Font size in Canon Pixma iP4200

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:42 pm
Suddenly my Canon Pixma iP4200 doesn't print in anything but 10pt type. This is very awkward, as I need 14 or 16 for lectures and presentations. How can I adjust the type size?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,250 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@Tomkitten,
P.S. This is URGENT.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 03:10 am
Need a lot more details.

Is it printing in the wrong font size for only one document or all documents?

Have you tried shutting off the printer (including unplugging it) and then turning it back on? Was the result the same?

You don't say what software you are using so I can only give a general instruction regarding that. Have you tried changing the font size in the page set up of the software? Maybe someone else changed the default settings.

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 10:29 am
@Butrflynet,
Experimenting with various sizes shows that printing consistently seems to be several points smaller than Word document, e.g. document in 24-pt, prints as 16-pt, 36-pt in document prints as 18-pt (36-pt printout & 16-pt doc both = 1/4" high.

Shutting off, disconnecting, unplugging - same result.

Software is Canon iP4200, manual is no help.

No one else has access.

I guess I can manage if I remember that I should always set the type for 18, but I shouldn't have to do this.

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:44 pm
@Tomkitten,
You do realize that your computer screen isn't necessarily the same resolution as print right? You may have a resolution that displays larger than the real size of the font.

Did you recently change resolution or font settings on your computer or Word?
Tomkitten

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 02:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I know that what shows on the screen isn't necessarily the same as what prints out, but the discrepancy is more than normal.

I use various sizes and fonts, but usually 14 or 16 point, Times New
Roman.

I did have my computer repaired several months ago, and frankly, I think they cleaned out too much - I lost some fairly important files; perhaps they bollixed up the printer connection as well.

I'm not going to go back to them again, even though I've paid for a year's service contract. This is the last straw.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 12:53 am
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:

Experimenting with various sizes shows that printing consistently seems to be several points smaller than Word document, e.g. document in 24-pt, prints as 16-pt, 36-pt in document prints as 18-pt (36-pt printout & 16-pt doc both = 1/4" high.

Is this happening with just one document or all documents? I'm trying to narrow down if the problem is the settings with one specific document or the default settings for all documents.

Have you checked the Windows Update or Canon websites to see if there are new drivers for the printer?

Also, have you gone into Printer Setup to confirm that your default printer is still the one you are using? Now that we know that techs worked on it recently, it is possible they installed a printer definition for their own printer to do some testing.

Shutting off, disconnecting, unplugging - same result.

Software is Canon iP4200, manual is no help.

What software are you using to open, edit and issue the print command for the document? Word? Is it an earlier or later version than 2007 (ribbon menus or old-style menus)?

What operating system are you using, Vista or XP or something else?

Need answers to the last two questions so I don't have to provide a lot of information that doesn't pertain to your situation.

Also, please try one more thing for me and tell me the results. Open up Notepad and type or paste a short paragraph. Set the font size to 14 or 16 pt and then print it. Are the results what you expected or are they also different from the screen display?

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 12:57 am
@Tomkitten,
Rather than comparing what is printed to what is displayed on the screen, let's compare apples with apples.

Get one of your old documents you've printed out in the past and compare the font sizes to a recently printed one. Are they the same size? If so, then the problem is not with your printer or the wordprocessing software. The problem is someone changed the display settings on your computer. We can tell you how to fix that once we know which operating system you are using.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 06:50 am
@Butrflynet,
Replying to all posts on this topic: I am about to sit down and read everything you've suggested/asked most carefully, and then try to respond intelligently. Surely there must be an answer somewhere in there.Thank you, and I'll let you know how I get on.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:46 pm
OK. Now I'm free to track down this printer/font problem properly.

I use an HP a1550y with Windows XP Home and Word 2002.

The only times the technicians had access to my computer were here at home; I didn't send the machine out, and I don't remember any work being done on the printer. No one else has access to the computer.

I'm using 16pt when I can in order to get the 14-pt and although this usually works, it's a nuisance. Also, I am annoyed that I have to use a work-around to achieve a normal command.

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:46 pm
@Tomkitten,
I forgot to mention that the printer is a Canon iP4200.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 02:29 pm
Did you do a comparison of before and after printed documents to be sure it is the actual printed font size that has changed and not the font size displayed on your computer screen?

There are two entirely different solutions to each and we'll have to eliminate one of them to work on the other.
Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 01:29 am
I have come to the conclusion that it is unlikely to be the computer. I printed out an response and while printing from those has always produced fairly small type, this is minuscule - 8pt or smaller. So it would seem likely to be the printer,
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 01:48 am
@Tomkitten,
Did you copy and paste the text into something and then tell it to print? Which program did you use to produce the print job?

If it was Word or some other word processing program, try this.

Open Notepad. There should be an icon for it on your Desktop, if not you'll probably find it in your Start programs menu under Accessories.

Once open, do the same thing. Copy and paste the text into Notepad and then click File and Print. When you do that I want you to check two things. First of all, the Print window will tell you the name of the printer it is going to send the print job to. Confirm that it is describing the correct printer name and model. After the print job completes printing, compare the two, the one from Notepad and the one produced by the other program. Let me know if they are the same font styles and same font sizes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:06 am
No, I printed directly from A2K.
Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:30 am
@Tomkitten,
The printing with Word and Notepad is the same. Both come out smaller than they should. BTW - I tried Times New Roman 12 pt and 14 point in both programs for better comparison.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:19 pm
@Tomkitten,
Did you confirm in the print window that it is attempting to send the print job to the correctly named printer brand and model number?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
Yes. And I tried printing out a selection of sizes, and the result was consistently 2 point smaller than the printout. I'd send you a copy if I knew how - I have Acrobat for in-house uploading of stuff for our newsletter, but I don't know the route for A2K.
0 Replies

Rita Cornish

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 11:17 am
how do I change the font on my Canon Pixma printer? The font has alway been small. I bet it is at about 4 or 5. Please help me change it..Thank you Rita
0 Replies