Letty

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:26 pm
@mismi,
Mother Teresa

http://sreeenivasulu.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/motherteresa1.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:39 pm
@Letty,
Absolutely Mother Teresa. You might not like her religious views or her politics--she was 100% non partisan and everybody got tweaked. But one of my worst fears would be to be standing in line at the pearly gates and hear St. Peter tell HER that she didn't do enough to get in. Smile
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:13 pm
George Washington, determined leader of America's successful Revolutionary War of Independence.

Thomas Edison, first to invent the electric light bulb after more than 100 failures.

Martin Luther KIng, a dedicated leader of the civil rights movement.

Orville and Wilbur Wright, first to build and fly a powered aircraft.

Rudyard Kipling, author of "IF."

Edward Guest, author of "Can't is the worst word that's written or spoken. ... And answer this demon by saying: 'I can.'"

Chuck Yaeger, first American pilot to brreak the sound barrier.

Clarence Thomas, first conservative negro Justice of the Supreme Court.

Thomas Sowell, author of Basic Economics A Common Sense Guide to the Economy Third Edition.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:16 pm
Many names I would nominate are already on here. My first thoughts were of Martin Luther King and Jimmy Carter. I want to add Danny Kaye, Paul Newman and Harry Belafonte.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:17 pm
And Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong.
mismi

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Thomas Sowell, author of Basic Economics A Common Sense Guide to the Economy Third Edition.

LOVE Thomas Sowell...good one.

Oh yes Edgar - musicians definitely - those two especially

Harry Connick, Jr. really helped there in New Orleans after Katrina...love his music too
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:14 pm
I don't think anyone has mentioned our president-elect. I am hoping that just by 'being', he will encourage people to strive, persevere, take the high road, study hard, shoot for the stars, help your community, fess up to your mistakes, be sincere, and the list goes on and on. He has shown himself to be a fine individual and I am most encouraged by him. I especially hope that our young people can look at him and envision their own aspirations and realize that it really is cool to read. It's cool to be smart and to study and strive for good grades. It's actually cool to be like the President and follow in his footsteps. Wouldn't that be totally cool? And he wouldn't have to do anything. He's already done it by doing the impossible and getting himself elected to the highest office in the land.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:23 pm
Henry Fonda, Sidney Poiter, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:38 pm
Malcolm X--for opening his heart to see things differently and saying so bravely

Robert F. Kennedy--for caring about the poor before it was fashionable

Angelina Jolie--for using her celebrity and money to help the forgotten

Bono--for the same thing

Vincent Van Gogh--for expressing passion his way no matter what the bastards said

Cav--You know why

more later

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
And from the unsung heroes category, I would like to nominate:
http://images.43things.com/entry/471157pw112.jpg
Oseola McCarty

Born in Mississippi in 1908, Oseola spent most of her life in segregation. She had no more than a sixth grade education and for 78 years until 1994 she washed and ironed other people's clothes. She never married, never had children, never drove a car, never traveled more than 50 miles from her home. But she saved every penny she could all that time for a purpose that only she knew.

In 1995 she donated all the money she had saved - $150,000 - to the University of Southern Mississippi to be used as a scholarship fund for those who otherwise could not go to college.

There are thousands of Oseola's out there that we may never know about. But they make the world a better place. I'm happy to be sure some new folks have a chance to know about her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:51 pm
Ben Franklin, H D Thoreau, Phillip Wylie, Bertrand Russell, certain a2k members I shan't name, a Navy buddy of mine named Walt _____, a lady that lived in the apartments a few years ago, Karma _____, Alan Alda, Joseph Heller.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:54 pm
And also from the unsung heroes category I would like to nominate:
http://images.43things.com/entry/468610pw150.jpg
Julia Morgan
In a field that was exclusively male in the late 1800's, Julia studied architecture in France and then, as a native of the Bay area facing multiple obstacles and much opposition, she had the courage to challenge and finally crash through the glass ceiling in the United States. Her greatest claim to fame was the design of the Hearst Castle which remains a national treasure to this day.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/legacy/images/castle/wide_angle_casa_grande.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:37 pm
Franklin D and Eleanor Roosevelt
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:15 pm
Lord Ellpus - for making me not forget.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:49 pm
Brenden Foster

'I had a great time'

RIP lil' guy.
eoe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:59 pm
That brave little boy was a gift to the world. If he could be so giving, what's stopping the rest of us?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:14 pm
Jason McElwain

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:27 pm
Aron Ralston -- the hiker who cut off his own trapped arm to live.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'll second Julia Morgan..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh, my.