Figures.

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:28 am
Apparently my book announcement violated something, or whatever, because it is most certainly very much deleted from the site now. Well, fine then. Ruin my opportunity to get my name out. I won't so much as mention its' name anymore, apparently that's "advertising" because it's actually being sold in stores. I was going to post more of my work here, well, at least I was planning to, but not anymore. After all, since all of it may possibly be in print in the future, I'd be advertising my talents, as such I won't waste my time. Or, perhaps the fact that it's a drug book offends. Are we so unwilling to look outside our little pocket universes? If the fact that it's a drug book bothers you, I would certainly encourage you to buy a copy so you can burn it on your altar to Henry Anslinger and Janet Reno. Oh, I'm sorry, was that an advertisement? Well, BITE ME!

-Hoping all your literary successes meet with the same resistance,

-Cricket
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 712 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:39 am
Re: Figures.
Tang_Quester wrote:
Ruin my opportunity to get my name out.

I had nothing to do with your thread being removed but I think you erred in thinking this was a place to "get your name out".

The site rules are painfully clear in that promotional postings are not allowed. This is simply not the place to "get your name out" or anything. That it was a drug book was definitely not a factor, don't be so quick to assume that you breaking the rules was not a factor and that everyone else's jealousy or envy was.

Frankly, if you had simply named it and discussed it it probably wouldn't have been a problem but much of your post was about purchasing it.
0 Replies

TangQuester

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:11 am
Did you even read my thread before it got erased? The only time I even mentioned purchasing the book was when I said, "If you're not interested, don't buy it." Yeah, real pushy salesmanship there, I know. What I ASKED people to do was tell others about it, not so they would buy it, but so they would at least check out, maybe check it out from the library if they cared to. I couldn't have cared less if they bought it or not, I get minimal revenue from it anyway. But y'know what? Screw it. Out of the 5 paragraphs I wrote, 4 were discussing the book, and the 5th was my request to tell others about it. Indeed, the ONLY bleeding recommendation on the ENTIRE THREAD was by a friend of mine, and was posted only hours before it got axed! Can my friends not recommend my work? If I tell you that you should go read Stephen King's The Dark Tower series because it's arguably the best fantasy series ever, did I just cross the line again? Dr. Scholl's gel insoles are incredibly comfortable, can I not tell you about them because of some vague inference that I might be generating money for them? Forget it. My work will never again be seen on this page.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:16 am
Yes, I read your thread. I did not find your salesmenship to be pushy at all. I even went and looked up your book.

But asking people to check it out is a promotion.

It does not matter if you are promoting a way to make money or not.

If you started a thread asking people to donate money to a charity it would likely have received the same treatment.

In case it's still unclear to you this is not the place for promotions of any variety.

And you can take your anger elsewhere, I do not care if you do not post your work here at all. The rules apply to everyone and yes, your friend asking people to check out your work was a violation. Whether you post your work here again or not is immaterial to me or to the moderators.

If you have any further complaints about the Moderation contact the moderator account yourself. This thread will be locked.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:20 am
PS, in case it wasn't clear I had seen your thread and had no problem with it. But the mods have a job to do and if you follow the rules you'd have no problems.

Just post the discussion without a "call to action"(buy my book, tell others about it) and you will be fine.

I appreciated that you hadn't linked it and hadn't flagged it as spam personally but the rules are the rules and the moderator's enforcement of the rules is no reason to dump your anger on the boards.
0 Replies