Can any illegal drug be good for someone?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 01:35 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Or people would just all be wacked out on hard drugs.
I dunno, I just don't think it would be a good scene.
1OO years ago,
people were NOT "just all be wacked out on hard drugs"; some were.

shay15 wrote:
If they were illegalized 100 years ago, it must've been for a good reason
U have too much faith in government.

David
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 11:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well why would they make it illegal? They could have done what they do with cigarettes and just tax them really hard!
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 02:14 pm
They were illegalized mostly because of the puritanical mindset of the powers that be, and their cultural and racial prejudices.
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 07:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
That doesn't even make sense
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 09:43 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Well why would they make it illegal?
They could have done what they do with cigarettes and just tax them really hard!
The idea was that people woud make bad choices
to which thay became addicted.

Politicians decided to make those choices FOR them, faking
and pretending that thay have authority to DO that.
shay15

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 01:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So it's all a scam? I don't know, I think it's more practical than that. Drugs cause harm. So they're illegalized. It seems simple
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 02:56 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

So it's all a scam? I don't know, I think it's more practical than that. Drugs cause harm. So they're illegalized. It seems simple

Under that theory most of life would be criminalized, as most everything causes harm in the right dose and/or circumstance.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:16 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
So it's all a scam?
Its not "all" a scam.
Government has been legitimately granted SOME jurisdiction,
but it steals additional jurisdiction by fakery.

When I was 9, I accidentally discovered the US Constitution
in the back of a history book. I read it. That did not take long.
I suggest that u read it. http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A1Sec9
Then u 'll have some background, some foundation,
as to what government can and can't properly DO.

David
shay15

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's called public safety
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:42 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
It's called public safety
If the laws against drugs r repealed,
then their prices will drop.

Thay 'll be very cheap.
Addicts will no longer need to rob innocent victims
to raise money to buy the illegal drugs;
therefore, innocent victims will remain unrobbed, in many cases. That will be good for public safety.

David
shay15

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well there you go, there's another reason illegalizing drugs could be for the benefit of our society
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:59 pm
@shay15,
The abuse of opium was tied with racist and prejudicial ideas against the Chinese immigrants of the late 19th century and into the beginning of the 20th. The abuse of cocaine was tied with racist and prejudicial ideas against African Americans in the early part of the 2oth century, and the abuse of marijuana was stigmatized with Mexican immigrants around that same time. Instead of responding to the use and abuse of these drugs through medical and social means, the country pursued a puritanical and racially discriminatory response through strict law enforcement and militarization.
shay15

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well nothing else was working. People know the negative effects of drugs, and yet they still choose to submit themselves to them. Now, I'm not saying people don't do the same with alcohol and cigarettes, but we can't assume we can fix drugs by taking a more scientific and peaceful approach to it. It doesn't work. Some things need to just be straight up banned because there is nothing good that comes from them. Drugs are too dangerous to have people waste time experimenting with how they effect each individual life, because we know they do harm to the majority of the people involved after a certain amount of time. We scientifically know this happens, and now we need a stronger force to enforce it because people themselves won't take that responsibility.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:19 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Well there you go, there's another reason illegalizing drugs could be for the benefit of our society
I meant it the other way around.
Thay are already ILLEGAL now.
I was suggesting making them legal (as thay were 1OO years ago).
That woud have the effect of reducing violent crime (robberies and burglaries)
by reducing the prices of the drugs. Most robbers rob to get money to buy expensive drugs.
Thay are expensive only because thay are against the law.

I wanna make another point, concerning USURPATION of power, by government.

Suppose that one of your acquaintances came over
and started ordering u around, telling u to do some things
and stopping u from doing other things.

U 'd probably ask him what right he has to tell YOU what to DO; right??

When government was created,
it was only given certain particular authority.
Anything beyond what was given to it, it does NOT have.

The Founders, the creators of government never gave it authority
to tell them (the citizens) what thay can ingest. That is a personal private decision.

Government was never given authority to interfere in a citizen
engaging in self-destructive conduct.

If we let government get away with stealing power
(for instance: telling us what drugs we can and can't take)
then it will become a tyranny, a despotism, a dictatorship.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So stipulated!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:23 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Well nothing else was working. People know the negative effects of drugs, and yet they still choose to submit themselves to them.

Evidently then, these drugs also have positive effects on these people that offset the bad ones. That's why they're taking them. If addiction ruins their lives, it's their lives to ruin, so let them do it. If it doesn't ruin their lives---most users of illegal drugs are casual---let them have their pleasure. I'd rather see my taxes pay for the doctors to help them treat addiction than for the further militarization of our police force.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 02:15 am
Sure they can have positive effects. Warding off withdrawal symptoms can be very positive.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 02:38 am
@Thomas,
shay15 wrote:
Well nothing else was working. People know the negative effects of drugs, and yet they still choose to submit themselves to them.
Thomas wrote:
Evidently then, these drugs also have positive effects on these people that offset the bad ones. That's why they're taking them. If addiction ruins their lives, it's their lives to ruin, so let them do it. If it doesn't ruin their lives---most users of illegal drugs are casual---let them have their pleasure. I'd rather see my taxes pay for the doctors to help them treat addiction than for the further militarization of our police force.
WELL SAID, Thomas!
I saw an ex-heroin addict in England on 6O Minutes who said that he'd been getting
a weekly prescription of pharmaceutically pure heroin for 20 years.
He was free to continue using it, but he simply lost interest in it
and forgot about it PEACEFULLY, without robbing anyone to
raise funds to buy heroin.

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 02:47 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Sure they can have positive effects. Warding off withdrawal symptoms can be very positive.

That's exactly the way I feel about my morning coffee. If the DEA should ever want to take it away from me, they must pry it from my cold, dead, still-trembling hands.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:26 am
@Thomas,
That does it!

Get that government out of my life and OFF MY BACK!