Professional sports: boon or bust?

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:20 am
I'm not a sports fan so the fact that two pieces mentioning sports caught my attention on the same day is pretty interesting.

One was from an article on Dean Kamen in this month's issue of Esquire:

Quote:
....Item number two is a benefit for FIRST, the robotics competition Kamen started in 1992. This is even more important because you get what you celebrate in a free market and America builds monuments to the things it values and unfortunately most of those monuments are giant sports arenas, which don't contribute anything to the future. Why waste so much time on bounce-bounce-throw when FIRST can turn aimless kids into the engineers of the future?

So he had to form an organization that would change the culture of the entire country and make all the kids in America understand that science and engineering really are cool and fun and if they don't study hard, they're going to end up dumb. He had to make the whole country see what he saw -- that if some foreign power came into this country to pervert our kids from doing the things that sustain our quality of life the way sports does, we would find them and prove that they were treasonously undermining our way of life and kill them......(emphaisi mine)

The other was a letter to the editor of my daily newspaper (any typos my fault):

Quote:
Headlines' Career Advice

Can headlines from Friday's paper be used in a teaching moment?

Front page: "CEOs plead, but senators skeptical."

Metro: "With no snow, resort workers don't get paid."

Business: "PERS fund tumbles with the economy."

Sports: "UO's Kellly to get $7 million."

The lesson: Mamas, make sure your babies grow up to be offensive coordinators.

I started thinking that sports really do account for a big chunk of our economy but they really don't contribute much to our culture.

Do sports undermine or aid our culture?

What do you think?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,125 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:35 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Do sports undermine or aid our culture?

Aid, w/o a doubt. I'll post more about why later.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:49 pm
@boomerang,
I don't know that sports aid our culture, but i have no doubt from my reading of history that professional sports have been with us for literally thousands of years, and that people care passionately about them. I don't know that any particular social activity which cannot be positively identified as harmful to the society should be curtailed because it doesn't aid culture.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 01:29 pm
Professional sports is here to stay no matter what the economic situation; it's probably because many sports fans live their lives by the sport of their choice.

I've been to a mid-west college football game in Nebraska some years ago where you can see the traffic headed towards Lincoln in droves. Once there, the pregame parties were all over the city, and once inside the stadium, all one can see is a flood of red.

Pro-sports season tickets are very expensive, but many still pay those high prices at the expense of many other necessary things for home and family.

That will not change even during this economic crisis.

Average price of a season ticket in 2007 was $71.36. (Wiki)
0 Replies