how do i listen to music at my computer?

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:09 pm
please help me to download the music so that i can listen at my computer

thank you
nan macleod Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,662 • Replies: 21
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:16 pm
To start with, you need a media app ... Windows Media Player, RealOne, WinAmp, Liquid JukeBox, something of that nature. Windows comes with Windows Media Player. From there, its easy; you go to the App Provider's home page and browse the media files of the Application Host to find the music you want, and follow the instructions to either download or listen to streams.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:00 am
Stay away from Real Player asa it is full of syware. Here is the link to download Windows Media. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/players.aspx
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:11 am
Quote:
Volume 1, Number 3
April 21, 2001
IN THIS ISSUE:
* RealPlayer: RealSpyware?
* Product Profile: O&O CleverCache
* Mailbag: Fast Reboot Is A Hit, RealPlayer Woes and Macromedia Flash
Problems
* Newsletters: More Or Longer?

Before we begin this issue, I need to mention that the Windows 2000 Power
Users newsletter has been featured in the Windows Daily section of
Lockergnome.com! For those of you who don't know about Chris Pirillo's
LockerGnome, it's a site loaded with news, reviews, opinions and newsletters
pertaining to just about everything digital. They come strongly recommended
from me and have something there for just about everyone.

RealPlayer: RealSpyware?

Last week's article on RealPlayer being a RealPain prompted a flurry of
letters, some of which insinuated that RealPlayer was in fact a piece of
spyware. Was all this stuff true? Was RealPlayer in fact one of the most
ubiquitous pieces of spyware out there?

I buckled down and did my homework, and when I finally lifted my head from
the desk I found some things that did bother me.

The first and most alarming thing was the repeated mention of RealPlayer and
Comet Cursor in the same breath by many people. For instance, a review in
Epinions.com of Comet Cursor mentioned that "...if you downloaded and
installed Real Player 7 and 8, you've downloaded and installed Comet Cursor
2.0 since it was bundled with it." (The review:
http://www.epinions.com/cmd-review-34A-509F7B7-39D3CDC4-prod1 )

I later found that this was incumbent upon what type of RealPlayer
installation you chose. The most basic, bare-bones installation of
RealPlayer, while still rife with all those incredibly annoying nag boxes
that refuse to die, doesn't appear to have Comet Cursor as part of its
package. So if you haven't downloaded it yet, go for the most stripped-down
version of the program you can get.

The most damning evidence about software from Real Networks in general
appears to come from Gibson Research ( http://www.grc.com ), Steve Gibson's
site devoted to PC security. There, he has a page --
http://grc.com/downloaders.htm -- in which he dissects the data sent from
RealNetworks' RealDownload package. His findings boil down to this:

1) RealDownload, one of the RealNetworks programs, transmits a considerable
amount of personal information back to the RealNetworks servers whenever it
is used.
2) RealNetworks has repeatedly denied that they are using this information,
and that their software could behave in such a fashion. The second part of
that statement runs completely contrary to what Gibson has unearthed; as for
the first, the jury is still out.

RealDownload is not part of RealPlayer by default, but there is nothing that
says that RealPlayer doesn't also behave the way RealDownload does, as
described in Gibson's piece. In fact, I got a letter from a reader
(detailed below) that seems to hint towards this.

Steve Gibson, in case you haven't browsed his excellent site yet, is
probably one of the smartest and most with-it people in the PC security
space today. His tools, including Shields Up! and LeakTest, have helped
thousands of people determine if their systems are insecure. I doubt that
he would make allegations this serious unless there was something behind it;
he's not someone I would call a crackpot. Overly cautious, perhaps, but one
of the benefits of being overly cautious is you catch the things other
people don't. So his word goes a long way with me on these matters.

The biggest problem with all of this, as I've mentioned before, is that it's
hard to do WITHOUT RealPlayer in a lot of cases. If we must have it, then I
say let's have it in the most minimal, least-intrusive configuration
possible.

http://www.thegline.com/win2k/issues/2001/3.html

Quote:
How to avoid or delete "RealPlay"™ spy implants
Martin Webster writes:

I GOT two responses arising from my bulletin which drew attention to the fact that the American 'RealPlay' software, which the BBC's web site requires punters to download in order to access its broadcasts, has implants which enable the RealPlay company to monitor the activity of all those computers world-wide which have its software installed (when they are online). These responses appear below and are self-explanatory.

P.S. I'm not quite sure where all this advice leaves me, since I live on Planet Mac. If anybody has any relevant info, I should be glad to receive it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: To: Martin Webster

July 18, 2002

WE are aware of the RealPlayer software you mention produced by RealNetworks Inc. And can offer RealPlayer V7 & V8 users the following advice to protect their privacy.

In the absence of expensive packet-sniffing software and the technical knowledge to understand the data such software produces, it is impossible for the average RealPlayer user to know precisely what the software actually sends to RealNetworks.

