The "Death" of the Computer Mouse

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:35 am
@lindsey1234567,
that is your first and only contribution to this forum?

methinks Set isn't the idiot here....
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:17 pm
@Bella Dea,
As obnoxious and rude as lindsey1234567 is being, there really isn't a problem with shaking devices with no moving parts. If the iPhone had a hard drive shaking it would be bad, but it runs on flash memory and has no moving parts to worry about breaking that way (it does, for example have an accelerometer that has moving parts but it's designed to capture those movements like shaking as user input).

0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:37 pm
I also dislike touchscreens. While they may replace mice, keyboards are a different issue. Have you ever tried typing on an iPhone? It's not very fun. Maybe the next generation of laptops will have two screens, one typical, and one where the keyboard normally is. Still, greasy hands are a problem, and a keyboard is so much more practical and easy to use. Why change for change's sake?
0 Replies

kiran11

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 02:02 am
@maporsche,
i think ur mouse have dust , so clean dust from mouse
0 Replies

Lilyvila

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Buddy,computer is not like phone. Our computer has a bigger screen. If you always touch it, you'll feel very tired. Especially, when you play games or need roll screen frequently, you, surely, need a mouse.
0 Replies

Bob Fellows

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 07:34 am
@Butrflynet,
I have a problem now with the cursor on my mouse, it does not connect when i wish to make a comment on facebook - otherwise it's fine. Any ideas. Apologies for using your space Butrflynet, i just got caught into it. Bob (UK)
0 Replies

F7-ACiD

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:49 pm
Gaming drives personal computer development.
The mouse and keyboard are Still the fastest, most accurate way to navigate 3D environments on a computer.
Most games these days feature 3D environments, and though all the new VR toys are cool, they are giving people the same adverse reactions as 3D movies, which most theaters now only give a few slots to, and mainly show the 2D version (people suck, what can I say. Thin the herd.)

Therefore, 3D game environments depicted on flat screens are in no danger of disappearing any time soon.
This means the mouse and keyboard control method is also not going anywhere, any time soon.

When touch screen laptops and combo tablet/laptop devices came out, everyone said the Keyboard and mouse were dead.

But not many of those sell anymore, the iPad being an exception. A touch screen with your fat finger on it simply doesn't have the accuracy required for Many device uses and a Lot of software.
Sure, you can carry around a touch pen (I carry 3, because they get lost so easily), but that's annoying, even if you have a case like mine with a holder for it.
And the real killer, even With a pen (which completely removes the interactive touch experience) is Still not as accurate as a pointer on the screen. And you also can't see what's under your finger or pen... Or what's behind your finger and hand.
This makes touch computing worthless for many computer uses.
Try doing pro photo retouching, graphic design, video post production, 3D modeling or texturing, sound engineering, or just plain drawing or painting digitally, etc..

Sure, in some of those cases nothing beats a tablet and pen, With the keyboard. But for many, many computer uses, including the use that literally drives personal computer advances, the mouse and keyboard are King (and special mice, like the 4D Mouse, are still mice).

Touch is Great for special circumstance computer interfacing. Such as on phones, phablets, and tablets.
But none of those devices have the versatility or power of a PC. And none of those devices is the Best at doing Anything a PC can also do, except perhaps making phone calls, taking okay photographs, or in the case of tablets, being a portable entertainment device, or a bargain basement Point Of Sale device.

Everything else... The Real Work, like coding, design, office work, gaming (😁), is done much better by a full size "gaming" PC, or a Gaming Laptop (calling a system a gaming system just means it's the best and latest tech they have. Games Push Development.), with a good laser mouse, and a quality keyboard (either a good gaming keyboard, or the excellent Microsoft Ergo 4000), Period.

BTW, a quick word about my knowledge level.
I've used computers since the mid 70s, before there were CRT monitors. I started using them professionally in 1981. I have been a designer in every sense of the word, an a digital artist, and all sorts of other titles they give you when they stop letting you Create, and force you to think up stuff to tell other people to create.
and I've been a Video Gamer since the Video part was ASCII characters printed out on a teletype terminal.
I am currently a part time game development consultant and tester.

I once doubled IBM's income with One creative project. And I've done more unbelievable things than that. My user name is a Big hint. Wink
0 Replies

F7-ACiD

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:04 pm
@ebrown p,
She tracking is already a reality. It's used to provide input for people with arm/hand mobility issues.
Though because it is not a mass market feature, the price of the devices is prohibitive.

It came from DARPA research long ago, and has been used in military cockpits for decades.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:10 pm
@F7-ACiD,
F7-ACiD wrote:

She tracking is already a reality. It's used to provide input for people with arm/hand mobility issues.
Though because it is not a mass market feature, the price of the devices is prohibitive.

It came from DARPA research long ago, and has been used in military cockpits for decades.

FYI: You're posting to an 8 year+ old thread.
ebrown p hasn't been on the forum for almost 5 plus years.

On the one hand, their posts (and the original post) is pretty much technologically obsolete given the span of time and tech innovations since then....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 07:43 pm
I have had an iMac for a few years now. I use their trackpad. I don't think that I could ever go back to a mouse.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 04:24 pm
@parados,
What I love was the scene in one of the star trek movies where Scotty try voice commands to an apple computer an the fact that now that scene would not be funny at all and would need to be editor.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 07:02 am
@BillRM,
Were we ever so naïve back then? We now have Star Trek teleporters; healing pods from Elysium; Tide Pods for laundry and light snacking.
0 Replies