Brisbane Islamic college reviews national anthem ban

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:33 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Thanks, Deb. I have been well & truly out of the loop, not following much in the media, recently. Too busy.

But it sounds a pretty silly "issue" to get hot under the collar about to me. Neutral

I was out bush, so watched a couple of morning shows in motels while I was dressing, so got to see popular media at work.

This stuff was soundly ridiculed, and comments were made about how come, while teachers were overwhelmed, some bureaucrats had time to dream up more drivel telling teachers how to teach.
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:40 pm
@dlowan,
You know, I read The Age everyday, or at least browse through it, if I'm really flat out ... but this doesn't appear to have neen much of an issue at all, here (in Victoria).

... much more interested in what "the education revolution" Rolling Eyes is actually about ... & what's Julia has in store with the new national curriculum guidelines.
I fear a stuff-up.
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:44 pm
@msolga,
You posted about that somewhere else, didn't you?

Has the content/intent become clearer?
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:48 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
NOBODY oughta do girt in a song.

... & folk shouldn't be expected to keep a straight face when girt is sung with great solemnity! Laughing

I have never, since tha age of 8, when I became an anti-monarchist and anti-nationalist (true!!!!.....I refused to stand for the national anthem and such....I was actually more or less assaulted on one occasion by one of my mother's friends....she grabbed me and hit me and dragged me forcibly to my feet...this is back in the days when you stood up for God Save the Queen in cinemas and such...I was at the races...my mother, who agreed with me, stood by and did nothing...) kept a straight face when any national anthem is played, unless something awful just happened to the country in question. All anthii are crap, I think...except mebbe Nkosi sikelele Afrika....
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:52 pm
@dlowan,
The details have not yet been revealed, Deb! Actually next to nothing has been revealed! Confused

But it looks very much a "one size fits all" deal, curriculum wise. Trouble is, one size doesn't ....

She seems to have an obsession with testing & "league ladders" (as in the US) , to compare the "success" of different schools. Looks like a bit of a stuff up to me, frankly ....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:56 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I refused to stand for the national anthem and such....I was actually more or less assaulted on one occasion by one of my mother's friends....she grabbed me and hit me and dragged me forcibly to my feet ....

Shocked

Quote:
... at the races

Razz
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:07 am
As it's not mentioned, I just thought I'd post that the school banned the national anthem after the school moved it's assembly to Friday (Islamic holy day), and (if I remember the quote from the school memo right) the national anthem was deemed to be against the Islamic ethos (that exact word was used in the memo).

Also, the decision by the Islamic school to ban the national anthem has been reversed (a couple of days ago, and I can't be bothered finding the article).

As for the post commenting on the use of red pen to mark students work, that was in an Education Qld 'suggestion kit' that never made it to the schools. Rather dumb if you ask me.

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:23 am
@vikorr,
(Hi vikorr. Good to see you again! Smile)

I've often wonder edabout this "ethos" thing. As in: jobs advertised as "suitable to teachers supportive of the Catholic ethos". It appears to be code for: "You'd better do it our way, or forget the job!".

I'm not remotely happy that government funding is provided for such schools given that they are clearly not inclusive. Hell, the Oz government even gives funds Exclusive Brethren schools!

As for the school under question in this thread, I can't comment as yet. Might do a bit of Googling, if I have the time, to see if I can find out more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:41 am
On page 3 of The Australian, weekend edition (6./7.12.08):

http://i38.tinypic.com/2rxwun9.jpg

School chaplains 'worked miracles'

Islamic college denies assembly anthem ban
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter! (Oz information via Germany! Wink )

"School chaplains 'worked miracles'

Aghhhhh! A little J Howard legacy (federal money for chaplains in Oz government schools, because we lack "values"!) we must now deal with!

Aghhhhhh!

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:02 am
Aggghhhhhhhhhh! #2!:

So I wonder what the deal is with the sacked teacher then?

Islamic college denies assembly anthem ban
December 06, 2008
The Australian

A BRISBANE Islamic school has denied it banned students from singing the national anthem at assemblies.

Australian International Islamic College, in Durack in Brisbane's west, reportedly issued an edict that the singing of the national anthem should be "put on hold" because of the "Islamic view and ethos".

According to The Courier-Mail, a memo to teachers, reportedly from school principal Azroul Liza Khalid, said: "We will not have the national anthem sang on tomorrow's assembly ... after taking into account other aspects especially on Islamic view and ethos, the singing of the anthem will be put on hold."

School trustee Keysar Trad, founder of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia, said the decision was made "unilaterally" by the principal and had not been put before the full school board. He said that if the decision had been put before the board, it would have been overturned. "(The anthem) is part of our national identity ... and it reflects universal values," Mr Trad said.

Ms Khalid, who was recruited from Malaysia this year, was not at the school yesterday, according to a spokeswoman. Mr Trad said it was Ms Khalid's last day at the school and she had called in sick.

~
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:02 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

"School chaplains 'worked miracles'

I liked that article Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:07 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

So I wonder what the deal is with the sacked teacher then?

Some more recent report from the Brisbane Times - but no answer to your question.
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I liked that article Wink

Yeah, but you don't work in Oz public education & have to watch (far too little) education funding squandered in such ridiculous, outrageous ways! Evil or Very Mad

Wink Nothing personal, Walter! Just shooting the messenger!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
An Islamic School in Brisbane's west that has copped a battering over an alleged decision to ban the singing of Advance Australia Fair aif is not different to any other school in Queensland, a teacher there insists.

''You walk into the classrooms and there are Australian values posted on the walls and you're thinking 'this is like any other school','' supply teacher Nadeem Khokhar said.

''I work in the Islamic School and I work in Goodna at a state school and there's not much difference.

The difference is that playing the national anthen is not an issue in most (any?) Oz public schools. Including the one I've worked in for the past couple of years, which has an overwhelmingly Turkish-Australian student population. Which has fine, inclusive values, BTW.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Some more recent report from the Brisbane Times - but no answer to your question.

No.

Something's a bit fishy here, I suspect.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:21 am
@msolga,
Hi Msgola,

I didn't drop in for a while because when the site shifted formats, it was a truly horrible layout that was ridiculously difficult to navigate. They've mostly fixed the problems now, so you'll likely see a bit more of me Smile
dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:22 am
@vikorr,
You weren't speaking to me, but that's good anyway!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:24 am
@vikorr,
Excellent, vikorr! Smile
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 05:59 pm
I think the media has hi-jacked the main point of the original story. I personally don't care if any school does or does not sing the national anthem. The original point was that a teacher was SACKED for just suggesting it be sung.
Quote:
A BRISBANE school that banned the national anthem at assemblies says it will review the policy and that it loves the values embodied in the song.

The review comes after The Courier-Mail revealed the school had banned the national anthem at assemblies and sacked the teacher who asked for it to be played.

If this is the case, this is what the "unfair dismissal" laws were for. (you know, the ones little johnny squashed)