BERLED EGGSES

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
OK, geniuses . . . uncooked eggs float, but once you've hard-boiled them, they don't. Why?

(If you don't know the answer, please don't pretend you do. If you just want to make stupid remarks, or silly observations, i encourage you to practice self-amuse.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,528 • Replies: 28
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
@Setanta,
I never noticed an egg floating. Now, I have to go test your thesis for myself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:17 pm
Well, it's not as though the uncooked eggses are bobbing wildly on the surface, but if you "cover" uncooked eggses with an inch of water, in preparing to boil them, the small end will bob to the surface, and if you add more water, the eggses will cease to rest on the bottom of the pan. Try it, you'll see.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@Setanta,
As far as I know, they do not float. They do spin differently than a raw egg. A raw egg will wobble while a cooked egg spins without a wobble.

Raw eggs do float if they are old enough to have acquired an air pocket due to evaporation of the fluids inside. That's how cooks determine the condition of their eggs if they are past the Best Used by date. The higher up in the water the egg floats, the more likely the egg is past it's prime freshness date and shouldn't be used.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:35 pm
my answer is some what the same as butterfly's...

going on what she said-
as the liquid center solidifies, the air pocket can not move around as freely causing the egg to feel heavier and to stay in one place easier.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:38 pm
If you go on-line to look up berled eggses (as i did, although i didn't find an answer to the question), they tell you that you are better advised not to use fresh eggses for hard-boiling, because they will be harder to peel. I also have been told (and can't say for certain) that "egg farm" eggses have thinner shells due to the feed they give the hens, and that they won't keep as long. When i was a liddly, and we had our own laying hens, my grandmother would not wash the eggses until she was ready to use them, saying they kept longer. We kept eggses without refrigeration, except in the very hottest weather, and i never knew a one of them to go bad.
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you go on-line to look up berled eggses (as i did, although i didn't find an answer to the question), they tell you that you are better advised not to use fresh eggses for hard-boiling, because they will be harder to peel.

Ah! I was just going to respond in the same way.

I do know that's true for a fact. When I'm going to make a big batch of egg salad, I always buy them the week before.

I'd heard that about not needing to refrigerate eggs. Never tried it myself, but I'm sure it's true.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
@chai2,
This is true, and for the same reasons that causes them to float as they age. The air pocket gets larger and once they are hard boiled, is easier to separate from the shell.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:53 pm
@chai2,
You wouldn't want to try not refrigerating eggses with store bought eggses--the shells are thinner, and they've been washed. According to my grandmother, who certainly had lots of experience, they keep without refrigeration because the shells are thicker than with commercial eggses, and they haven't been washed.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:53 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
When i was a liddly, and we had our own laying hens, my grandmother would not wash the eggses until she was ready to use them, saying they kept longer. We kept eggses without refrigeration, except in the very hottest weather, and i never knew a one of them to go bad.

I think this has more to do with the delivery time from hen to super market shelf and then to your refrigerator shelf. Eggs fresh from the hen have at least a one week longer shelf life and probably more like a two week longer shelf life.

Another thing that has changed since the bygone days is the storage of the eggs in the refrigerator. Most people used to store their eggs in the manufactured egg containers on the inside of the refrigerator door. Now we're advised to not store the eggs on the door because of the constant fluctuation of temperature changes each time the door is opened. We're also advised not to remove them from the carton and store them in those egg holders, saying that the cardboard egg carton provides better insulation and keeps them fresher and less dehydrated for a longer period of time.
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:54 pm
We are proving to be a veritable cornucopia of egg knowledge!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:58 pm
If someone tole you that raw eggs float, you have been snookered. Raw eggs should sink. The only reason they would float is if they are going bad. They generate enough H2S to form a gas bubble and float. You can still eat an egg that just sort of bobs with its head up in the water , that egg is just going bad.
Trust me, its true. If youve been eating raw "floaters" its a wonder you dont get diarrhea.

In the olden days they would store eggs in a solution of "water glass" . This kept them fresh but rather tasteless because the Na Silicate would exchange with stuff in the egg.

Fresh from the hen eggs are best. The yolk stands up an sez howdy. I hate the carton eggs, the yolks are so flaccid looking. Pteeeuuwww!!!
hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:59 pm
@Setanta,
set wrote :

Quote:
that "egg farm" eggses have thinner shells due to the feed they give the hens

i can vouch for that !
we sometimes get eggs from truly free-running hens - much stronger shell and superior flavour ... though some people have told us that they do not like eggs that have much flavour or even a dark-yellow yolk - they like their eggs to be BLAND !
hbg
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:05 pm
@farmerman,
This was a case of just bobbing with the end at the surface of the water--and i've seen that again and again with store-bought eggses. I'm using it for some ham salad tonight . . . wanna come over for some sammiches, Boss?
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:07 pm
@hamburger,
You'll get the opposite reaction, too. I knew a woman who kept French hens, because they laid eggses in various shades of green, from a very pale bluish-green to dark green, almost olive color. She got top dollar from the local hippy health food stores, where they apparently sold like hot cakes.

It's been long enough ago that i don't recall any difference in the taste of the eggses.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
you makin that pea meal stuff? Ive gotta get me some of that. It just has a neat ring to it.

Momma is making some penne carbonara
hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:12 pm
@Setanta,
set wrote :

Quote:
She got top dollar from the local hippy health food stores, where they apparently sold like hot cakes.

trust me : those "bland eggers" were not hippies - just "true blue" third generation canadians .
hbg

btw "coloured" eggs are apparently quite the thing for fancy restaurants - even in tranna.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:13 pm
My friend Kim has several chickens on her property.
More eggs then she can eat.

Those are the best eggs I have ever had.

Some of the eggs are brown, others are light green spotted. Dark yellow yolk and a heavy flavor.
Excellent for salads, and soups .
but some of the best hard boil-t eggies i ever did eat

Store bought eggs are a joke..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:13 pm
@farmerman,
Oooo . . . pasta . . . maybe we could trade. (In Ontario, they pronounce that paaaasta.)

I couldn't find the pea-meal in the fridge, so i'm waiting for The Girl to get home, and perhaps confess to having eaten it all up last night. We cooked a pea-meal roast on the weekend, and, Damn, it war gooooood . . .

Back loin, pickled in sweetened brine, and then rolled in corn meal (apparently, in the olden times, they didn't have corn meal, so they used meal made from yellow peas--now, they still call it pea meal, but they use the corn meal). It's much the same as other varieties of Canadian back bacon, although it varies from region to region. The stuff the sell in the U.S. and call Canadian bacon is obviously not even on speaking terms with back bacon, let alone related.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:19 pm
@farmerman,
Read it and weep: The Girl came home and produced the back bacon.