What the F*&^%????

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:44 pm
Living in Africa I can say that yeah there's the pro's and the cons to it all but lets remember Africa is a huge continent varying in climate, cultures, religions and economic status okay!!!!

I'm South African and dam bloody proud of it!!!!! I love South Africa!

Now i was reading Africa a dying Continent, I find that completely offensive, a dying continent???? What sorry? yes there's civil war, yes there's Zimbabwe and yes there's AIDS but i promise you normal life continues in Africa despite all this....

You'd be surprised what you would find in Jo'burg or Cape Town or even Nairobi or Maputo.

The big black continent where we all ride elephants to school (if we have a missionary that is)! Baa Humbug i say to that... Nothing could be further from the truth, besides elephants are endangered animals we'd be better off riding mules or something...

I'll be honest there's many problems but name one place with out.

It boils down to racism in the media those constant perpetuations of the black African incapable of running a country, the black African as nothing more then civil war soldier or victim, the black african nothing more then an aids victim, the black african nothing more then famine victim, the black african nothing more then safari guide. What about the the business man the middle class etc, besides that what about the other racial groups that live in Africa: the indians, the orientals, the europeans etc or should we continue the romantic but doomed myth of Africa as this giant safari park, one giant country roamed by natives who live in huts??? Or violent uneducated soldiers who poach Rhino and kill each other?

There's more to Africa then you think.

I'd say Africa's the youngest troubled teen of the world, she's certianly not dying there's much life in her, it may not be pretty it may be boot camp for most but Africa's seething with people and how dare you write them off.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,773 • Replies: 37
No top replies

gingy

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 05:24 pm
my sig. other's ex daughter-in-law was born there. she got out when she was 17. it was terrible there. johanesberg was not exactly a safe place. you needed guard dogs and fences to protect a meek-looking house.

nothing wrong with the country or the people. but the wealth is divided to severely--like it will be in this country someday...and not too far off. Sad
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 05:25 pm
Hey Tag, gosh...

I live in Canada and I could tell you a thing or two about dog sleds, I digress.
I know many south africans, nigerians, ugandans, tanzanian ect. many come to canada to live. The stories I've heard are wonderful and inspirational. However I do think the average north american DOES need to be aware of the troubles in africa. I don't think Africa is dying but geez, it does need the support of richer nations or... it could become a huge seething continent of anger directed at the weathly nations who did nothing to help in its time of need. AIDS is terrifying and the death rate in Africa is beyond alarming. Civil war is brutal and many countries in africa seem to be involved on a continous basis. It's so sad to see any people ripped apart by the problems of poverty and war but I doubt if anyone has such a simplistic view of the dark continent.
The rich cultural diversity, music and art are but some of the african things that have enriched my life. So, while I pray for a better future - safety, health and security for my african friends I would hardly pigeon hole any of the inhabitants of the massive continent.
Ceili
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 05:28 pm
Africa sounds like an exciting and interesting place. If I were well off enough I would plan to visit there. Unfortunately, I will have to count on persons such as yourself to clue me in, tagged.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 05:50 pm
tl, WELCOME to A2K. I've been to the African Continent about seven times. My latest trips to Africa included Tanzania, Kenya, Zambia,Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa during the past three years. I think Cape Town is a wonderful place, and the climate was almost like San Francisco when we visited in April of 2002. We also visited Stellenbosch for one day, and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. We visited one of the shanty towns in Cape Town where the living conditions are still very primitive, and although the leadership there seemed full of hope for a better future, I don't see much improvements in the near future for those folks. We visited some of the private concession safari camps in Zimbabwe, Namibia, and Botswana, and the driver-guides were all excellent. Their ability to find game is amazing, and their knowledge of the flora and fauna are impressive. Even visited the lodge where Liz Taylor and Richard Burton stayed in Chobe National Park. I was stationed in Morocco for one year in the US Air Force north of Marrakech several life times ago, and visited Egypt twice during the past six years. I don't think Africa is a dying continent, but the HIV/AIDS epidemic is killing Africans at an alarming rate. Most of the countries in the southern half of Africa has a life expectancy of forty years or less. Something must be done to turn that around.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:41 pm
Hiya tagged. I was also a bit offended by the title and implication of the thread you're protesting.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:26 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:59 pm
Let me restate i know there's problems here more then most as i've lived here my whole life and intergrate with africans all day long i am african my father is GP in a poor area he deal with AIDS vitims everyday pelase don't tell me about AIDS like i donn't know I live with it day in and day out. I think i made it clear that I was aware of the problems in africa maybe i didn't but i still have hope and I think it would be wrong to deprive a whole continent of a future what you think?

I can not belive some have the gaul to tell me what South Africa is like when they don't live here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 02:30 pm
Well, lots of people who don't live in America have the gaul to tell me about our problems. That's a real problem with the internet, huh?
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 02:46 pm
agreed roger
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 03:56 pm
tagged,

The person who started the discussion you are complaining about was a friend of mine who is from South Africa.

Proximity isn't all it's knocked up to be.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
yeah but eh lived here a while ago
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:00 pm
Yeah, about a month or so before posting that thread. My point was not that he was right (I disagreed with him), just that proximity makes little difference.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:25 pm
But experince does, and only through being here and experince in it can you have a more informed view.

A countru is not text book nor is a continent not something that can be learned from books or the media (definatley no the media). You may get some idea but just like sex you won't know till you done it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:27 pm
Just don't discount the occasional bloke who is immune to getting it. I've argued your point of view with Pharon before.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:35 pm
I'm really confused right now, my heads pounding and every time I try to think of something it pounds more...

but what you eman immune to getting it getting what?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:41 pm
What I mean is that the same experience can and often will lead to two separate conclusions. I believe Pharon has lived in Africa longer than you have (dunno how old you are) but his opinion is different.

I agree with you, and disagree with him.

But if experience and proximity were the final word in any discussion with him about Africa I'd have to cede that he is always right.

Basically I'm saying that your arguments can stand on their own, the proximity clause is a red herring.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:53 pm
okay... I suppose and do agree that experince of same place experince by X amount of people will have x amount of conclusions due to our own internal realities.

What I think i was getting at was Celi and the likes telling em about Africa's problems the ones I live with that's all I don't live in a box that's all i was getting at.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:59 pm
I rarely care about ethnicity but as a person living in South Africa I am sure you understand that the perspectives are very different.

Can you confirm that you are caucasean? Not that I care, just curious really.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:04 pm
yeah a white jewess man minoriteis of minorities over here Razz
0 Replies