Teen turns in $10,000 he found at Federal Way store; what would you have done?

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 09:58 am
Teen turns in $10,000 he found at Federal Way store
STEVE MAYNARD; [email protected]
November 27th, 2008

AMA 17-year-old grocery bagger was ready to wash his hands in the bathroom at the Federal Way supermarket where he works when he saw a brown canvas money bag on the floor.

Moisei Baraniuc was curious. He opened it and saw envelopes filled with money " “a pretty thick stack.”

Thick enough to add up to $10,000.

Stuffed with 50- and hundred-dollar bills, the bag contained the life savings of a Vancouver, Wash., man who accidentally left it in the men’s bathroom at Top Food & Drug on Nov. 13.

Baraniuc, a senior at Todd Beamer High School in Federal Way, didn’t know the whole story at the time. He just put the bag on the counter and washed his hands while he thought.

“The first thing that went through my mind was keeping it,” he said.

And then the Ukrainian immigrant remembered what his father, Vitalie Baraniuc, always says at dinner at the family’s home in Pacific.

“My dad is always telling us in this life you’ve got to work for yourself,” said Baraniuc, who goes by the nickname Moses. “If you take what doesn’t belong to you, it will catch up to you.”

Instead what caught up with him was the man who lost the money, Fred W. Smith, who paid a grateful visit to the supermarket Wednesday evening.

The night he found the money bag, Baraniuc turned it over to his boss, Suanne Schafer.

Schafer took the bag to a secure area with another store worker, who then counted the money.

They were shaken up by the $10,000 amount " 85 hundred-dollar bills and 30 50-dollar bills.

“Besides being really, really shocked, I had an overwhelming sense of pride for Moses for doing the right thing,” said Schafer, the store’s guest services manager.

“You always hope that people would do the right thing,” she said. “He didn’t even think twice.”

Federal Way police are also praising Baraniuc.

“That was great,” said Cmdr. Stan McCall. “I think that’s very honest and shows a great deal of integrity.”

Baraniuc works 15 hours a week after school to pay for gas and other expenses. He earns minimum wage.

He went to the bathroom to wash his hands around 6:30 p.m. after sweeping the store’s floor.

Baraniuc said he and his family came to the United States five years ago with $300.

He teaches 10-year-olds in Sunday school at First Ukrainian Baptist Church in the Federal Way area. That’s another reason he knew he had to return the money.

“I can’t be teaching little kids not to do it if I’m doing it,” he said.

After he gave Schafer the money, she called 911 and talked to a disbelieving dispatcher.

Ten minutes later, a Federal Way police officer arrived at the store at 31515 20th Ave. S.

The amazed officer counted the money and put the bills back into the bag.

A couple of hours after Baraniuc found the money bag, a man called the store and said he had left it, Schafer said.

Smith later told police the money was his life savings that he usually keeps at home. Smith told police he was carrying it with him because he was moving. He described the bag, where he left it and the scribbled money totals on the envelopes.

Police kept the cash and checked if the store’s video surveillance confirmed that Smith was in the store.

But the video was shot from too far away to identify him.

Smith then produced a store receipt showing he bought a pumpkin torte and a few other items that day at the store. He also got $5 back in cash.

Police were satisfied. They returned the money to him Nov. 20.

Smith couldn’t be reached to comment for this story. But Baraniuc said that Smith walked into the store looking for him at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The man thanked the teen for returning the money and took down his address.

“I’ll send you a little reward,” Smith told him.

Baraniuc said he’s happy with how he handled the situation.

“Right now I have everything I need,” he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 2,622 • Replies: 22
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:15 am
As most, I would be very tempted to keep it but then I'd think about who might have left it and how horrified they must be and how overjoyed they will be to have it returned and, karma would come into play and "do unto others" and...I'd turn it in.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:35 am
"Our pledge to do what is right is always in a tug of war with our greed".

Today, Id return the money because its a relatively minor amount. Ask me what Id do if I found 5 million.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:37 am
@farmerman,
What would you do, Farmerman, if you had found five million?

