Why are some intellectectuals attracted by esotericism.

fresco

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 01:34 pm
David Bohm, a contemporary of Einstein, believed that life and consciousness are enfolded deep in the generative order and are therefore present in varying degrees of unfoldment in all matter, including supposedly "inanimate" matter such as electrons or plasmas. He suggests that there is a "protointelligence" in matter, so that new evolutionary developments do not emerge in a random fashion but creatively as relatively integrated wholes from implicate levels of reality. The mystical connotations of Bohm's ideas are underlined by his remark that the implicate domain "could equally well be called Idealism, Spirit, Consciousness. The separation of the two -- matter and spirit -- is an abstraction. The ground is always one. (Quoted in Michael Talbot, The Holographic Universe) .

Bohm is just one example of a reknowned scientist with "esoteric leanings". We might even cite Newton as another who spent at least as much time on alchemy as he did on physics. So what turns an ostensibly "rational" mind to such controversial areas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 748 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 01:53 pm
@fresco,
Not sure about Bohm. but when you go all the way back to Sir Isaac Newton, that's easy enough. People of his generation -- and even more so of preceding generations -- no doubt started with alchemy and astrology as their fields of study. What was "esoteric" was turning astrology into the genuine science of astronomy and discovering some unexpected results from their dabblings in alchemy, which, in turn, led to the development of modern chemistry.

People like Copernicus, Kepler, Tycho Brahe and Galileo were astrologers first. They became reluctant astronomers and physicists (and some, like Galileo got into serious trouble because they wouldn't accept anything a priori but insisted on verification of observable facts). Newton was a direct inheritor of the traditions these earlier practicioners of what was then called "natural philosophy" had established. In Newton's own time, what was "esoteric" about his thinking was his outlandish notion of the theory of gravity and related matters. His contemporaries would not have seen anything esoteric in his attempts to transmute base matter into gold or to discover the philosopher's stone.

How does this relate to your original question? Perhaps Bohm and others of his ilk are merely thinking in new tracks. To them, their thoughts on matters that seem to veer away from physics and into the metaphysical may not seem esoteric at all. Dare I say, new directions for a new era? (We are in one, you know.)
Letty

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:29 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Welcome back, fresco.

M.A. What do you mean by Newton's outlandish theory of gravity?
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:39 pm
@Letty,
Hi, Letty. What I mean is that that's the part his contemporaries would've considered esoteric or "outlandish", if you will, not his interest in alchemy. The adjective "outlandish" was a poor attempt at irony.

Btw, Fresco, speaking of Bohm, some in the so-called "Green" movement have embraced bits and pieces of his thinking and I've even read where a few green intellectuals or pseudo-intellectuals are debating whether the planet Earth is actually a living entity and whether all surface "life" (read: homo sapiens) isn't really of the nature of parasites. In this scenario, of course, hurricanes and other natural disasters would just be examples of Mother Nature scratching her parasite-infested head. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 02:46 pm
@fresco,
I don't think people with rational minds are less likely to be creative and adventurous with their thinking (many of the best Sci-Fi writers are professional scientists). But I do think that productive testable science is more attractive and rewarding than speculative pursuits which aren't testable with standard science.

0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:44 am
welcome back my old friend.

seems to me Bohm is describing a form of Emergence or the Theory of Levels, to which both Ken Wilbur and I probscribe,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Bohm is simply describing the property at a particular level, self awareness, while a guy like Wilbur takes the "unfolding" to what might lay beyond it.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:32 am
Thankyou all for those thoughtful responses.

It seems to me that what we normally call "rationality" is firmly enmeshed with "logicality" . However if we scrutinise traditional logic itself we find there are epistemological and ontological assumptions made about its axioms based on static set membership which are counter-intuitive to the dynamics of existence. It may be that a degree of such “unease” motivates some thinkers to seek “metalogical systems” which are insightful of this problem.

The epitome of such thinking might well be captured by Bohr’s celebrated statement:….“The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth..”… It is certainly the case that Bohm sought to resolve Bohr’s picture of an “uncertain” universe, but the question remains as to whether he achieved a tenable “transcendent” position or whether he merely yearned for “certainty” at any price.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:39 am
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
M.A. What do you mean by Newton's outlandish theory of gravity?

Newton's theory was considered outlandish at the time. Action at a distance? Everything in the Universe acting on everything else simultaneously? Absurd!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:45 am
@fresco,
How is this different from monadism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monadology

Quote:
What is a monad?

Leibniz, who first uses the term "monad" in 1696, ties almost all ancient and early modern meanings of "monad" together in his metaphysical hypothesis of infinitely many simple substances (monads). Monads are everywhere in matter and are either noticeably active (awake), when they form the central or governing monad, which is the center of activity and of perception within an organism, or they are only weakly active (sleeping), when they belong to the countless subordinate monads within or outside of an organic body. Monads are the sources of any spontaneous action not explainable in mechanical terms. They constitute the unity of any individual. All monads are living mirrors representing the whole universe
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:48 pm
DrewDad,
As far as I know Bohm advocated wholism over division. Even though "monads" might eliminate the dichotomy of the physical and the mental, their description of being diverse in number seems to go against Bohm's idea that "the whole" is always present in "the parts". Perhaps Bohm is closer to Spinoza's view that there is only one existent entity (which some might call "God").
0 Replies