I hate the Jets more than ever...

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
Quote:
The Devil Lurks

By BOB HERBERT
Published: January 2, 2009

I don’t talk about it much, but I have been touched by the supernatural. I have personally felt the hot breath of the devil. I am a Jets fan.

If there were a cure, I would take it. I would go to the meetings, do whatever. But there is no cure for a curse, and the New York Jets football franchise is cursed.

Just ask its latest coach, a fine young man named Eric Mangini. Two years ago he was heralded as a genius and favored with a cameo appearance on “The Sopranos.” He spent the second half of this season staring in disbelief as his team collapsed before his eyes for no apparent reason. On Monday he was summarily fired.

Just ask Brett Favre, one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. The Jets signed him in August, expecting great things, maybe even a championship. By the end of the season Favre, who is 39 and well past his prime, looked like a man in shock. Forget a championship; the team hadn’t even made the playoffs.

You may scoff, but this is not a mere fan’s lament. This is about a Faustian bargain on a football field. Trust me. Demons lurk.

January 12th, eight days before the inauguration of Barack Obama, will be the 40th anniversary of the most glorious day in Jets history. On that date in 1969 a young Joe Namath and his upstart teammates pulled off the greatest upset in pro football history, defeating the mighty Baltimore Colts in the Super Bowl, 16-7.

As an obsessive and peculiarly sensitive fan, I knew during the course of that season that something odd was happening. A sense of unreality accompanied the Jets’ march toward glory. Unseen forces were tipping footballs this way and that. Fortuitous gusts of wind would erupt inexplicably on the calmest of Sunday afternoons.

What I didn’t know was that an adjustment had been made to the ordinary course of existence. A shift had taken place. Namath and his coach, the wily, grandfatherly Weeb Ewbank, had made a pact with the devil.

This is fairly widely known now. I bring it up for the following reasons: Because the anniversary is approaching and events this season so clearly showed that the unspeakable terms of the agreement remain rigidly in force; and because young Jets fans may not understand the source of their inevitable and unending pain.

How long has it been since the Jets went to the Super Bowl? Lyndon Johnson was president. Jacqueline Kennedy and Aristotle Onassis were newlyweds. Barack Obama was just 7 years old. And Favre hadn’t even been born.

The first public hint that Namath and Ewbank had sold the soul of the franchise came at a Miami awards banquet, a few days before the Super Bowl, when Namath famously guaranteed a victory. But a Namath biographer, Mark Kriegel, tells us of a conversation that Joe had with a Long Island bartender named Tank Passuello before the team headed to Miami for the game.

Passuello told Namath that the Colts were roughly seven-to-one favorites. Namath told Passuello to “bet the ranch” on the Jets.

Passuello asked if he was sure.

“Positive,” said Namath.

The game was one of the most famous in all of sports, and there is an iconic video image of Namath leaving the field at the Orange Bowl, his right arm raised and his index finger pointed skyward, as in, “We’re number one!”

But I saw another sight that most fans missed. Ewbank’s normally mild face was wild with demonic glee. He cackled like a madman. The devil had come through. The Jets had won the Super Bowl.

The payback " unrelieved futility " would last an eternity.

The Jets have had 13 coaches since Ewbank, including his unfortunately named son-in-law, Charley Winner. When Lou Holtz took over as coach in 1976, he seemed to know that weirdness was in the air. He made no grand pronouncements, promising fans only that the team would “move the ball.” He then hedged even that modest bet by adding, “I just hope to God it’s forward.”

Holtz fled before the season ended, shrieking hysterically as he left town that “God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach pro football.”

The devil could be heard roaring with laughter.

The great Bill Belichick was hired as head coach in January 2000, but he got wind of the curse and resigned after just one day.

The Jets have brief periods when they do well, but that only serves to make it more delightful for the devil when the raised hopes are dashed.

Hopes are rising again as the franchise searches for yet another coach. Can’t you hear the laughter?

There is no cure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/opinion/03herbert.html?hp
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:10 am
@kickycan,
Well, we can count the hottest team in football out, can't we?

The Chargers make too many mistakes to get very far in the playoffs, but they were, obviously, more than the Colts could handle.

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hey, that's why they play the games. Using your statistical analysis method of picking, you should have picked the Colts in a landslide. I guess that shows how reliable your method is! Actually I'm glad the Colts lost. They were one of the few teams I was worried about the Steelers having to play. Yes, I am worried about the Chargers, who are on a roll lately, but the Steelers should get by them. And then the Steelers are looking good for ring number six!
Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:52 pm
@kickycan,
LT will not play...
kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:56 pm
@Rockhead,
But that little running freak Sproles will be there. He scares me a little. But only a little. I have a feeling Dick LeBeau will have a little something special planned to take care of his scrawny little ass.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:57 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

But that little running freak Sproles will be there. He scares me a little. But only a little. I have a feeling Dick LeBeau will have a little something special planned to take care of his scrawny little ass.

