Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:44 am
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2021417.ece

The fab boar
By JOHN KAY
Chief Reporter
and GORDON SMART
Bizarre Editor

Published: Today

NEIGHBOURS of Sir Paul McCartney are pig sick because he refuses to cull wild boar on his estate.
They say dozens of the animals, which weigh up to 900lbs, are “wreaking havoc”.

Macca, 66, a vegetarian and animal rights campaigner, will not co-operate with locals who want to control numbers at his 1,500-acre estate in Peasmarsh, East Sussex.

Boar war ... Macca is clashing with locals who want him
to kill wild pigs on his estate

Government policy gives landowners and communities power to cull the animals if they threaten the environment, farming or human safety.

Macca’s neighbours say crops, trees and gardens in the area are suffering because he refuses to act. A source said: “The boar are doing huge damage. They are also dangerous if confronted.

“Locals are up in arms because he won’t allow them to be shot. They are breeding like rabbits and his estate is completely over-run.”

The source added: “Boar are a huge problem for farmers. As with deer, the Government has a policy to allow humane culling but Sir Paul is having none of it.”

West Kent and Sussex has Britain’s largest breeding population of wild boar. The official number is 200, but experts believe it may be 400.

Boar can reach the same weight as a horse and are very quick on their feet.

Professional stalker Stewart Venables, 48, said: “Wild boar can be very dangerous. They will attack people to protect their young. They have tusks and teeth like razors.

“A charging boar could kill someone.

“They really are a big problem in the UK now.”

Last night a spokesman for Sir Paul refused to comment.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,603 • Replies: 6
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:24 pm
Hey cjhsa! You have something nice to say about everyone, don't you? I'll bet people just break into smiles when you enter the room.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
I'll bet people just break into smiles when you enter the room.

Not me. I break out into uncontrollable giggles.
hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:15 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:

Quote:
I'll bet people just break into smiles when you enter the room.

Not me. I break out into uncontrollable giggles.

I'm overcome with flatulence
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 01:29 am
Dangerous? All 200 of them?

And unless he's imported some super-tusker they haven't reverted to 'razorbacks' yet from a domesticated variety. Australia has had wild pigs since the early days of European settlement. The biggest males are usually 100 kgs, an exceptional animal could weigh 260 kgs - that is only 570 pounds. And that would be after running feral for 200 years.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:24 am
Why don't the locals simply wait until the wild boars exit Sir Paul's estate then they can shoot them as they wish?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:25 am
Paul's diet has affected his brain. Either that or maybe his ex-wife smacked him in the head a few times with her leg.
0 Replies