Featured Topics list

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:19 pm
With the addition of the new feature, "Featured Topics" list, I've noticed that one must do a fair bit more scrolling in order to be able to get to the bottom of the page to get to "Next", so one can get to the next page.

For those that like this, it's a good feature, but would it be possible, for those that are not bothered with this new feature to have an option in "My Preferences" so this will not show? Or, be able to "collapse" this area from view, much like threads?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 987 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:23 pm
@Reyn,
Where is this Featured Topics that you speak of?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:24 pm
Sounds like you have too many topics voted down, unless you have more than 30% or so of the topics collapsed the left column should be longer than the right one.

Because everyone can have different amounts of topics collapsed it can't be perfectly balanced for everyone. But we can explore other thinks like accesskeys for the pagination, or keyboard shortcuts, moving the pagination into the left column etc.

Either way, please use the contact us (webmaster category) for feature requests, bugs etc. It's easier to have them in one place.
Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Either way, please use the contact us (webmaster category) for feature requests, bugs etc. It's easier to have them in one place.

Okay, thanks, will do.

Quote:
Sounds like you have too many topics voted down

Sorry, didn't realize that there was a limit to this. I find the ability to collapse threads a good way to maximize my time here.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ah, okay, it appears to me that you have now moved access to the "Featured Topics" list to only from the various lists (topics / posts) and not from within a particular thread itself.

This is much better, thank you!

Laughing Or perhaps I missed something (I'm tired).
Reyn

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 08:58 am
@Reyn,
Are folks using the "Featured Topics" list?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:08 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Where is this Featured Topics that you speak of?

It's on the lower right side bottom of the page (for me) of when I click New Posts.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:37 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
Another quick release of code we already had lying around almost ready: featured topics. On several grids we are now displaying a list of featured topics in the grid sidebar. The topics are selected by tags and votes, so if you want to promote a topic up vote it or tag it and as always let us know what you think.
http://blog.able2know.org/2008/11/25/featured-topics/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 11:35 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, I'm suspecting you haven't see the words TOP and END next to the scroll bar.

I'll agree they are minute, and I don't quite get why except they are put there by young guys with swell eyes. Stare a bit and you'll see them, I hope. I have bad eyes and I can see them since I know they're there.

But, click on End, and the page will plummet, and click on Top, vice versa.
Reyn

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:01 am
@ossobuco,
Yup, I knew they were there. I was just making an observation, re: the extra scrolling.
0 Replies