How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

neologist

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:36 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
. . . The golden calf was made in honour of assorted gods which is why God told Moses to smash it up because it violated the First Commandment-
Wrong. Read it again.
It violated more than the first.
And the Jews called it Jehovah
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:51 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: The golden calf was made in honour of assorted gods which is why God told Moses to smash it up because it violated the First Commandment-
Neologist claimed: Wrong. Read it again

I don't know what your Jehovah's Witness bible re-write says mate, but here's what normal versions say in Exo ch 32-
"the people gathered around Aaron and said to him, “Get up, make us gods that will go before us"....he made a molten calf. Then they said, “These are your gods..”
The Lord spoke to Moses: “your people have acted corruptly..my anger can burn against them and I can destroy them"

So Moses smashes up the calf to appease God's rage, it's plain enough to me..Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:00 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
So heres an Orthodox "Gamer for Jesus" telling a Jehovah's Witness that his version of the Bible isn't "up to Biblical Standards".

As Christian Sects get more and more Balkanized we will soon have everybody following a unique translation of Scripture and nobody's gonna get to heaven
Mwah hah hah hah haaaaa. Our plan is working perfectly

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:12 am
Quote:
Farmerman said:@RF- So heres an Orthodox "Gamer for Jesus" telling a Jehovah's Witness that his version of the Bible isn't "up to Biblical Standards"

Like I've said before, you can't beat the good old King James Version (KJV) translated in 1611, but I also glance at modern-language versions like the New International Version (NIV) for useful cross-reference.
However, some "translations" are complete re-writes such as the JW's 'New World Translation' with words changed to suit their own cockamamie beliefs, so steer well clear of them...Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:59 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
They've been aware London existed for a long time, no proof Mary Poppins existed.

The fact that Jesus followed a pre-existing Pagan narrative would suggest he's every bit as fictional as those Pagan gods you like to ridicule so much.

None of this is remotely important, what matters is the message. Love thy Neighbour as thyself, and that's the one part you deliberately ignore.

You use racist language, post dehumanising images of Blacks, insult anyone who does not conform to your narrow definition of Christian. You ignored your own father for the last few years of his life. You pose in SS combat gear with a large knife. You drool at the prospect of a nuclear war in the Middle East, and spend all your free time playing toy soldiers, fantasising about killing more and more.

You're the polar opposite of everything Jesus stood for.

Btw, Christian churches are being turned into Gurdwaras in Southampton.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/96/69/1966902_c7f9b5f2.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:00 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The golden calf was made in honour of assorted gods-
"..after Aaron had made a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel" (Exodus 32:4)
which is why God told Moses to smash it up because it violated the First Commandment-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ten-cs_zps69eb00e9.jpg~original

What about the 5th Commandment?
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Here we go again. Your inclination to seek out confirmation bias over rational and unbiased study underpins your lack of credibility. I will share again for the class.
Quote:
Quote:
A 2003 study by Jason BeDuhn, associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University in the United States, of nine of "the Bibles most widely in use in the English-speaking world," including the New American Bible, The King James Bible and The New International Version, examined several New Testament passages in which "bias is most likely to interfere with translation." For each passage, he compared the Greek text with the renderings of each English translation, and looked for biased attempts to change the meaning. BeDuhn reported that the New World Translation was "not bias free", but emerged "as the most accurate of the translations compared", and thus a "remarkably good translation", adding that "most of the differences are due to the greater accuracy of the NW as a literal, conservative translation". BeDuhn said the introduction of the name "Jehovah" into the New Testament 237 times was "not accurate translation by the most basic principle of accuracy", and that it "violate[s] accuracy in favor of denominationally preferred expressions for God", adding that for the NWT to gain wider acceptance and prove its worth its translators might have to abandon the use of "Jehovah" in the New Testament

So in a non bias comparison of the 9 most widely used bibles, including the king James version, the NWT was found to be the most accurate of the translations compared". While I do not believe there are any translations without flaw, on what authority (one without anti-JW bias please) do you claim the NWT is a "complete rewrite?"