There's a reason Sproles wasn't the starter, even with LT's injury this year...

Titans all the way Baby!

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:59 pm
@kickycan,
Yeah, I like him too. He's a local kid...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I can't wait until the Steelers get their revenge on those bastards. If they make it past Baltimore, that is.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 05:06 pm
@kickycan,
At this point you have to worry about every team your team plays, but it's unlikely the Chargers will beat Pittsburgh; just as it is unlikely Arizona will beat Carolina ( I'm still worried though).

All the season stats can tell you is who is most likely to win in a match-up, but as the hoary cliche goes: "On any given Sunday..."

A team can upset their way thorugh a playoff system and win a championship, but its highly improbable.
kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It sure is, especially this year, after the Giants just finished accomplishing that exact feat last year. What are the odds of that happening two years in a row? No way. This year one of the favorites has to win.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:00 pm
@kickycan,
<Sproles fan here..>
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:46 pm
@kickycan,
Were all of the Giant's playoff opponents favored over them last year?

I don't think so, but your point is generally well taken.

It will be something of a miracle for San Diego to win the Super Bowl.

The sports media pundits, at this time of year, all get woodies over strong defenses.

Baltimore is not going to make it to the Superbowl because no matter how great their defense (and it is great), their offense cannot compete with even 50% versions of the offenses of the elite NFL teams they will meet.

Defense, without offense, doesn't win championship games.

Pittsburgh has the potential of a fine offense that has not really showed itself all year. In one or two games it surely can.

Baltimore is not in that league.

By virtue of the combination of offensive and defensive strength, New York has to be the favorite.

The Eagles are this year's "fun pick." for the sports pundits. The Giants are going to crush them.

Pittsburg will soundly beat the Chargers.

Titans will narrowly beat the Ravens.

Carolina will beat Arizona

Giants will soundly beat the Eagles.

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Were all of the Giant's playoff opponents favored over them last year?

I'm not 100% sure about it, but I know that they were the bottom seed in the NFC playoffs, and that they beat the Bucs in Tampa, the Cowboys in Dallas, the Packers in Cheeseland, and then...well, what happened then was just about the best thing ever, as we all know.

http://blog.syracuse.com/axeman/2008/02/large_tyreecatch.jpg

A thing of beauty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree with your picks, mostly, but differ with you on how it will happen. I, Kickstradamus, predict the following...

The Steelers will give the Chargers a serious ass-whoopin'. Agreed.

Baltimore will have it won, but will give the game away with some idiotic mistake at the last minute.

The Giants will win, but just barely.

And of course the Cardinals will beat the hell out of the Panthers.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:53 pm
@kickycan,
And of course they did.

Aaaggghhhh!!!!!

Well, I'm 0 for 2 so far.

The only comfort I take in my horrid prognastications is that by this time tomorrow, the Chargers will have beat The Steelers.

Can you imagine The Superbowl: Chargers vs Cardinals?

I can't.

Still believe Giants will beat Eagles, and Steelers will beat Chargers.

Then it will be a tough game for Pittsburgh to beat the Ravens, and easy game for the Giants to beat Arizona - leading up to New York vs Pittsburgh in the superbowl.

But what the hell do I know?
kickycan

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ha! It is so sweet when that happens. What a crazy weekend. I have no complaints. Even though I am almost as bad a prognosticator as you, this has turned out to be a fantastic playoff season so far! Now all I need is for Ben to play relatively mistake-free football (admittedly, that is a pretty tall order) for two more games, and it's superbowl #6 for the Steelers!

The Steelers will beat the Ravens, the Cardinals will beat the Eagles, and the Steelers will crush the Cards in the SB, once again putting them alone at the top as far as Superbowl championships go. GO STEELERS!
Gargamel

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@kickycan,
No way the Cards beat the Eagles.

And Eagles v. Steelers will be pretty damn good matchup.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:02 am
@Gargamel,
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8731/arizonacardinalslogotc5.gifhttp://img178.imageshack.us/img178/791/phillyeaglescarmagnetfb0.jpg

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:03 pm
@kickycan,
I have no freaking idea of what will happen.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:02 pm
Congrats Kicky

I rooting for Arizona now to win for the NFC

Anything is possible.

0 Replies