

Layers, breathable material, windbreaker, something that covers ears very well, neck warmer you can pull over your nose if need be - those are key to avoid much misery. also remember to have a pair of extra regular thin gloves that you can put under ski gloves if you're cold (and wet - hands sweat too) and/or for after skiing.
I also like jackets that cover my butt - when you're skiing for hours your behind can get mighty cold, especially on the lift.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:39 pm
@dagmaraka,
http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v648/153/5/697154364/n697154364_1850634_6964.jpg

like so.... many layers.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
Here is what I wear when I snowski in Colorado:
- long underwear, jogging pants, ski bibs
- tshirt, sweatshirt, ski coat
- WARM gloves or mittens
- Neck gator (or skarf, face warmer, etc.)
- warm hat
- ski goggles

I live in the midwest, and thought I handled cold pretty well. Apparently I was wrong, reading this thread. Holy crap, people ski in jeans? That would be ridiculously cold for me. Perhaps its the time of year, or location that makes the difference. I guess I usually stay near the top of the mountain, which may be considerably colder then the bottom. We also ski from lift opening to close, and usually only stop for lunch (and sometimes just eat on the chairlift).

I'd rather wear too much and have to open my jacket, then not enough and be freezing. I also would like to stress the importance of keeping your face, fingers, and toes warm. Wind burn sucks, so I like big goggles to keep my face covered. You can get a cheap pair for $20 or so, I would think.

If you feel your fingers or toes starting to get cold, wiggle them on the chairlift. If its a big problem, you can by the disposable heat packets that last for like 8 hrs. all over the place out there.

Enjoy the trip! Skiing is fantastic!
DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 05:04 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:
Holy crap, people ski in jeans? That would be ridiculously cold for me.

Kinda depends on how much you fall down, and how much time you spend with your butt in direct contact with the snow. Wink

Beginners should definitely have a waterproof outer layer.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 05:05 pm
My suggestion: Dress in layers, and be prepared to spend a buck or two on a locker if you get too warm.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:13 pm
@DrewDad,
... or the weather conditions. I can't remember the last time I went on a trip and it didn't snow at least one of the days we were there. If its snowing while your on the chair lift, or you wind up in knee-deep powder, there isn't much you can do.

I wouldn't think it would be just the wet, though. If the temps are in the single digits, I would want more then a layer of denim around my legs.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:25 pm
Lots of sunblock lotion, chapstick and sunglasses are a must. I'd also issue whistles to everybody that can be used if anyone gets separated from the group and gets lost, as well as in emegency sitations such as avalanche.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm
Thanks Everyone , we had a good trip. Fox fyre's advice was practical and sound. We only got wet while Tubing ( not fun I mean getting wet )
I also am thankful to people who advised to be cautious because I have kids. Nick Ash it's ok if FoxFyre does ski in Jeans and you don't it's nothing personal.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks CJ, Weather was nice but it did get so cold that one day we just stayed in. There was a pic Library that came in handy for kids and I indulged in " Dreams from my Father"
0 Replies