You raised me this way, now why are you surprised?

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:25 pm
@Diest TKO,
We've got the picture TKO. You've took a graduate level course in aerodynamics called Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). Right. We also know you're an expert in Liberal Arts. Good stuff. We are all impressed. I am at least. I'll say nothing about comparative education. I only need watch a space walk to know about that.

And you're a film-star looker. It is a good pic you have on your profile. Tastefully shot. I'm surprised you are not innundated with A2K ladies probing your finances delicately like Jane Austen explained. ("What did you have for breakfast?" type of thing.) You should read her stuff. You need protection with your combination of advantages. I thought of Napoleon first but then I noticed the lettering. A chubby Robert Redford gambler maybe.

The rest of the post is just mindless drivel. I've talked like that myself in my apprenticeship so I know. Being gazed at with what I now know to be ironic dazed admiration. And it would be remiss of me to conspire to cause another A2Ker to take as long as it took me to see it coming.

I would go with your sex appeal if I was you. Play to your strengths. Pale orange tinted Raybans and your hair a bit longer and some lady A2Kers might find you well nigh irresistable I should think.

You should take on your own kind. A mathematics PhD with horn-rimmed specs with her hair parted in the middle and legs like Olive Oil say. Jack Nicholson showed how to do that.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
(haven't moved to the next page yet, understood your post on the no accomplishment well, Diest.)

This is elementary but not off point, I think -
I took an advanced course in land planning, wherein that quarter's problem was on laying out a tract of houses and building a model, given a certain topography, bla bla. We all spent hundreds of hours on that (a course most of us took at night after work, thus staying up all night for many days twelve weeks at a time), and it was judged by some primo folk, not naming names. The winner had a plan rather like some famous plans, guh, research and agreement with it and slap it out.

But the rest of us learned a lot by taking the question primatively step by step.
Eh, grades, those were all good. Everyone broke their asses and had some insights.

Grades are some kind of weed out factor, and sometimes miss.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Might be time for me to add that I've been a judge on a bunch of design competitions. That has its own conflicts..

But I see this is off topic, re snotty students.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:48 am
@spendius,
Pale orange Rayban's eh? I've always preferred my mirror finish aviators.

The sex appeal is the easy part.
K
Cool
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:31 am
@Diest TKO,
u guys went to college, your so damn lucky.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:00 am
@OGIONIK,
I won't forget that fact.

BTW, your sig, it's from "Next Friday" isn't it.

T
K
O
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:04 am
@Diest TKO,
yeah i just watched it.

hbo is alright, movies are cool but recently they make me feel slightly loserish.

like im missing out on real life..oh well they r free. for me anyway.

Sad
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:10 am
@mismi,

And it's not just the kids. People seem in general to be much more thoughtless and careless of others- having loud conversations in restaurants, speaking loudly on their mobile phones wherever they may be, sitting with their feet on the seats of railway carriages, dropping litter, expecting others to get out of their way on crowded footpaths, hanging about in shop doorways or blocking aisles in supermarkets to the inconvenience of others. Parking in parking places for the disabled, when seemingly perfectly able-bodied. And perhaps worst of all, failing to see any fault with their children's behaviour, however rowdy or otherwise unpleasant it may be.
Anti-social habits. Not everyone, but a significant section.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:12 am
@McTag,
i always put my feet on the seats on the bus lol.

24 and i feel fifty. i started this thing where on the bus i explicitly.
didnt work.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:56 am
@McTag,
I have noticed that myself. Even in driving...people will speed up if they think you are about to pull out in front of them. It's a very self-centered society these days. I am doing my best to help my boys be different.

What has caught me by surprise a lot lately is that even older men will shoot in front of me and not hold the door - not that I am all that and a bag of chips...but older men I can usually count on to make me feel like a lady - but I have noticed more and more that they are not as polite as they used to be. I know they weren't raised that way - more than likely anyway - I wonder if that is a societal thing...womens lib and wanting to be equal so the men just gave up and let us be. Hm. I know I am old fashioned though it certainly does not offend me - I was just raised by a sweet southern gentlemen that led me to expect that from other gentlemen. And it ain't always so these days!

I think that the self centeredness of society rubs off on our children as well. I don't think it all has to do with how they are raised...a good part of it, but some of their behavior is adapting to society's standards...I think...I am going to continue to ponder.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:39 am
@mismi,
wtf who lets a door shut in front of a lady?

foos need to learna thang from a G

Razz
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:56 am
My roommate's mother sent him a care package for the holidays that had lots of his favorite things from home. Simple stuff like home-made salsa and baked goods. The package was delivered--to our neighbors. They signed for it and everything. My roommate found out that it had been delivered and went to see if he could get the package from them. They pretended to not know what he was talking about. My roommate then showed him the man's signature he printed off from the DHL website. The man suddenly remembered and then tried to play down the fact that he and his wife had ate all the cookies and most of the salsa. The man then asked if my roommate wanted the unopened bottle of salsa.

They're a couple in their 40's. I'll tell you what. I can't believe how disrespectful the older generations are to people. They think because they've been around long enough that they can just have whatever they want.