Where do you get your information from Mick? Your inclination to the NIV belies your evangelical indoctrination, I own one but it reads like a childrens book, I would not feel comfortable quoting from it.
I personally own a copy of the 1611 King James bible too, it was my first bible, but it is far from a perfect translation and not without it's own bias, in acts for instance it has the Jews celebrating the pagan festival of Easter.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:36 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
My friend, perhaps you should be more concerned original language when debating translation. The Hebrew word used in the scriptural account is Elohim. Elohim (אֱלֹהִים) is a grammatically singular or plural noun for "god" or "gods" in both modern and ancient Hebrew language.
Keeping in mind that the word literally can be translated as singular or plural, it is only sensible to select the term that fits the context.
Only one calf was built and the celebration was declared specifically to YHWH, not to multiple gods. So while your translation may state plural gods, that interpretation does not fit the rest of the text.
It is also important to take note that Moses used the term Elohim to describe God on numerous occasions, are we to believe that he worshipped multiple gods also?
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:52 am
Smileyrius wrote:
perhaps you should be more concerned original language when debating translation.
WTF?

Smileyrius wrote:
I will then explain it, then you can rebuttle
Shouldn't you be concerned about your language?
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 06:00 am
@timur,
I am always happy to correct my errors my friend, unfortunately editing is at the present time beyond me. I offer you my apologies if you were offended by my mistakes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 06:00 am
You gentlemen are wasting your time talking to Romeo--and you're feeding a troll.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:43 am
Quote:
Izzy said: Btw, Christian churches are being turned into Gurdwaras in Southampton

Yes and St Marks in Leicester (below) has been bought by Asian businessmen who named it 'The Empire' and turned it into a bollywood cinema and multifaith meeting hall..Smile
Why am I smiling? Because when the Islamification of Britain begins to bite, Sharia law will soon clean up our cities of drunks, beggars, junkies, perverts and atheists..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/St-Marks-leicester_zps72e2bafc.jpg~original
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:50 am
Quote:
Izzy said: What about the 5th Commandment?

What about it? Heathen tribes used to sling their elderly and infirm parents out of the village to die of exposure and starvation because they regarded them as useless mouths to feed, so God had to say "Don't do that!"
In fact as recently as only 150 years ago heathen redskin tribes of America were still doing it like in 'A Man Called Horse' where they slung an old woman out in a blizzard.
Thank God John Wayne and the US Cavalry eventually managed to civilise them..Smile
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:01 am
Quote:
Calamity said: the NWT was found to be the most accurate..

Accurate my ass!
"The Jehovah’s Witnesses realized that their beliefs contradicted Scripture, so they altered Scripture to agree with their beliefs. The “New World Bible Translation Committee” went through the Bible and changed any Scripture that did not agree with Jehovah’s Witness theology"
http://www.gotquestions.org/New-World-Translation.html

They can't get under the true Bible's radar..Smile-
"Many false prophets shall arise and deceive many" (Matt 24:11)
"If anyone preaches a perverted gospel they're accursed" (Gal 1:6-9)
"Ignorant people distort things,to their own destruction" (2 Pet 3:16/17)
"They want to win you over and alienate you from us" (Gal 4:17)
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:07 am
Quote:
Smileyrius said: Only one calf was built and the celebration was declared specifically to YHWH, not to multiple gods

If that's the case, why was God and Moses furious at the Israelites for worshipping it?..Smile
"The Lord spoke to Moses: “your people have acted corruptly..my anger can burn against them and I can destroy them" (Exo ch 32)

-----------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini, he shoots, he scores!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shoots1_zpsa38dec6c.jpg~original
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:11 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Oh holy mackerel - worst pseudo-knowledge.
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:34 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I said non biased authority, don't be a mug Mick. You didn't quote unbiased sources because they don't confirm your claims.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:45 am
Quote:
Calamity said: I said non biased authority, don't be a mug Mick. You didn't quote unbiased sources because they don't confirm your claims.

Are you a closet JW by any chance, you seem keen to protect them from me..Wink
The fact is Satan's fingerprints are all over the JW's, he's convinced them to die rather than have transfusions, he's convinced them that christmas, easter and church spires are pagan, and that Jesus was crucified on a pole (Satan hates the cross), and he's even convinced them there's no hell!
So their JW New World Translation obviously hasn't done them a blind bit of good!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:55 am
Quote:
Walter Hinteler said:@RF-Oh holy mackerel - worst pseudo-knowledge.

Hello Walter, I think you said you were German so have you declared war on me?
They're a fine Christian race, they had the inscription "Gott mit uns" on their belt buckles..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gott-m-u.jpg~original
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Why am I smiling?

Because you're delusional.

Quote:
Because when the Islamification of Britain begins to bite, Sharia law will soon clean up our cities of drunks, beggars, junkies, perverts and atheists..Smile

There's no way on Earth that will ever happen. It's a delusion.

I think you actually believe it. I have to disagree with Setanta's assessment of you as a troll. I think you're a really sad case with developmental problems. You've not progressed emotionally since you hit adolescence.

0 Replies