How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

neologist

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I don't know what your Jehovah's Witness bible re-write says mate, but here's what normal versions say in Exo ch 32-
"the people gathered around Aaron and said to him, “Get up, make us gods that will go before us"....he made a molten calf. Then they said, “These are your gods..”
The Lord spoke to Moses: “your people have acted corruptly..my anger can burn against them and I can destroy them"

So Moses smashes up the calf to appease God's rage, it's plain enough to me..Smile
Actually, you are not totally wrong, just pathetically misinformed. See smiley's post here: http://able2know.org/topic/127411-12#post-5575880 Also calamity's post immediately above his.

You may be interested in this transliteration of Exodus 32 found here: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0232.htm

Additionally, you will find footnotes in many of the annotated translations explaining the same point re elohim.

Time for another a2k sashay, romeo?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Are you being serious Romeo? The moral of the story, is that although idols themselves cannot hurt you, God hates idolatry and was prepared to destroy an entire nation for including idols in their worship.
The fact that you continue to bounce along stating that pagan practices are fine so long as you rename the idols Jesus and God, suggests that Dal was right on the money, and you do not know nor have regard for God.

I'm done here. Pearls before swine come to mind.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:05 pm
Quote:
Smiley pouted:@RF- I'm done here. You have no respect for God and you are unlikely to change.

Wait mate, you forgot to answer my question!
You claimed the Israelites worshipped that golden calf in honour of God and not other gods, and I asked you if that was the case, why were God and Moses furious?
neologist

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Smiley wrote:
Only one calf was built and the celebration was declared specifically to YHWH, not to multiple gods
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

If that's the case, why was God and Moses furious at the Israelites for worshipping it?..Smile
"The Lord spoke to Moses: “your people have acted corruptly..my anger can burn against them and I can destroy them" (Exo ch 32)

-----------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini, he shoots his foot!
That's exactly the point being made, Einstein. You can't repaint the idol
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:33 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Smiley wrote:
I'm done here. You have no respect for God and you are unlikely to change.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Wait mate, you forgot to answer my question!
You claimed the Israelites worshipped that golden calf in honour of God and not other gods, and I asked you if that was the case, why were God and Moses furious?
Answered multiple times, including above. You have no clue, have you?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:41 pm
Quote:
Neologist said:@RF-Answered multiple times, including above. You have no clue, have you?

Seeing as Smiley has stamped her foot and run out of the room in a huff, that leaves the way clear for you to step up to the plate and answer it without any waffle, if you can..Wink
neologist

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:42 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
http://able2know.org/topic/127411-13#post-5576195

[edit]
added for review: http://able2know.org/topic/127411-11#post-5575536
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:55 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I have tried my friend to draw on your reasoning abilities, but they have proven to be lacking. You need to understand that Idolatry in any form is disgusting to God, but to try and get you to come to this conclusion for yourself has been fruitless.

Do not be misled, I am still around, I am merely done giving you the benefit of the doubt.
neologist

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 02:22 pm
@Smileyrius,
Methinks it is time for Romeo to do the a2k sashay.

And do si do . . .
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:52 am
Quote:
Smiley said: I have tried my friend to draw on your reasoning abilities, but they have proven to be lacking. You need to understand that Idolatry in any form is disgusting to God

YES, YES, you're getting there..Smile
The Israelites made a golden calf and dedicated it to a bunch of assorted gods, so no wonder God went ballistic and was all set to wipe them out til Moses smashed it up to defuse the situation..Smile

"Mooooo"...
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gold-calf_zpsa904d500.jpg~original
gungasnake

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 03:10 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

Catholicism? Probably most of it. Normal Christianity, probably 10% or less.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 03:29 am
@gungasnake,
So Jesus' teachings and 2000 years of Christianity (aka Catholicism) are based on Paganism.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 04:23 am
@gungasnake,
What on earth is normal Christianity?
Where do you get such idea that Catholicism mostly is based on paganism.
The Lutheran Church is in some countries very close to the Catholic church- is it then normal or not?
Smileyrius

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 04:32 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:12 am
@Smileyrius,
Funny that you take issue with Romeo's supposed idolatry, but say nothing about his racism or contempt for the poor.
Smileyrius

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:30 am
@izzythepush,
That would be another conversation for another time my friend, I find if I try to draw Romeo out on more then one subject at a time, he has a tendency to lose track of what has been said.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:32 am
@Smileyrius,
I think it says a lot about your priorities.
Smileyrius

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 06:18 am
@izzythepush,
The thread has a theme Izzy, if you would like my thoughts on any other matter, then raise it and I will address it. I do not agree with much of Romeo's personal musings, but it does no good to lambast them all at once.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 09:30 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Catholicism? Probably most of it. Normal Christianity, probably 10% or less.

Catholicism remains "normal christianity" since it is the largest denomination. The various sects of protestantism are the odd ones.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 09:39 am
Quote:
Olivier said- Catholicism remains "normal christianity" since it is the largest denomination. The various sects of protestantism are the odd ones.

Size of denomination doesn't matter in God's eyes-
Jesus said-“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Matt 7:13/14)