Brisbane Islamic college reviews national anthem ban

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:54 pm
What next ?

Quote:
The Courier-Mail today revealed Australian International Islamic College teacher Pravin Chand was sacked in November, four months after his proposal for students to sing Advance Australia Fair was ruled to be against the "Islamic view and ethos".

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24753104-952,00.html

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,170 • Replies: 40
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:02 am
@Deckland,
Sounds a bit bizarre to me. I suspect that there's more to this story than is being reported by the couriermail.

roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:35 am
@msolga,
Oh, I don't know. I'm not much on anthems, pledges of allegiance, and public prayer. You needn't doubt my loyalty because of that. Is Australia going the jingoistic route, now?
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:49 am
@roger,
Well I don't know what the story is at this particular Islamic school, roger. But I can tell you that the national anthem is played only at very "official" occasions in most Victorian (Oz state where I live & work) state schools these days. As for a pledges or an "oath of allegiance" .... it doesn't happen.
I have no idea about what's going on in this Islamic school in Queensland. As I said: sounds rather bizarre & I suspect that there's more to the story than is being reported.
roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:01 am
@msolga,
There usually is, now that you mention it.
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:12 am
@roger,
Perhaps Deckland can enlighten us?
Deckland

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:23 am
@msolga,
I don't know anything more than what was published, but sacking
a teacher for a proposal to sing the National Anthem
seems a bit extreme. His version of events were reported
to be backed by another teacher.

Oh msolga, do you use a RED PEN for marking ?

Quote:
In a controversial suite of tips that has divided psychologists, a Queensland Health kit tells teachers to use blue or black pens to mark assignments because red is considered too confrontational.

Story here ...
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24745075-952,00.html<br />
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:44 am
@Deckland,
Quote:
Oh msolga, do you use a RED PEN for marking ?

I'm sorry, Deckland, I really don't know what you're on about here.
But no I don't.
What does how I assess childrens' work have to do with this particular issue? Confused

Please enlighten me.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:45 am
@Deckland,
Quote:
I don't know anything more than what was published, but sacking
a teacher for a proposal to sing the National Anthem
seems a bit extreme. His version of events were reported
to be backed by another teacher.

Perhaps you need to find out a bit more?
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:02 am
@msolga,
Deckland

I think that you might be making some incorrect assumptions about my comments to this thread.

Just let me say this: I am a very strong supporter of public education in our country. (Which is under assault, as you might know.) I am completely unsupportive of government funding to "fringe" schools (of whatever variety - including religious) that are not supportive of the democratic principles held by the broad community. Nor do a number of them stand up to scrutiny from a purely education perspective. Unfortunately the number of such "fringe" schools has increased under very lax (in my opinion) government funding provisions ... to the disadvantage of government (state/public) schools.

I would simply like to know where you're coming from by introducing this topic to this forum. Do you have some criticism regarding the philosophy/practices of this particular school? Some objection to the form of education to the students there? The way that staff is treated? What exactly are your concerns?

The "national anthem issue" within this school could mean any number of things. What do you understand the issue/s to be? It's not clear from your post, nor from the article you posted. And it does, to me, sound rather bizarre for sackings to occur over this issue. You need to provide more information. Otherwise some posters could respond on a purely racist basis.

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:55 am
@Deckland,

Quite lovely actually. Like some fool, I always thought your ANthem was "Waltzing Matilda" wherein I could see the tenets of Islam were not being technically followed. Islam has the main philosophy of advancing good and destroying evil, so stealing "Jumbucks" was not something that theyd want to foster, IMHO.

I was therefore, a bit flummoxed to hear "Advance AUstralia FAir" , which extolls the beauty of the land , rather than being some warlike anthem like the "Ballad of the Battle of Fort Henry", wasnt even a battle.

If you had some stupid Militaristic ANthem like ours, Id understand getting sacked , even for "waltzing..."

dadpad

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 09:46 am
Islam doesn't do "girt"
Deckland

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:38 pm
@msolga,
As I said before msolga, I can only comment on what was published
in a newspaper and I included the url for the article.
Apart from that, there is no way I could find out more.
I was not suggesting that the National Anthem should be played.
My concern was for the reported sacking of a teacher over
what appeared to be a trivial matter.
With regards to the RED PEN , I wondered if you had any comment
on the article about same. (url supplied).
Oh and your concern that some posters might respond on a "purely racist basis",
is surely unfounded as there was no mention of race or racism.
However,I did note your italics on the word "racist". Was there a point to that ?
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:52 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Islam doesn't do "girt"

NOBODY oughta do girt in a song.

Anthii suck at the best of times.
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:33 pm
@farmerman,
You'll be surprised to hear, farmer, that quite a number of Australians are not too chuffed with the choice of Advance Australia Fair as our national anthem. (It is a wee bit nauseating, with outdated sentiments to some.) However it was a BIG improvement on God Save the Queen! Every now & then we have an outbreak folk wanting to change it to something more appropriate to Oz in the 21st century. But then again, there are folk who have never recovered from losing God Save the Queen! Despite all the evidence that England ditched us long ago & we are now clearly a very multicultural country! I guess you can't please everyone.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:38 pm
@Deckland,
Deckland

There are some in this forum who will use any excuse for a good ol Muslim bash, no matter what the "issue".

There are others who do the same with anything to do with Jews. Sigh.

I was seeking clarity on what your concerns were.

I will check out the Red Pen url. I didn't see it before, sorry.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:41 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
NOBODY oughta do girt in a song.

... & folk shouldn't be expected to keep a straight face when girt is sung with great solemnity! Laughing
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:49 pm
@Deckland,
Sorry, Deckland, I received a "page not found" response to the "Red Pen" link.

But me, I generally use a greylead pencil for comments or corrections, so students can remove them later on, if they so choose. Been doing that for years. You never know, some might actually want to keep their efforts.
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:15 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Sorry, Deckland, I received a "page not found" response to the "Red Pen" link.

But me, I generally use a greylead pencil for comments or corrections, so students can remove them later on, if they so choose. Been doing that for years. You never know, some might actually want to keep their efforts.

It's been all over the media.

Some high-ups in your education department have come out with a bunch of guidelines for teachers.

They include not marking work with a red pen because it's "too aggressive">

Marking should be done with blue or black pen.

This story has caused mass national sneeragement.
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:21 pm
@dlowan,
Thanks, Deb. I have been well & truly out of the loop, not following much in the media, recently. Too busy.

But it sounds a pretty silly "issue" to get hot under the collar about to me. Neutral