Is there a restriction on hair length in the NFL?

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:57 am
Is there a restriction on hair length in the NFL? I notice that several players have long dreadlocks & braids cascading out of the back of their helmet & down past their shoulders. If there isn't a restriction, it seems like it would be tempting for a player to grab hold for a tackle or even just in an attempt to slow them down! The braids may be too thick to tuck under the helmet like some sort of shower cap. Just curious!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,762 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 12:04 pm
@shyblonde,
There's no NFL restriction.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
Should hair pulling be considered a Holding?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 12:06 pm
Had to love it the other day when one of the O-line of the Patriots knocked the helmet off of one of those dreadlocked D-linemen and proceeded to grab the guy's hair and pound the **** out of his face with his free hand.

And they call it the No Fun League.....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 03:47 pm
@Ragman,
i think they put in a rule this year that the name on the back of the jersey must be visible...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:10 pm
I've been wondering this same thing myself. If you reach for a runner and his hair gets in the way, you're called on holding, I guess. Like a facemask call. But with all of these cascading locks, how can you avoid it?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:08 pm
@eoe,
I have seen a play (I think it was the Steelers) where a guy was tackled by his dreads...

ruled part of the uniform and legal.

I think this is why we don't see a lot of offensive skill players with that do...
mismi

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:10 pm
@Rockhead,
If they ruled that as part of the uniform I can guarantee you I would be getting those babies cut short toot sweet.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:00 pm
I think most of them can tuck their braids and dreds inside their helmets. They just like to let them flow. Same with the Polynesian running back (?) with all of that thick, curly stuff. It's falling past his shoulders, down his back and ends damn near at his waist. Crazy.
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 07:09 pm
@eoe,
Just curious, but why is it crazy? They take their own risk. Also, if the player is on defense, no one is coming from behind him. One defensive player with one of those 'do's' this weekend said it only has been a problem 2x in all his football days. On offense, well, it's a bit iffy, but it's not like he puts his team at risk in any way.

The Samoan player is named Troy Palamalu...one of the best players in the league.
0 Replies