Tuition Here and There

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:53 am
I am getting a little stressed out these few days as school is going to reopen next week, and my parents are sending me to tuitions. However, I am afraid I can't cope with all the subjects. It might take all of my free time as by the time I come home, it would be time to sleep. I scared I can't even finish my homework with extra activities after school. To add salt into wound, I am going into Science Stream next year, therefore I am afraid I can't manage my studies well. Any advice on how to motivate myself from feeling so down and negative about tuition?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 7,200 • Replies: 8
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:11 am
@arricalee,
What are 'tuitions'? Are they study groups or individual private tutoring sessions after school?

I guess I'd feel kind of down and overwhelmed if I spent all day in school and then had to go right into more studying - but unfortunately - that's the way it seems to go these days.

How not to feel down about it...I guess I would just tell myself that it's a somewhat temporary situation (which it IS...although I know it can seem like a lifetime if you don't like school and depending on what year in school you're currently in), but just keep reminding yourself that applying yourself at this point will reap rewards later when you get older and have prepared yourself for any opportunity that presents itself by learning how to work hard and learn what you need to know.
Achievement becomes its own rewards - as does learning-for most people. I always felt really good and proud of myself when I worked hard and succeeded in learning new things (I still love to learn new stuff and get good at things- that never goes away really).

Science was intimidating to me too. I didn't think I was good at it, so I always approached it without confidence - intimidated from the very beginning and I regret this now - because I think if I'd approached it with more confidence, I could have done fine. Instead, as soon as I could stop taking science courses, I did..and I regret that now.
If you're good at learning other things - you're probably fine to learn science. Just believe you can do it.

Also, take time every day to play the piano. I read in your profile that's something you like to do. It's something I like to do to - and especially when I was a student - playing the piano everyday was a wonderful destresser. The music takes you to another place - you don't have to think - you're hands just do it..you need something like that to help you remember there are other important and wonderfully pleasurable aspects to your life in addition to the grind of studying.

If you're doing your best and you still need help, talk to your parents. Make sure they know you're trying, but that you feel that you still might need help.
Sometimes kids feel that they have to do it all alone and suffer in silence, and some kids don't have parents they can approach. But I think most parents just want to know the truth and will help in any way they can. But they can't help if they don't know what's going on or what the problem is.

0 Replies

arricalee

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:11 am
Thanks. Piano is indeed one of the best thing in my life. Your advice is precious to me. Thanks a lot.
aidan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:42 am
@arricalee,
Quote:
Thanks.

you're welcome
Quote:
Piano is indeed one of the best thing in my life

mine too Smile

I read your other question about memorizing efficiently - that's not one of my strengths (except in math) so I'm not the best person to help you with that.

Someone else here who's good at it will probably come along, but if they don't, I have a friend who is pretty amazingly gifted in that area and I'll ask him if he has any helpful hints and get back to you.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:01 am
@arricalee,
arricalee- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I went back to college in my thirties, after dropping out in my teens.
I would read a textbook, and type notes involving the most important stuff. In that way, I could extract the most important material. Therefore, when I studied, I did not have to face the entire book, only the stuff that was the most important.

I am wondering whether you are carrying too heavy a load. Would it be possible to defer a couple of the courses?

You seem to love the piano. How about listening to piano music (not too loudly) when you are studing? I think that if you pair something pleasurable with the studying, you may find it less stressful. Good luck!
arricalee

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:23 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

Someone else here who's good at it will probably come along, but if they don't, I have a friend who is pretty amazingly gifted in that area and I'll ask him if he has any helpful hints and get back to you.

Thanks. I will wait for the 'hints' then. =]
0 Replies

arricalee

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:31 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yes, I have tried listening to music while I am studying. Although mum nags me about it, it seems ok now. And I do write my own notes and pinpoint the most important details. Thanks for the advice!
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
I am a teacher. Studying is good for you. It should be enjoyable. If you want to memorise things write lists of points in different colour pens espescially red.
Concentrate on stuff you dont like doing. I know its hard but people tend to learn stuff they already know.
More important ---read a lot.
talk about what you have learnt: it will help you remember.
Most importantly don't get stressed you have your whole life to learn: enjoy being young too.
One thing you could try is assosciating stuff you have to memorise with scales: That way you can learn while you are playing piano.
arricalee

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 04:36 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Thanks. Different colors pinpoint the importance of the subjects. Yeah, great idea!
0 Replies