The user is therefore has take all necessary measures to prevent RealPlayer from contacting RealNetworks.

Measures the user can take to make sure the software behaves itself.

When the installation process is complete RealPlayer will ask if you would complete a registration form. It goes without saying the user should not.
When the software is installed, two additional applications are also installed; RealJukebox, and RealDownload. Unfortunately users are not given the option as to whether these applications are installed. Only when the installation process is complete, are users able to uninstall both.
RealJukebox has received extensive coverage in the computer press (An informative article can be found at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/7586.html) for surreptitiously logging of MP3 files stored on a user's hard-drive, and connecting to RealNetworks to upload the data. Get rid of it.
RealPlayer by default creates a 'shortcut' in the (C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp), which will cause RealPlayer to connect RealNetworks, when Windows connects to the Internet.
Fortunately this can be prevented simply and safely by deleting this 'shortcut'.
The RealPlayer user can by further operations protect his privacy by selecting certain Options:

Under: View > Preferences > Support: remove ticks for (i.e. de-select):
Send connection-quality data to RealServers
Send RealPlayer GUID to Real Servers (GUID stands for Globally Unique Identifier)
Send configuration info when connecting to technical support
Enable cookies

Under: View > Preferences > Proxy > HTTP options: select:
"Manually configure HTTP proxy." Under "Proxy server" users should enter the following URL. http://anon.free.anonymizer.com/ (This may no longer work, but is worth a try)

Under: View > Preferences > General > StartCenter > Settings:
Users should make sure the "Enable StartCenter" option is not selected.

Under: View > Preferences > Content > Channel > Settings:
Users should make sure the 'Enable automatic Channel headline update' option is not selected. In addition, the 'Enable automatic scrolling for Channel headlines' option should not be selected.

Under: View > Preferences > Upgrade:
Users should Click the "Turn off notification for 30 days" button.

5) One of the most important tools defence against RealPlayer and other Spyware is the Firewall. Firewalls do not only prevent hackers gaining entry to a user's PC/Network, but can prevent unauthorised outboard communication. A good piece of free software is ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm users can; specify to always allow, always disallow, or to ask individual permission each time for any outgoing communication. It is the last option which is recommended, and can be used to stop RealPlayer from phoning home (Look for any attempted communication with any address at the real.com domain.

6) Lastly 'WebWasher' available from (http://www.webroot.com/) and 'Evidence-Eliminator' -- both these includes options to clean the playlist log of RealPlayer 7 & 8, as well as other software.

We hope the above is of use. Please feel free to distribute the above to any interested parties.

Pete
British Nation Webmaster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: From: [email protected]

Date: Wed, Jul 10, 2002, 6:57 am

To: Martin Webster

Subject: Re: 'Real Play' surveillance software implants

Yes, it's true that Real Player is spyware. But so are newer versions of Windows (2000 and XP). (I use Windows 98SE.) Generally, they use the data for marketing/advertising, but what you want to know is could they abuse this? Certainly, it's possible.

If you've got a high-speed Internet connection, some FireWall software is a good bet. (I don't have a high-speed connection myself, though I have the software, which is then useless because it bogs down my system too much.) There are programs that let you know when some sort of spyware is being used. You can probably find some at www.webattack.com .

Personally, every time before I log on the Internet, I make sure I right-click beforehand on my Explorer icon, select Properties, then select the tabs Security and Privacy, setting them to the maximum. Make sure you hit the button Apply at the bottom. (You may have to lower the security settings for downloads or to view certain sites, but put them back up afterwards.) Also, in the General tab, regularly select cookies and delete them. And change your web page history to a day or two. Your "index" webpage file cannot be deleted to the best of my knowledge. (I'm sure it can, but not sure how. This is the file that also keeps track of web pages and is found by doing a Start-Find-Files and then typing in "cookies"--in that folder. While it cannot be destroyed, you might be able to do a "save as" some type of file that will cause it problems such as an Excel file. Also, you might want to search for any "applets" while you're at it and delete them.) As an added precautionary measure, you might want to encrypt your trash before deleting it out.

After doing that, before I log on, I hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE simultaneously and then close all the programs running in the background of my computer (and RealPlayer is one of them) one at a time (this is done several times in a row) EXCEPT Systray and Explorer. (You can still open any programs afterwards after having done this, but this might cause problems if you do it while you're online.)

