Relationships can be tough

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:16 am
Quote:
LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British couple who married in a lavish Second Life wedding ceremony are to divorce after one of them had an alleged "affair" in the online world.

Second Life users can interact and form relationships with other players' avatars.

Amy Taylor, 28, said she had caught husband David Pollard, 40, having sex with an animated woman. The couple, who met in an Internet chatroom in 2003, are now separated.

"I went mad -- I was so hurt. I just couldn't believe what he'd done," Taylor told the Western Morning News. "It may have started online, but it existed entirely in the real world and it hurts just as much now it is over."

Second Life allows users to create alter egos known as "avatars" and interact with other players, forming relationships, holding down jobs and trading products and services for a virtual currency convertible into real life dollars.

Taylor said she had caught Pollard's avatar having sex with a virtual prostitute: "I looked at the computer screen and could see his character having sex with a female character. It's cheating as far as I'm concerned."
The couple's real-life wedding in 2005 was eclipsed by a fairy tale ceremony held within Second Life.

But Taylor told the Western Morning News she had subsequently hired an online private detective to track his activities: "He never did anything in real life, but I had my suspicions about what he was doing in Second Life."

Pollard admitted having an online relationship with a "girl in America" but denied wrongdoing. "We weren't even having cyber sex or anything like that, we were just chatting and hanging out together," he told the Western Morning News.

Taylor is now in a new relationship with a man she met in the online roleplaying game World of Warcraft.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/14/second.life.divorce/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Kind of makes my relationship woes feel trivial...?

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,188 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:04 am
@Diest TKO,
Believe my, it is not your relationship which is trivial.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:40 am
@roger,
It was a joke. I don't have a relationship with anyone right now...

I guess the irony for me is that it seems ridiculous to have such strong emotions towards a person's digital persona, yet here at A2K we see the merging of human and digital persona all the time including the raising of emotions.

Perhaps we believe we are far separated from this kind of thing, but maybe not as far as we think.

LOL

T
K
O
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:54 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Quote:
Amy Taylor, 28, said she had caught husband David Pollard, 40, having sex with an animated woman. The couple, who met in an Internet chatroom in 2003, are now separated.

What this thread needs is a picture of the unfortunate couple:

The Sun: Second Wife

Virtually over ... David and Amy Pollard:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00650/SNN1413A-682_650205a.jpg

How they look in the virtual world ... David AKA hunky Dave and Amy AKA Laura:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00650/SNN1413C-682_650183a.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 12:18 pm
Instead of "Second Life" they should rename it into "Dreamworld".

Life itself is tough enough, why on earth would one create a second life?
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Instead of "Second Life" they should rename it into "Dreamworld".

Life itself is tough enough, why on earth would one create a second life?

Yeah... and work sucks too. Who wants a second job?

T
K
O
0 Replies