Can any illegal drug be good for someone?

shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 05:50 pm
But if the people can't control their drugs, I think someone has too. If law enforcement is nessesary, then that's what should happen.
0 Replies

shay15

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 05:00 pm
But I think the government needs to play a role in protecting its citizens, and if regulating what the public is ingesting is nessesary, then it is! The government is set up to help maintain order and that's something that should be done if drugs become a problem which they obviously have in Colombia
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:36 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
But I think the government needs to play a role in protecting its citizens,
WHERE and HOW did government GET
any authority to DO that??

Do u see the need of questioning,
challenging usurpations of power??

See, the point is that
personal freedom (yours and mine) and the jurisdiction
of government are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

David
shay15

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well then what's the point of the government then?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:21 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Well then what's the point of the government then?
The points of government are
to repel alien raids or invasions,
to defend the rights of its citizens (within the jurisdiction of government)
and a few miscellaneous incidentals e.g. establishing weights n measures,
coining money, registering copyrights n patents; a few other incidentals,
but the IMPORTANT thing is to NOT let government get out-of-hand
or we will be in a Frankenstein situation with the object of our creation
turning against its creators (meaning us).

David
shay15

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 11:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You said a job of the government is to protect the rights of people. I would consider life a right, and if drugs get out of control in a country, then that right is being taken away from the user and the people the user hurts in the process of using or obtaining drugs. If drugs are the cause of life being stolen, then I believe it is the government's duty to help prevent that. With all this legalization of marijuana, I doubt that the government will claim total control of drugs, but just think what life would be like if meth and heroin were legal and running rampant. It would not be a pretty scene.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 11:51 am
@shay15,
Quote:
I would consider life a right, and if drugs get out of control in a country, then that right is being taken away from the user and the people the user hurts in the process of using or obtaining drugs.

How would your right to life be taken away if drugs were to get out of control in a country?
Quote:
If drugs are the cause of life being stolen, then I believe it is the government's duty to help prevent that.

Bathtubs, automobiles, airplanes, ladders, electricity, etc. cause life to be stolen. How do you propose that government prevent that?
shay15

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 11:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well that's a valid point, but there are so many less people that are affected by death or being hurt from bathtubs and such than drugs. The government shouldn't try and protect the public from everything because something's always going to kill someone, but if the government can illegalize and keep under control hard drugs, then they should try. I mean, what good do drugs honestly give to a society? I can't think of one thing.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:01 am
@shay15,
Quote:
The government shouldn't try and protect the public from everything because something's always going to kill someone,

Exactly, preserving our freedom is more valuable than is any good that can come out of authoritarian efforts to tamp down the capriciousness of life.....if you need safety you are in the wrong place, embrace your reality, stop sniveling, and move on. When you get to Heaven you can take up with GOD your complaints about risks of injury we suffer as a life forms.

Quote:
I mean, what good do drugs honestly give to a society? I can't think of one thing
They keep us amused and sedated enough that we rarely kill each other.....this being just one thing.
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Well are we talking marijuana or like heroin and meth? Because marijuana is not really an issue, but hard drugs are no good
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:23 am
@shay15,
Hard drugs, e.g., heroin,
have been FATAL to people who have not
taken them, but who fell victim of addicts
driven to desperation by artificially high prices
resulting from their being illegal.

If thay were LEGAL, then thay 'd be as cheap as weeds.
Thay WERE until thay got outlawed about 1OO years ago.
(Heroin was sold in drug stores, as a cold remedy.)

Crime woud plummet,
if addictive narcotics were legalized. Drug lords woud starve.

David
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Or people would just all be wacked out on hard drugs. I dunno, I just don't think it would be a good scene. If they were illegalized 100 years ago, it must've been for a good reason
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:39 am
@shay15,
So, if hard drugs were to be legalized you'd be wacked out on them, just because they were legalized?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:40 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

Well are we talking marijuana or like heroin and meth? Because marijuana is not really an issue, but hard drugs are no good

Even if we could agree on that we might not agree on what to do with people who use these "no good" drugs. The law and prison is not the right tool for every job.
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Well what do you think we should do with hard-core druggies who commit crimes and hurt people? Not arrest them? I guess conseling could work
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:52 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

Well what do you think we should do with hard-core druggies who commit crimes and hurt people? Not arrest them? I guess conseling could work

are you under the impression that you need a law against drugs to arrest these sorts of people?
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:58 am
@hawkeye10,
Well if you make drugs illegal, you wouldn't have to worry about having as many of those people to worry about. See, I'm in highschool and I know that if drugs were legalized, all hell would break loose. I know that it's just kids, but I'm sure many older people would take advantage of legalized drugs and use them A LOT. I think that we're nipping some problems in the bud by making hard drugs illegal, honestly.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 01:10 am
@shay15,
Quote:
. I think that we're nipping some problems in the bud by making hard drugs illegal, honestly

Based upon what? Does the law make drugs hard to get? Does it convince young people to not use them? Did sitting through some DARE sessions convince you that you will never want to do drugs?
shay15

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 01:17 am
@hawkeye10,
I've seen lots of people that I know screw their life up because they got arrested for having and using drugs, and honestly, we'll talk about it and there's no appeal to do it because a) its horrible for you b) if you get arrested your life is not going to be the same. I think it's just another negative factor to using drugs, instead of a plus. It may excite some people to be "bad" and try drugs and stuff, but I think it turns people away too.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 01:22 am
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

I've seen lots of people that I know screw their life up because they got arrested for having and using drugs, and honestly, we'll talk about it and there's no appeal to do it because a) its horrible for you b) if you get arrested your life is not going to be the same. I think it's just another negative factor to using drugs, instead of a plus. It may excite some people to be "bad" and try drugs and stuff

In such cases it could be argued that it is not the drugs or the use of drugs that have caused the problem, but rather it is the laws against drug use that is causing people to suffer.

Quote:
but I think it turns people away too.

Based upon what?

0 Replies