How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:17 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

What on earth is normal Christianity?

This is Gunga's idea of "normal" Christianity.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Ku_Klux_Klan_Virgina_1922_Parade.jpg
neologist

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:44 am
The word is nominal, to refer to those who profess christianity, but whose beliefs and practices are contrary to scripture.

Of course, there has been considerable obfuscation by clergy of various denominations in the interest of power.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:10 am
@izzythepush,
Gosh - I am glad I am not normal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
@izzythepush,
Romeo's idea would also fit in there. Its founder was a deacon after all. All Christians think they have the unique answers to lifes enduring questions. Even though it was men who "Invented' Judaism and all the cults of Christianity and Islam.

Heres how Christianity was born

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
Quote:
Saab said: Gosh - I am glad I am not normal

Me too mate..Smile

"Become a fool by the worlds standards in order to become wise" (1 Cor 3:18 )
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/jester.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:27 am
I strongly suspect that Gunga Dim is either a native Serb, or Bosnian Serb, or an American of Serbian descent. He has the full set of Serb bigotry and hatred, and he idolizes Russia and Putin. He hates Muslims (i.e., Bosnians and Kosovars), he hates Catholics (i.e., Croatians and Slovenians) and he is absolutely a rabid hater of Clinton (because of the bombing of Serbia) and, by extension, the Democratic party. He once acknowledged here that he was raised a liberal Democrat by his parents, but didn't comment on how he became a rabid conservative hater. Personally, i think the answer is pretty obvious. I also strongly suspect that he is the reincarnation of SWolf, a member who hung around here for a short while, and then disappeared. Gunga Dim denies this--but the Wolves of Vučjak, commonly called the Serbian Wolves, were a vicious and murderous paramilitary group in Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia. I think Gunga Dim idolizes murderous gangsters like that, just as he idolized that crook Putin.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
God can post his opinions on this board any time He wants. I am not his spoke person and neither are you. And "normal" is a human word meaning "usual, average, or typical". Catholics are quite usual and average, I think.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm
@Olivier5,
"Catholics are quite usual and average, I think."

In most things, but they excel at guilt.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:12 pm
Quote:
Saab said:@RF- Catholics are quite usual and average, I think.

If praying to Jesus's mum is normal, I'm the Queen of Sheba..Smile
glitterbag

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:21 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

"Catholics are quite usual and average, I think."

In most things, but they excel at guilt.

I majored in guilt at Georgetown, my minor was smart ass irreverence.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:24 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Praying to Mary is a perfectly normal behaviour for Christians, yes. What's wrong with that? Once you accept that God had sex with that woman, she's obviously able to pass on a word or two to her mate, next time they do it...
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:29 pm
Quote:
Saab said: Praying to Mary is a perfectly normal behaviour for Christians, yes. What's wrong with that? Once you accept that God had sex with that woman, she's obviously of some passing on a word or two to her mate...

Nowhere does God and Jesus say pray to Mary, it's just something cooked up by the catholic church.
She didn't do Fredo much good-

glitterbag

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Saab said:@RF- Catholics are quite usual and average, I think.

If praying to Jesus's mum is normal, I'm the Queen of Sheba..Smile

That's simply not true. The mother of Jesus is not a deity. Nobody cares if you dislike someone for their religion, you've already exposed yourself as a racist, now it turns out you are a religious bigot. Well, what else are you woefully ignorant about.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
And where did Jesus ever said that people should pray to him? And yet plenty of normal Christians do it all the time... He never said he was God either.

The most bizarre denominations to me are the Mormons... The idea of magic underpants beats anything the CC ever cooked up.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:40 pm
Quote:
Glitterbug said:@RF-The mother of Jesus is not a deity. Nobody cares if you dislike someone for their religion, you've already exposed yourself as a racist, now it turns out you are a religious bigot. Well, what else are you woefully ignorant about

Well i've been trying to fathom out the rules of baseball with the help of this vid but I'm still none the wiser-

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
Romeo and Gunga are cut from the same cloth, not a particularly nice piece of cloth.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:05 pm
A denomination which only regard God and Jesus as the ones you can pray to, establishes a male world. This is rather typical for reformed churches.
Some denominations are more or less Jesus freaks - women and seniors have nothing to say. What these churches want to say is "Look we are young and modern". As a rule they are far from it.
By also praying to Mary we add a female side to the two male.
Maybe as a woman I would like to pray to Mary under certain circumstances.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 03:13 pm
@Olivier5,
In Mathew , chapter 6, Jesus taught his followers to direct prayers to his father. And in 1 Timothy 2:5, Jesus is referred to as the only intermediary between God and man. So prayers to and through any other entity would be contrary to scripture, assuming that's important.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 03:47 pm
@neologist,
Jesus was a Jew, and for Jews, one should worship only God. That's the first commandment. To consider Jesus as a god is already a form of idolatry, in Jesus' own world view.

This said, there is a difference in my dictionary between praying to an entity and worshiping that entity. Praying is like talking to someone, asking something. To her great chagrin, I can pray my wife to do something and yet not treat her as a goddess... So I wouldn't see praying to anyone as a proof of idolatry. Or is this splitting hair?
neologist

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 06:08 pm
@Olivier5,
We must be careful not to give honor to any creation. This is what the angel said to John in Revelation chapter 19:10
Quote:
10 At that I fell down before his feet to worship him. But he tells me: “Be careful! Do not do that! I am only a fellow slave of you and of your brothers who have the work of witnessing concerning Jesus. Worship God! For the witness concerning Jesus is what inspires prophecy.”
If we are not to honor angels, how much less are we to honor any human?