As a teenager? An an man your current age?

BBB

Photo of young man:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/front/topstories/v-enlarge_photo/story/550696-a550695-t3.html
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:44 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
s a teen Id probably have kept it. At my age, I recognize that 5 mil has owners that maybe dont deal in legal pursuits.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:53 am
I would be greatly conflicted, but would in the end turn it in.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:59 am
@eoe,
Quote:
As most, I would be very tempted to keep it but then I'd think about who might have left it and how horrified they must be and how overjoyed they will be to have it returned and, karma would come into play and "do unto others" and...I'd turn it in.

Nine ways out of ten this was drug money and the guy should have kept it. The guy might have wanted to devise some test like advertising finding the bag without mentioning what was in it, but it's not clear how that could be done without putting himself in danger should the owners indeed be drug dealers. You can be nearly certain that if you handed it over to cops, the cops would end up keeping it.

I mean, at least, that would be the usual reality of it. This particular story appears to have had a happy ending.

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:16 pm
@gungasnake,
Just cause it was cash is not a giveaway, especially since it was 10K. Banks dont even do checks on cash deposits until the amount is greater than 10 k.
THere are many people (prospectors were and are famous for this) that only deal in cash and keep large amounts on them.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:19 pm
@farmerman,
I've been forced to travel with considerably more than 10k in cash (legit), and know people who carry that amount or more all the time for business reasons.

it really is not that great an amount anymore...

(till ya lose it)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 01:21 pm
I'm not going to lie, I'd most likely keep it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 01:27 pm
I'd give it back. To keep it would generate bad luck for me.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
I would do the right thing and turn the money in.

This past year at 2 different stores, I found money and did turn it in. The money was in the hundreds, not thousands. I am sure the people who lost it would be happy to get it back. I don't know if they ever returned and asked because I never left my name with the store's managers.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 02:52 pm
I would turn it in, though I would hope that it was drug money and that I would get the money in the end if it went unclaimed. This used to be common, though I believe that the laws have been changed and the authorities now usually keep unclaimed money and property for themselves.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 03:58 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I would have kept the money without hesitation. Even if I knew it belonged to a blind nun.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:03 pm
I would keep it but immediately set aside 30% of it for my quarterly extimated taxes and of course report the income, as a good citizen.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:02 pm
I found $5.00 today, and kept it. Wink Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:21 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This all sounds sort of apochraphal,

I would turn the money in, it wasn't mine. Doing that might give me grief though, since I live at a money edge.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:54 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Stuffed with 50- and hundred-dollar bills, the bag contained the life savings of a Vancouver, Wash., man who accidentally left it in the men’s bathroom at Top Food & Drug on Nov. 13.

Baraniuc, a senior at Todd Beamer High School in Federal Way, didn’t know the whole story at the time. He just put the bag on the counter and washed his hands while he thought.

“The first thing that went through my mind was keeping it,” he said.

And then the Ukrainian immigrant remembered what his father, Vitalie Baraniuc, always says at dinner at the family’s home in Pacific.

“My dad is always telling us in this life you’ve got to work for yourself,” said Baraniuc, who goes by the nickname Moses. “If you take what doesn’t belong to you, it will catch up to you.”

Why am I not at all surprised that this fine, upstanding lad is of Ukrainian ancestry? What a wonderful boy! Moisei, you're a credit to your dad & to all us fine, upstanding Ukrainians, the world over! Wink

But Todd Beamer High School? Rather unusual name to call a school! Laughing

( Where oh where is Sturgis when we need him? He & I could have loads of fun bickering about the relative merits of Ukrainians (& Poles!) for hours!)

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:56 pm
@msolga,
id keep it.

at least im not a liar..

damnit. but then id start thinking **** if i lost it..
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:58 pm
@OGIONIK,
yeah, id keep it.

that would set me up for the rest of my life.

damnit. i hate myself sometimes..
0 Replies