also is 5 foot 7 short or tall?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 02:12 pm
@timur,
From past history, they have gotten taller. How can it be "otherwise, if I've seen it in my own children and my siblings children grow taller.

What's the difference if percentage-wise they're not keeping up with other countries?

You're the one who's missing the "point."

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 02:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
BTW, I'm also taller than my father.
timur

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 02:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So do I, but this trend began only fifteen to ten years ago..
Goldburst

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 02:02 am
@timur,
Apologies for the bump folks, but I came across this thread and felt I needed to make my point:

- http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_11/sr11_249.pdf (from 1988-1994, page 16)
- http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_11/sr11_252.pdf (from 2010, page 16)

So much for a 'decrease' in height. Although I will say our average height has pretty much stabilized, but I honestly think immigration has more of an effect on the 'still' average height (to show how significant Hispanic and Asian immigrants have become in this country: http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/report/2013/04/03/59040/the-facts-on-immigration-today-3/), though many European countries have much better diets than ours, so that can be part of why they 'outgrew' US. However, even if a lot of people make the wrong diet choices in America (hence the obesity rates), several more take advantage of the nutritious and medical advancements of the past few decades. Our overall standard of living is still well above average (even if not as good as some of the European countries), or at least well enough to not make us 'shrink'. Besides, if our current standard of living is making us 'shrink', then it makes you wonder why countries like the Philippines or even Mexico haven't had their average heights dip below 5 feet yet.

Also, that link you put up before simply showed that other countries are getting taller than Americans (like many other articles that claim America's 'shrinking' say). And it also says that Americans aged 20-24 are the same height as Americans 45-49, so again, from the links I posted at the beginning of this post to that linked article of yours, why are you saying American kids are shrinking? And why is it whenever someone claims that "Facts prove the average height is decreasing", THAT person NEVER posts ACTUAL statistics directly proving that very point (and again, that link you posted timur proved that Americans have more or less stabilized in height compared to other countries). To be honest, I think we will still get taller, but not significantly so. Maybe a 0.1 inch increase per decade (2020's overall male average will be 69.4 inches, 2030's average will be 69.5 inches, for example), and even that theory is leaning pessimistically.
0 Replies

c Camille villaverde

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is not true. My uncle is 6 feet tall, and he is Mexican American. I'm 5 foot 7 myself. Not all Mexicans are short. Or overweight.
0 Replies

c Camille villaverde

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 06:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not all Mexicans are short. My uncle is Mexican American as am I , and he is 6 foot 1. I am 5" 8. Also not all Mexicans are over weight.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 06:59 pm
@c Camille villaverde,
Quote:
This is not true. My uncle is 6 feet tall, and he is Mexican American. I'm 5 foot 7 myself. Not all Mexicans are short. Or overweight.

c Camille villaverde wrote:

Not all Mexicans are short. My uncle is Mexican American as am I , and he is 6 foot 1. I am 5" 8. Also not all Mexicans are over weight.

are you growing?
0 Replies

Calvin Song

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 08:32 am
@Intrepid,
Iam 11 and iam 5 foot 7 inches
0 Replies