Angels trumpet: student cuts off penis and tongue

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:32 pm
Originally reported by the German (Cologne) tabloid "Express":
Quote:
Student cuts off penis and tongue after drinking hallucinogenic tea

A student cut off his own penis and his tongue after drinking an infusion of the latest drugs craze to sweep Germany.

The 18-year-old, only named as Andreas W, from Halle in Germany drank a tea made with the hallucinogenic angels' trumpet plants.

His mother said: "Andreas was behaving normally the whole day until he left the house and disappeared into the garden for a couple of minutes."

When he returned to the house he was wearing a towel wrapped around him and was bleeding heavily from his mouth and between his legs.

The emergency doctor who arrived a few minutes later said the student had cut off his penis and his tongue with garden shears and it was impossible to reattach the organs.

Dr Andreas Marneros, from the local psychiatric hospital the student was admitted to, said: "Andreas will have to receive psychological help for years. Tea from Angels' Trumpets is extremely dangerous as the drug cannot be dosed."

Angels' Trumpets, known for their fragrant and trumpet shaped flowers, have increasingly become popular as an alternative drug in Germany.

www.ananova.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,247 • Replies: 31
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:35 pm
Angel's Trumpet also known as Datura

That is one scary story, the kid's lucky to have survived. I'm guessing he wasn't exactly stable before taking the drug.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
Eh, no, Brugmansia, I think.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
same plant, I believe. It seems to have many names.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/brugmansia/brugmansia.shtml
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
littlek, I wouldn't try it, but ...
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=15278

[This reminds me at the times, when I considered to try the then new drug LSD.
Exactly the very day, when I could get some, I'd read an article about someone, who jumped out of a window when he was high of it. It unfortunately was in the higher section of a skyscraper.
So I stayed on my cheap Lambrusco. :wink: ]
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
Shweet...where can I get some of 'dem drugs? It would be fun to put some in Nana's prune juice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:47 pm
Well, Slappy, you find them here in every second front garden in residential areas Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Yep, I know people who have tried one form or another of the nightshade family
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:57 pm
The correct name is Brugmansia arborea, a.k.a. Datura Brugmansia, Angel's Trumpet. Both the Datura and Brugmansia families contain several species, which may have caused the confusion. Here is some more info:

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/Datura.htm

Slappy can order here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:00 pm
They package this stuff into little injectors and use it as an antidote for nerve gas poisoning. The nerve gas blocks the action of cholinesterase; the antidote blocks the counteracting acetylecholine.

Well heck, somebody could have been interested, and the spellings are more or less phonetic.

Edited to add that the finished and refined product is called atropine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:01 pm
roger, that IS interesting.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:10 pm
And I thought I was crazy for taking ephedra.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:50 pm
Nah. Ephedra's okay, but I wonder if it gives false positives on a drug screen.
0 Replies

Lazarus

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 03:08 pm
Interesting. I was taking ephedra and took a drug test. I showed up positive for PCP. It may have been something else, but I sure as hell wasn't taking any drugs. Does anyone know of anything that can be mistaken for PCP on a drug test?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:25 pm
I would guess the mental stability of this 18 y.o. amputee was questionable even without the drug. It's well known that full blown symptoms of schizophrenia commonly appear around the age of 18. (This is only a guess and speculation of a possibility and is not a diagnosis) It's a clue that his mother thought he had been behaving "normally" all day before he went out to the garden with the shears. It's a very sad story........and I don't know this drug. But the people I know who have done this sort of thing to themselves were schizophrenics. Still, it's a pretty scary drug if it is the cause of this disastrous behavior. God, it makes me cringe. Ouch!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:28 pm
Well, datura certainly can make people a wee bit oddish, to say the least - nobody I know ever did THAT though!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:30 pm
Ephedra will show on drug tests if it's one of the substances they test for...like in the NFL and Olympics, it's an illegal drug. Employee tests, I have no idea, I'd guess it would be ok.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:32 pm
I would guess that the kid was a tad unhinged to begin with as well, and probably had hidden guilt about his sexual activities, and hallucinogens tend to go badly with schizoprenia and/or 'borderline' personalities.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:35 pm
They sure don't make it any better. Sad story.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:35 pm
I would go so far to say, that's just one f%#ked up kid.
0 Replies