Question on new A2K design and collapsing/searching threads

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:57 pm
Ok Robert or Craven or Nick....

I've collapsed probably a thousand threads since your change, well over 70% of them. Most of them I'm collapsing because I don't have any interest in reading them right now.....but,

What if I need to know something about a water softener a year from now? If I do a search all I'm going to see are my collapsed threads right? Is there a way to 'uncollapse' threads when doing a search?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:53 pm
@maporsche,
I don't think so but you could look under logical tags for same (e. g. water softening, water softener, etc., stuff like that) and then peek at anything you've collapsed. Then vote back if you're interested. I believe if you respond it's an automatic vote-up.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:08 pm
@jespah,
I'm not sure about that, Jes, as I sometimes double check, rethinking my choices.

Not sure I'm typical. Some time early on I seemed to notice that my thumbs down didn't always take unless I refreshed, so now I refresh after all of them, as in, 1-2, buckle my shoe. (Maybe everyone else doesn't do that.)

What I do notice, in my own patterns, is that if I decide to look once more, after having thumbed down/refreshed... I can see it and re-decide, but if I just move on, it stays that way.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:25 pm
@ossobuco,
They do seem to sometimes reset but they do seem to get there -- not explaining this well and I'm too tired to do a really good job with the explanation -- but the idea is, you vote it down but you're still logged in, you might see it not voted down, but once you've logged out and then back in (maybe even after 24 hrs), they are definitely voted down.

I hope that's coherent.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
It would be nice if you could see the titles that you have collapsed. Instead of just saying "topic voted down", it would be wonderful if just the name of the thread remained.

Actually, it would be great if you would see the title with a mouse over, but I suppose that would be technically impractical.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I wouldn't mind either of those. But perhaps not before things like pms and updates. I don't care about either of those, but a lot of us do, and the updates are vip for newbies. But then R 'n N know this already.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:11 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
..peek at anything you've collapsed. Then vote back if you're interested. I believe if you respond it's an automatic vote-up.

I experimented with this. I voted up a topic that I had previously collapsed and it stayed visible, even though I had not posted in the topic.

You can only do this once though (at least in the short term). If you then subsequently collapse it once more, and try to reverse it, the topic will stay collapsed.
jespah

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 09:51 am
@Reyn,
Thank you for checking that. It kinda makes sense, to not allow you to infinitely vote things up and down. Every time you do that, every time you vote, it's another line in the database. If 100 people do this 100 times on 100 topics in 100 days, you can see where that kind of thing (which, let's face it, is pretty minor versus things like being able to add new posts or topics -- more lines in the database) could degrade system performance very quickly.*

Re PMs and Updates -- my understanding is they are being considered carefully and worked on, I believe on more of a priority basis (but priorities can change as resources become available {or not}) because of their value to new users.

*PS I'm not telling you not to vote, post, etc. Go ahead and use the site as you desire! We want to spread those 100 million lines in the database (if you multiply all those 100s I listed above, that's the number that you get) among lots and lots and lots of people. Including all of you! Smile
0 Replies