Neighbor's Keeping Balls

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:25 pm
Is it illegal to keep a neighbor's balls when they accidentally go over the fence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,749 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:31 pm
@sparkleblueshine,
Well ...... I don't think I'd be grabbin' my neighbors balls if he put em' through my fence. Razz

Seriously ..... he's your neighbor. Ya might wanna give em' back to keep the peace. You have to live side by side and I don't think keeping his balls is worth the war it might cause. Besides....you said it was an accident. Cut him a break! As for it being legal .... I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer that. I would tend to think not.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:37 pm
@sparkleblueshine,
Only if they are still attached to your neighbour.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:39 pm
@sparkleblueshine,
Uh, I just happened to talking to a cop on the phone and asked him your question. Laws vary state to state and in WA State it is illegal to keep the neighbors ball. It is called theft. Depending on the cost of the ball, it could be a felony.
btw he is laughing at me Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 07:08 am
Yep, it's a form of theft. The technical term is conversion.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 07:43 am
We had a lady who did that when I was a kid named Mrs. Markey. Nasty old bitch. On Halloween... we took a ladder and hung bottles of ketchup from the second floor windows of her house...(she never heard anything) and I mean all around the house... and then shot the bottles with BB guns. Then we egged the house. The cops came around but couldn't get anything out of us... but my friends parents, and my mom, beat the **** out of us.

It was worth it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 07:58 am
@sparkleblueshine,
Quote:
Is it illegal to keep a neighbor's balls when they accidentally go over the fence?

I'm still doubled over with laughter every time I look at that sentence.

Laughing Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 08:47 am
I have the feeling that there is more to the story than keeping a neighbor's balls. From the post, I can't tell whether you are the neghbor who is keeping the balls, or the one who is letting them go over the fence.

Anyhow, years ago, we had a neighbor who erected a basketball hoop right at the edge of his property, adjacent to ours. Naturally, when the kids missed their shot, the basketball landed in our backyard, the kids running after it.

We were not on good terms with the neighbors, but we found the way out of this. We phoned the buildings department, who said that a basketball hoop had to be placed a number of feet away from the edge of one's property. They sent an inspector, who made the neighbors change the location of the hoop. They relocated it to a place where the balls would not land in our yard. In fact, they were ordered to move a shed, which had been placed smack dab against the fence, an issue of which we had not been concerned. End of problem.

From my experience, I am wondering, if you are the one whose balls are being taken, if the neighbor is more annoyed with people running into the yard retrieving the ball. I f you are on good terms with the neighbors, why don't you have a discussion with them?
0 Replies