Drain pan in my shower...need some information from you plumbing experts

mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:07 am
Our shower is leaking through to the basement. I stopped it up the other day and left it for 3 days and it did not leak. Doesn't that mean it is not the drain pan? Does that mean it is the drain itself? It has been replaced within the last five years but started leaking almost immediately and the man that did it (lovely man that he was) could not figure out how to fix it and left us high and dry. We could take him to small claim court but it is not worth it - that is beside the point.

Can someone give me some guidance on how to find out what the problem is? Plumber said it is not the pipes.

Thanks,
mis
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,212 • Replies: 7

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:17 am
@mismi,

It has got to be the pipes or the seal between the wall (tiles) and the edge of the pan.
You could check that by leaving it running for a while, ensuring that the walls do not get splashes and all the water falls into the pan.
If it leaks then, it's the drain pipes under the pan and they should be refitted or replaced.

If it doesn't leak under these conditions, then you have to see to the tile grouting and edge seal.

Either way, a competent plumber should easily be able to deal with this.
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:19 am
@McTag,
So that plumber that came by was not competent...sheesh...we have the worst luck with service. I was not sure who to call but that makes sense McTag...thanks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:51 am
http://ezinearticles.com/?Testing-a-Shower-Pan-for-Leaks&id=485244

http://www.myhomeimprovement.com/?page=prev_ques&qid=6316&m=24
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:01 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks BBB....I do believe that McTag is right - I know it is not the pipes behind the wall and I am sure it is not the drain pan...I suspect the pipes below. The plumber didn't even look there. I am calling them back .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:11 am
Where's Joe the Plumber when you need him?
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:52 am
@chai2,
ba da bum Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:21 pm
McTag is right (as usual). It must be the pipes. Nothing else makes sense.
0 Replies