I hope the sarcasm and irony in blue has set in. No, I don't think any of that, but it's easy to make a generalization. This did really happen, BTW. Our neighbors are assholes and in their 40's, but it doesn't mean that they are assholes BECAUSE they are in their 40's.

I don't think today's youth are less or more respectful. The term "whippersnapper" existed long before we came along. Perhaps when I get older, I'll see some youth act in a way I find appalling. I hope I remain sober and grounded when that day comes so I can remember the natural order of things are.

T
K
O
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:01 am
@Diest TKO,
dude ive thought kids have acted appaling my whole damn life.

i remember at the age of 13 or 14 when i was on the bus and this black kid and mexican kid were ating sunflower seeds and there was a fuckin PILE of shells on the floor.

i wanted to smack them with a peice of wood.
aidan

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:49 am
@OGIONIK,
Yeah - once I went to this bar where you shelled and ate peanuts and you were SUPPOSED to throw the shells on the floor and I just couldn't do it - I just couldn't - even though everyone else in the whole place was and you were SUPPOSED to.

I don't know - I try to think of when the last time a 'young' adult (below the age of thirty) was rude or disrespectful to me. I can't think of one. In fact the other day I was pushing this shopping trolley out and it had one wobbly wheel and I was obviously struggling and this kid just walked up and started pulling it from the front for me - without a word - he'd noticed me struggling and decided to help.
On the other hand - Monday I was going to the library and I opened my back car door to get my books out and I bumped the car next to mine. I looked - no mark and went about my business and this fifty year old lady comes up to me and says, 'You bumped my car..' and I said, 'Yeah, sorry about that, but I checked and it didn't leave a mark..' and she says, 'Yeah, so YOU say - don't go anywhere until I check...' and I stand there as she starts talking to someone and says, 'Which door did she hit it with - front or back?' and I'm like totally confused - who the hell is she talking to and theres this other fifty year old lady sitting in the back seat of the car - I hadn't even noticed her and she answers- 'back door'. So she looks and says, 'No, no mark' and looks at me like she's a cop or something and she's about to grant me permission to leave- I was waiting for her to say, 'You're free to go...' and I said,'Yeah, that's what I just told you...I would have admitted it to you if I'd damaged your car...'
And she jumps all over me -' I told you it was okay - why are you getting hostile?'
I just started laughing and said, 'I'm not hostile - I'm just trying to figure out what the issue is and get to the library before it closes'
And she says, right to my face- 'Stupid bloody American..'
I said, 'Yeah, now that's nice - now who's being hostile and stereotypical. Your car's fine - have a nice day...'

I think a kid or young adult would have said -as I would have- 'That's alright - no big deal'- not acted all anal and in charge and punitive...maybe that's the part of authority and authoritarian figures younger people have trouble with.

I actually LIKE kids - usually more than most adults...I think they can feel that and respond in kind.

The younger people who come in the restaurant are always the most pleasant, least demanding and best tippers.

And if kids are so fucked up - who raised them to be that way?

Spendius - what the hell are you talking about? No one is like everyone else- no one ever could or should have to be like everyone else. How boring would that be?

And (edited to say I was going to respond to something else - but I forgot what).
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@aidan,
there are extremes.

what part of the country do you live in big city or bumfuck egypt or small town?

ive noticed sometimes poor children and teens are more rude and or even violent than people who have more secure lifestyles.

but everyone is different.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:07 am
I was listening to this song and I thought about this thread.

Talking bout the young folks
K
O
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Spendius - what the hell are you talking about?

I don't know. I've forgotten.

Quote:
No one is like everyone else- no one ever could or should have to be like everyone else. How boring would that be?

You do seem to get into a lot of fraught situations Becks. That stuff would bore me rigid. All you need do is get a properly functioning trolley and avoid banging people's cars. You probably would have dented the old bat's car if the manufactures had not designed a protective strip as a pre-emptive strategy after surveying women drivers on car parks. Were either parties armed?

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:19 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

My roommate's mother sent him a care package for the holidays that had lots of his favorite things from home. Simple stuff like home-made salsa and baked goods. The package was delivered--to our neighbors. They signed for it and everything. My roommate found out that it had been delivered and went to see if he could get the package from them. They pretended to not know what he was talking about. My roommate then showed him the man's signature he printed off from the DHL website. The man suddenly remembered and then tried to play down the fact that he and his wife had ate all the cookies and most of the salsa. The man then asked if my roommate wanted the unopened bottle of salsa.

Diest, your roommate should have contacted DHL and told them that
the package was delivered to the wrong address and that the people have
opened it and the contents were taken/eaten. It really is DHL's responsibility to either deliver to the right address or take it back and wait
for further instructions from the recipient in what to do.

This is in addition to those dreadful neighbors who should be egged. Evil or Very Mad
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
From a scientific Darwinian perspective Cal the neighbours did exactly what any well-bred, respectable monkey would do surely? I understood you are in favour of Darwinian perspectives. You sound more like a Christian to me.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:03 pm
@spendius,
Like a Christian? That's almost an insult, spendius.
0 Replies