Now, keep in mind that Big Brother might have implanted a stealth program too. (And while you're at it, when you do the CTRL-ALT-DEL, if you do this while you're online, check to see if RNAAPP is running, as I never noticed this program running until recently on my computer. And I think it's transmitting my personal data to someone, not that I have anything to conceal. Of course, I'm paranoid, too, so this might be part of it.) A stealth program would monitor all your keystrokes, where you go, what you say, and report it back to someone. Usually, such programs operate while online, but this isn't always the case. I "think" a good FireWall would prevent this, however.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/02/07/Webster220702.html

My take: Use a firewall and a spyware hunter/killer along with an antivirus, and keep all of them updated. Pay attention to Install Options for any application you download. Use your head; its your computer, make it do what you want it to. You have to be firm with the suckers; they're like kids or puppies ... they'll do whatever you let them get away with. Control is your job.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:02 pm
Actually, I found a spyware free version of Real Player downloads when you download Spinner. http://www.spinner.com/floor.jhtml?url=%2Fgetspinner%2F_getspinner.jhtml&_requestid=418544
0 Replies

Coaan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:48 am
Why bother with real player? Winamp can do everything that it can and it also a number of extra features that have managed to keep it at the top of the music chain as it were
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 05:41 am
yes winamp is the best but real and quicktime are necessary evils.
look for "realplayer alternative" and "quicktime alternative" for spy-free versions.
0 Replies

Coaan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:59 am
ye110man wrote:
look for "realplayer alternative" and "quicktime alternative" for spy-free versions.

*shakes his head*

There are far better alternatives to those hunks of crap out there....as well as a few freeware players that will play most if not all of the file types including realplayer and quicktime..
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:13 am
interesting stuff here. Thanks for the info everyone.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:21 am
Coaan wrote:
ye110man wrote:

*shakes his head*

There are far better alternatives to those hunks of crap out there....as well as a few freeware players that will play most if not all of the file types including realplayer and quicktime..

care to enlighten us?
i don't see any difference between the realplayer and quicktime alternative and the official versions minus the bloat.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:23 am
On thursday Apple makes iTunes for Windows available. The version for the Macintosh is the best piece of software I have ever used. It is a awsome digital jukebox. Hopefully the windows version doesn't suck like Quicktime does.

It also includes the iTunes Music Store. If you are looking for free music this won't allow that. You can play it, just not acquire it with iTunes. But you can pay .99 cents per song and make as many cd's as you want and put it on 3 computers and portable mp3 players.

So feel free to check it out.

You can get it at www.apple.com thursday around noon.
I don't work for Apple, even though I sound like a press release. But this software kicks ass for music playback, importing, and burning.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:43 am
itunes on windows. let the cracking begin. for better or worse, there will be better quality aac's flooding kazaa now.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
I've heard from a number of people that Rhapsody ( www.listen.com ) is better than itunes, and it's already been available for windows a while.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:07 pm
I've been using Rhapsody via Real Superpass (which I got mostly for NASCAR) for a while now ... pretty much satisfied with it. All in all, though, I gotta say I'm not impressed by MP3 ... good enough for casual listening with the sort of sound capabilities common to computers, but it isn't my choice for listening to music when listening to music is the object. I much prefer my "room full of speakers and wall of components", as that commercial from marketing marvel Bose puts it. I say "marketing marvel, btw, because, IMHO, nobody impressed by Bose has ever heard real mid-to-high-end audio.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:50 am
agreed.
lossy compressed music doesn't cut it for me. if they were selling lossless music, i'd be all over it.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:43 am
ye110man wrote:
agreed.
lossy compressed music doesn't cut it for me. if they were selling lossless music, i'd be all over it.

Like flac. Apple sends 3 Megs for .99. Do you want to pay 2.00 for lossless? Bandwidth cost. You are not who they want to sell to. My sister is. Buy the CD.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:32 pm
i think it can be commercially viable. offer lossless music as an option ontop of AAC (itunes) or WMA (new napster?). both aac and wma have lossless options. so while most peoplee would download the lossy version. people like me (the minority) would pay a few cents extra for lossless.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 03:53 pm
It is reported that Apple Computer's iTunes for Windows was out.

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/10/19/0053242.shtml?tid=107&tid=141&tid=187&tid=188

On my Mac, iTunes is my main tool for listening music.
But for iTunes, the quantity of my CD's bought might have been one tenth of that of the current CD's at hand for computer listening. (Actually, I have many other music CD's listened to through other audio means than a Mac.)
AAC (or MP3) conversion is also done through iTunes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:14 pm
jpowell wrote:
Buy the CD.

Oh, I do, but only when I can't find it on vinyl Mr. Green

Though I gotta say the newer audio formats, SACD, HDCD, and DVD Audio, are certainly steps in the right direction. Anyone thinking of getting a new A/V optical media player should investigate one that plays all the newer formats as well as conventional CDs and DVDs. Wish I'd thought of that ... woulda saved a lot of rack space and semi-duplicated capabilities. Shocked
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 01:46 am
it looks like dvd-audio is gonna win the high quality audio war, if there is a winner at all. but i'm disappointed by its implementation. not only are the higher specs overkill (holman of thx calls it "irresponsible") but it is almost purposely unappealing to the masses.
i'd love to see a new super-mini-dvd-audio standard. it wouldn't be that hard to implement. the hardware redesign is almost trivial. and it would appeal to a wider audience (especially the mini-disc crowd).
0 Replies