THIRTY YEARS WAR

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:27 pm
What organizations opposed one another at the start of the 17th century which served to line up the opponents in this war. Describe the Danish, Swedish and French phases, and why they were so named. Who were Manstein, Wallenstein, Tilly, Gustavus Adolphus, Oxensteirn, Turenne and Montececuli? Was this primiarily a religious war, or were there other, political factors which had a significant effect? What was the settlement of the war called, and what were it's main terms. List your sources.

Let's get cracking, folks, i need this for my ten o'clock on Wednesday.

Well . . . i'm waiting . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,425 • Replies: 26
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:40 pm
Well, to fully understand , we must travel back in time to a period before most of us were born, cept maybe Ci and Dys.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:41 pm
Hey, com'on man, don't jerk me around . . . i need this really bad . . .
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:47 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Well, to fully understand , we must travel back in time to a period before most of us were born, cept maybe Ci and Dys.

Hold on there, farmer. You're insulting me by the omission. What makes you think I wasn't there?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:47 pm
@Setanta,
It's all about outlandish dwarfs and midgets - so who cares?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:48 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Oh, you go back even farther to when the earth was still cooling off.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:53 pm
@Setanta,
I suppose that, with some serious scholarship you could sort this out in a few months. Why the Wed deadline? are you having a meeting with your dissertation committee?. Just blow smoke up their asses, theyll never know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:59 pm
I already did that once, they're expecting results this time . . . i know, i know . . . i shouldn't have spent the weekend trolling for teenie bait on Face Book . . . but com'on . . . life was meant to be lived ! ! !
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:02 pm
@Setanta,
Ill bet the trunk of your car has many stories to tell.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:10 pm
@Setanta,
Tsk tsk ...
We'd be more inclined to assist if you could show some evidence of research, Setanta. (You must have done some, yes?)

For example what are your findings so far on these folk? :
Quote:
Manstein, Wallenstein, Tilly, Gustavus Adolphus, Oxensteirn, Turenne and Montececuli ....
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:18 pm
@msolga,
Gustavus Adolphus is the only name I recognize right off.
Letty

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:22 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Here's some free association, Merry one:

The Brandenburg Suite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9qWpa2rIg

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:23 pm
@Letty,
Thx, Betts.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:24 pm
@Setanta,

Treaty of Westphalia wunnit?

http://able2know.org/topic/92414-384

"….they glance from their frames with an aloof and high-souled melancholy which is both haunting and enigmatic. Tilly, Wallenstein, Mansfeld, Bethlen, Brunswick, Spinola, Maximilian, Gustavus Adolphus, Bernard of Saxe-Weimar, Piccolomini, Arnim, Koenigsmark, Wrangel, Pappenheim, the Cardinal-Infant of the Spanish Netherlands, Le Grand Conde. The destroying banners move about the landscape like flags on a campaign map: the Emperor’s haloed double eagles, the blue-and-white Wittelsbach lozenges for the Palatinate and Bavaria, the rampant Bohemian lion, the black and gold bars of Saxony, the three Vasa crowns of Sweden, the black and white check of Brandenburg, the lions and castles of Castille and Aragon, the blue and gold French lilies. Ever since then, the jigsaw distribution of Catholics and Protestants has remained as it was after the Peace of Westphalia."
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
@Setanta,
The 30 years war was the most destructive European war prior to WW-I as I understand it. West Point scholars view Gustavus Adolphus as the most interesting figure in that picture and as an innovator, like Chengis Khan. He apparently was responsible for revolutionary advances in battlefield artillery.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:04 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
For example what are your findings so far on these folk? :
Quote:

Manstein, Wallenstein, Tilly, Gustavus Adolphus, Oxensteirn, Turenne and Montececuli ....

I has come to the conclusion that them boys had funny names . . .
hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
hi setanta ,

you can download johann christoph friedrich von schiller's "wallensteins tod" right at this link - it's even free !

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6549

once you are ready to recite the whole "trauerspiel" , you are permitted to come back for further instructions <GRIN>

in the meantime you may want to have a look at SENI seing the corpse of WALLENSTEIN spread out before him !

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Karl_Theodor_von_Piloty_001.jpg/694px-Karl_Theodor_von_Piloty_001.jpg

is that enough to keep you busy tonight ?

btw i'd suggest you learn how to pronounce schiller's full name before any other undertakings !
hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:19 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I has come to the conclusion that them boys had funny names . . .

True, indeed, if one is not familiar with the Westphalia region (& the TREATY!!! Evil or Very Mad), but to get back to your paper ....

Um ... have you at least glanced at what Wikipedia has to say about the Thirty Year War? It may well be a good starting point!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:32 pm
@Setanta,
in german history the 30 year war is described as "an inter-european conflict on german soil" .
13 different wars were fought and there were 10 separate peace treaties .
i know this doesn't answer any of your questions but i'm sure it'll be an important contribution to your ongoing education .
hbg

http://www.lehrer.uni-karlsruhe.de/~za146/barock/30krieg.htm

btw if you are interested in some of the german info , i'd suggest you go to google.de and enter "30jaehriger krieg" - also plenty of illustrations and maps can be found there under "bilder"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:34 pm
Aw man . . . i just want answers . . . i don't want to actually have to do any work . . .